PDA

View Full Version : Flash/Ambient Sunset Portraits .. good read !!

bigdazzler
14-06-2010, 9:02pm
Heres a very good post from Dave Hobby at strobist, on balancing flash and twilight/sunset ambient when shooting portraits.

Very good read, and simply explained, for anyone wanting to try this out for the first time.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/06/free-custom-backdrops-delivered-daily.html

dche5390
22-06-2010, 12:12am
Easy read? My brain turned to mush!

Lani
22-06-2010, 9:21am
Thanks Darren, definitely a good read! :th3:

RamblinR
30-06-2010, 11:04pm
Thanks for the link, much appreciated.

bigbaz
06-07-2010, 11:50am
A bit out of my league at the moment, i might read that in 6 months

Adrian Fischer
06-07-2010, 3:26pm
It is a good read. And every time I visit that site I learn something or something I thought I knew becomes a little clearer.

bigdazzler
06-07-2010, 5:12pm
A little patronising I thought, but often a good idea to go over the basics, surprising what you forget over time, or if you haven't shot that style for a while.

Im sorry .. how so ??

bigdazzler
06-07-2010, 8:53pm
Mod: deleted quoted text and comment (now not needed)

As for Dave Hobbys blog not being "direct" or "factual", I guess we'll just need to agree to disagree on that mate ;) I guess theres a reason he made Time Magazines list of popular blogs of 2010.

MarkChap
06-07-2010, 9:02pm
Great read Darren, thanks

Has actually inspired me for next week end I think, was going to spend some time just experimenting, might add this at the end of the day, I know a great spot.

As for David Hobby being condescending ?? - What tha ?

bigdazzler
07-07-2010, 7:22am
Great read Darren, thanks

Has actually inspired me for next week end I think, was going to spend some time just experimenting, might add this at the end of the day, I know a great spot.

As for David Hobby being condescending ?? - What tha ?

Yea its a good site mate ... very useful for lots of things and different ways to use your small flashes.

ummm .. yea that bit had me a touch confused as well. Ah well .. horses for courses as they say :D

maccaroneski
07-07-2010, 10:28am
This is the only blog that I follow religiously. As to the condescending bit, I think that he just has a flair for writing about lighting, but his attempts at humour are pretty lame. I can *almost* see how that can come across as condescending, but I think that it's just a reasonably poor style.

Cannot fault him whatsoever for content though - just brilliant.

bigdazzler
07-07-2010, 10:34am
This is the only blog that I follow religiously. As to the condescending bit, I think that he just has a flair for writing about lighting, but his attempts at humour are pretty lame. I can *almost* see how that can come across as condescending, but I think that it's just a reasonably poor style.

Cannot fault him whatsoever for content though - just brilliant.

I think that if someone was to you read a one-off post you could take him the wrong way .. but as you delve into it more you quickly realise that, as you say, thats just his style. I think hes just a lighting geek to be honest and it comes across in his text :D

100% agree .. he knows his stuff thats for sure.

maccaroneski
07-07-2010, 10:36am
I think hes just a lighting geek to be honest and it comes across in his text :D

Watch his DVD and you won't just *think* that he's a lighting geek, you'll know :)

bigdazzler
07-07-2010, 10:39am
Watch his DVD and you won't just *think* that he's a lighting geek, you'll know :)

Seen it ... Not a bad thing though. Im a little bit of one too I reckon :lol:

Keza
15-07-2010, 12:25pm
Strobist is a great site learn something every time I visit it or refreshes the memory

MATT
15-07-2010, 5:32pm
Thanks for the link. I have been missing in action and this has rekindle a little inspiration

MATT