PDA

View Full Version : How much moisture is in the bag

mikew09
15-06-2010, 9:26pm
Bought some silica sachels today to put in my camera bag just in case. Normally leave it open and never get it wet.
Well this has scared teh hell out of me. The packet has only been in my camera bag (Slingshot 300 AW) about 4 hrs and the crystals are going pink already - pink indicating thebeads are fully saturated - I think I will look into a storage cabinet.

mikew09
16-06-2010, 7:46am
Last night I through another satchlet in my camera bag making it two, each one is recommended for about 300mm cube or more depending on conditions. The one I put in midday yesterday is about 75% pink crystall inidactor and the one I put in last night is about 30% pink indicator.

I red an article that states - for mould to grow, humidy must remain above 70% for min of 24 hrs. So, there is obviously moisture in my camera bag, but would assume that if I was to leave a satchel on my desk it may have the save results.
Interested to hear other experience, these things cost $25 for 3 satchels and on the instructions are said to be good for only 4 recharges as the crystals loose there effectivenes each recharge. I actually expected these things to take maybe a couple of weeks to become saturated - am I naive? Is it normal for them to absorb so much moisture this quickly or do I need to give my back a good old airing and some sunlight to ensure it is as moisture free as possible.
I am also mindful that carrying the backpack around you do tend to sweat a little on the back, is this moisture going into the bag or do it whisk away with the air padding on the pack.

I did fine this product on the web http://www.zorb-it.com/Scripts/prodList.asp zorb-it, anybody used them?

mikew09
16-06-2010, 10:14am
Bump - any takers

Gavvvvvin
16-06-2010, 11:40am
You paid $25 for 3 satchels? HK sells them for next to nothing.

My bags been soaked a few times so I thread in about 10 little 5 gram satchels. After about a week some crystals have a slight pinky tinge.

mikew09
16-06-2010, 11:53am
Hmmm, these are 1 ounce satchels. I feel a bit ripped off to be honest. For the size of the packet I expected it to last quite a time. Just thought my bag felt a little like there was moisture about, like on a day that is a little humid you get that feel on things. Just walked into my regular camera shop and asked if they had silica crystals. I really thought they would have a stock of different types or maybe the better ones available. They only had moisture Muncher which I assumed would be OK.

Not all the crystals have gone pick as I said - doesn't say if you wait till all turn pink. Anyway, the other thing I am a buit peeved about is on the outside of the pack it says for camera bags etc, but when you read the instructions it say they are only effective in air tight storage.
I am in the process of ordering a better more cost effective product for my bag but am uncertain as to what to use - hence looking to more experienced users for some assistance.

Mike

flash
16-06-2010, 12:29pm
well thats scared me enough to look into buying some of these bags, thanks for the heads up!

BUGSnBIRDS
16-06-2010, 12:38pm
I'm going to order a couple of these in the near future as I live in a cold wooden house- there are different sizes and types on the web page but take note of his 'please note' comment. Hope it helps :)

http://www.silicagel.com.au/products/Hydrosorbent-Silica-Gel-Dehumidifier-40-grams.html#reviews

flash
16-06-2010, 1:37pm
just placed my order!

mikew09
16-06-2010, 3:11pm
well thats scared me enough to look into buying some of these bags, thanks for the heads up!

hi flash, I tread my gear like a new born baby - no money in my pocket to replace a mouldy lens. It is a really concern if you do some reading, but be careful not to get paranoid, it is easy to get wound up over this. I have tried to find the thread by an AP-er about what it takes to get mould started and it is something like 70% or higher humidity for 24 + hrs. I also read a thread tht you should remove teh cap and hit your lens a few times with you flash before putting it away in a bag or the like for any length of time.. Aparently this is supposed to kill any spours that a just waiting for the conditions to attach - I am a little sceptical on this one but have started doing it just the same.

Regardless, I am investing $50 in setting up a cabinet with dry back and a lamp just in case.

Mike

mikew09
16-06-2010, 3:13pm
I'm going to order a couple of these in the near future as I live in a cold wooden house- there are different sizes and types on the web page but take note of his 'please note' comment. Hope it helps :)

http://www.silicagel.com.au/products/Hydrosorbent-Silica-Gel-Dehumidifier-40-grams.html#reviews

This looks the go - I see they have humidy card indicators also - I think I may place an order tonight, like the idea of the metal box too.

Thanks,

Mike

mikew09
16-06-2010, 3:14pm
just placed my order!

I will be as soon as I finish work - crikey, didn't I get ripped of the city camera shop, now that is embarrasing.

kevinj
16-06-2010, 3:40pm
Go to the Supermarket,the section where the Kitty litter is,a 2Kg bag of Silica is about $12,a pair of Pantyhose to put it in(cut to the size you want and tie it up) and your set.

Paul G
16-06-2010, 3:52pm
I go around to shoe-stores and ask for any old silica sachets from shoe boxes. Likewise I have a friend who makes hardwood outdoor furniture and he gets the silica sachets in all the boxes of nuts and bolts he orders. They are all pretty well dry when I get them and I just replace them every month or so and it doesn't cost me anything but my time or a dollar in postage-stamps ;)

KevPride
16-06-2010, 4:40pm
just placed my order!

Last I heard it doesn't rain in Port Pirie, have to have humidity to be a concern like QLD & Northern NSW etc.

If you are travelling into those areas then the measures stated are needed but generally SA has a very dry climate.

mikew09
16-06-2010, 4:47pm
I go around to shoe-stores and ask for any old silica sachets from shoe boxes. Likewise I have a friend who makes hardwood outdoor furniture and he gets the silica sachets in all the boxes of nuts and bolts he orders. They are all pretty well dry when I get them and I just replace them every month or so and it doesn't cost me anything but my time or a dollar in postage-stamps ;)

I like that solution, I have a contact in PC hardware, I wonder if I could do the same.

flash
16-06-2010, 4:56pm
Kevin you're right, we dont get much and the climate is very dry which is why I've aged so well! but it wont hurt to throw a little bag or three in there! too much money to replace

mikew09
16-06-2010, 4:58pm
Kevin you're right, we dont get much and the climate is very dry which is why I've aged so well! but it wont hurt to throw a little bag or three in there! too much money to replace

Yep, I'm with you - keep that bag dry.

BUGSnBIRDS
16-06-2010, 5:00pm
Yep, I'm with you - keep that bag dry.

+ 1 , precautionary measure me thinks

mikew09
16-06-2010, 5:02pm
just placed my order!

Flash, did you order from the website or via phone or similiar? I was hoping to order tonight.

flash
16-06-2010, 5:13pm
website mate, quick and clean! paid with paypal!

kwokask
16-06-2010, 5:21pm
After someone noticed spidery residue (from fungus or mould) on one of my filters a couple of years ago, I have been paranoid about my gear - and I live in Sydney, not the most humid place!

I have since bought a dry box where I keep all my equipment when not in use. The demoisturising part requires recharging every few weeks, but it definitely keeps the moisture away.

Schmenz
16-06-2010, 5:30pm
hmmmn i might raid the camera and laptop bags at work and get all the little sachets out!

ive never worried about it. my camera sits in a bag in a cupboard and doesnt get used very often :(

mikew09
16-06-2010, 5:34pm
After someone noticed spidery residue (from fungus or mould) on one of my filters a couple of years ago, I have been paranoid about my gear - and I live in Sydney, not the most humid place!

I have since bought a dry box where I keep all my equipment when not in use. The demoisturising part requires recharging every few weeks, but it definitely keeps the moisture away.

My line of thinking is even if you live in a dry area, it is possible to generate the right conditions with you bag etc if they get damp, maybe sweating with back packs. Much less so but can't do any harm.

ricnak
16-06-2010, 6:15pm
The only way I can sleep at night in QLD is knowing that my gear is tucked away in a Legend dry cabinet. Kayell stock them.

piXelatedEmpire
16-06-2010, 7:46pm
I hadn't even thought about this before stumbling into this thread :eek:

mikew09
16-06-2010, 8:23pm
OK, I have ordered two of those suckers. Will keep one in my bag at all times and one in the glass front cabinet I know store my gear in. Sign, I feel I can breath a little easier now.

Boofhead
16-06-2010, 8:43pm
Ok, ok, you have scared me enough. I am now looking into buying a dry cabinet.

Andrew

clm738
16-06-2010, 9:02pm
Mike, give "para" a PM. He lives in Cairns and should be able to help you with humidity control. They have a lot of stuff up there at places like dive shops that you cannot get down here.

mikew09
18-06-2010, 8:51pm
Ordered two 40 gram Silica Get units yesterday - arrived today, 1 in the back pack and 1 in the cuboard - Phew!, a sign of releif.

Will still pm para, interested to see what there approach is with humidy control.

Darvidanoar
18-06-2010, 9:18pm
Yep I've been running one of the reusable ones. Amazing how often you have to recharge, but at least I have some peace of mind.

I bought mine from the case shop (http://www.caseshop.com.au/online/online.cgi?cart_id=2721165.88754&pid=162) in Capalaba

mikew09
18-06-2010, 9:40pm
Good to here David, I expect the one in my bag will need more recharges than the one in the cabinet. Do you find they take long to recharge and how often do actuall need too?

Mike

Darvidanoar
18-06-2010, 9:46pm
Good to here David, I expect the one in my bag will need more recharges than the one in the cabinet. Do you find they take long to recharge and how often do actuall need too?

Mike

The instructions for recharging are: 3 hours at 150 degrees celsius. So I always give it the full three hours. I probably do it about once a month.

Breaks my wife's heart to see the oven running for 3 hours just for that....

stevemack
18-06-2010, 9:51pm
Mike fair call to you for being paranoid,totally understandable with the price of lenses but i think your letting get to you a bit to much i have kept my camera in the boot of my car in a non brand padded camera bag nothing special for two years and never had mould condensation form anywhere on the camera or in the lens and i can guarantee there would be moisture in my bag over night in these cold nights.

steve.

mikew09
18-06-2010, 9:54pm
The instructions for recharging are: 3 hours at 150 degrees celsius. So I always give it the full three hours. I probably do it about once a month.

Breaks my wife's heart to see the oven running for 3 hours just for that....

Thanks David, hmmm, once a month wont be too painful if that is the case for me. Ta

Philr
18-06-2010, 9:58pm
Good to be cautious but like Stevemack says I leave my stuff in the car a fair bit too and it goes out in summer and gets stormed on and the bag and camera gets wet. I give it a quick dry with a towel but dont stress too much about it. I have never used silicia gel or anything else and never had an issue.

mikew09
18-06-2010, 10:00pm
Mike fair call to you for being paranoid,totally understandable with the price of lenses but i think your letting get to you a bit to much i have kept my camera in the boot of my car in a non brand padded camera bag nothing special for two years and never had mould condensation form anywhere on the camera or in the lens and i can guarantee there would be moisture in my bag over night in these cold nights.

steve.
I agree mate - I am definately paranoid. But figured $12 was a worth while spend even if just for piece of mind. That was so weird when reading your post, I was only thinking about that today driving to work. I was thinking about your post of the sunrise (Macarrel sky I think you called it) when you ran out in just your daks to take a shot, I remembered you saying you had to grap your camera out of the boot of the car - I was wondering how you cope with moisture. Ha, pyshic, theres the anwser. that was wierd.

Thanks Steve, interesting to hear your comments,

Mike

mikew09
18-06-2010, 10:06pm
Good to be cautious but like Stevemack says I leave my stuff in the car a fair bit too and it goes out in summer and gets stormed on and the bag and camera gets wet. I give it a quick dry with a towel but dont stress too much about it. I have never used silicia gel or anything else and never had an issue.

That is interesting to hear Phil along with David's comments.. I suppose the web can be accountable to an extent, did a search on mould / fungus and it seemed pretty possible and much more common than I had expected. Fair to say with the cost of items a bit of panic can set in.

Thanks for the comments, good to have some real experience feed back from locals - ta

mikec
18-06-2010, 11:08pm
mikew09, if you are really so worried about moisture coming in contact with your gear then storing it in your normal bag with just silica gels isn't going to cut it.

You should probably get something that won't allow moisture to enter the case / enclosure as normal camera bags are not air tight, You are basically throwing money away at the moment because you need to make sure no air / moisture can enter the environment in which you are storing the gear to let the silica gels bags do their job.

Darvidanoar
19-06-2010, 6:04am
mikew09, if you are really so worried about moisture coming in contact with your gear then storing it in your normal bag with just silica gels isn't going to cut it.

You should probably get something that won't allow moisture to enter the case / enclosure as normal camera bags are not air tight, You are basically throwing money away at the moment because you need to make sure no air / moisture can enter the environment in which you are storing the gear to let the silica gels bags do their job.

While I agree most camera bags are not hermetically sealed, I'm pretty sure air doesn't extactly flow freely through mine (unless I leave it open).

You have only to roll down the top of the bag inside a box of corn flakes to keep them fresh, you don't need to keep them in sealable plasticware.

I certainly don't go as far as keeping my gear in a dry storage cabinet but keeping some dessicant (that has an indicator so I can see when it needs recharging) in my kit is some cheap, as I said, peace of mind.

flash
19-06-2010, 11:05am
as I see it a bag of moisture sucker upperer stuff is going to cost between $5 and $15, in some cases free, takes up bugger all room and can only do good, I've only just updated my gear and I am in the red, so far, roughly 3 gorillas, I intend to get another two lenses which will add another $2,000.00 on the total, the gel sacks are a small price to pay for insurance, I travel and would not have thought too much about the moisture content in the northern areas, never have before, but looking back that was pretty stupid of me, I will be taking the container wherever I go from now on, I have arranged a little "pocket" for it now, note to self....... "get a larger camera bag, this lowepro inverse aw 200 is too small"

mikew09
20-06-2010, 10:09am
Have to agree, camera bags are not airtight but I do think they provide an relatively controlled airspace and still worth a silica pack. Not really planning to use my bag as the actual storage unit. I have a timber cabinet with glass doors ( much like the camera shops) that I am setting up for general storage and the bag for outings etc.
Anyhow, I am working to supresee my paranoia :-), maybe it is not as scarey as my first impressions as long as you take some simple recautions.

peterb666
20-06-2010, 11:08am
Note you can re-generate your silica gel by popping them in the oven for an hour or two at 120 to 150 deg C.

mikec
20-06-2010, 3:51pm
While I agree most camera bags are not hermetically sealed, I'm pretty sure air doesn't extactly flow freely through mine (unless I leave it open).

You have only to roll down the top of the bag inside a box of corn flakes to keep them fresh, you don't need to keep them in sealable plasticware.

I certainly don't go as far as keeping my gear in a dry storage cabinet but keeping some dessicant (that has an indicator so I can see when it needs recharging) in my kit is some cheap, as I said, peace of mind.

While air won't freely flow through the bag, the enviroment inside a normal camera bag will adapt to what the outside enviroment is as it isn't air tight, it will have a similar humidity to that of the outside air, just a slightly delayed one as the bag will cause a lag in the humdity changing within the bag. You'll actually find too that your cornflake pack is much better than a camera bag at keeping humdity out as it isn't permiable and rolling the top over a few times will do an ok job, much better than the zips on a camera bag or the material.

While on that, free flowing air is actually better than no air flow, its the same as the underside of a house, you need airflow to ensure the moisture doesn't accumulate and cause mold / mildew to build up. The reason your silica bags are changing colour is because it isn't a sealed enviroment.

Look I'm not an advocate of dry cupboards, my gear lives in its camera bag, I'm just saying if you are serious, get a proper case that can be sealed. If I lived far north QLD or somewhere similar I would worry about it though.

tim71
21-06-2010, 8:46pm
Hi Mike,

have a look at/search this forum for a post by Dwarak 2/3/2010 on Pelican dry cases and for a post by Tricky 20-12-08 on fungus, you might find the second page of Trickys post more useful than the first.

I found the threads in these two posts very useful wrt to battling humidity.

cheers,

Tim

mikew09
22-06-2010, 2:50pm
Hi Mike,

have a look at/search this forum for a post by Dwarak 2/3/2010 on Pelican dry cases and for a post by Tricky 20-12-08 on fungus, you might find the second page of Trickys post more useful than the first.

I found the threads in these two posts very useful wrt to battling humidity.

cheers,

Tim

Thanks Tim, worth a read for sure. I consider one of those hard cases before I upgrade my kit - which is happening soon - woowhoo.