PDA

View Full Version : buying a DSLR

annainoz
14-06-2010, 4:42pm
Hey everyone,
A quick question. I'm looking at buying a DSLR in a month or so and budget depending .. but I ask your advice.. is it silly to go straight to a 50D ?

My budget would probably allow a 500D (plus the bits and pieces like lens hood, polarizer thingy, camera bag etc) but for someone new to DSLR do you think it would be silly to get a 50D.

I'm thinking maybe it's wise to start off at the 500D level and in some years time upgrade if I feel comfy with the DSLR at the time. I don't want to get in over my head and get a flash fancy camera and with no idea how to use it to it's full extent.

I've been reading soooo many posts and ppl have gone from a 400D to the 50D so they are quite capable in the DSLR zone, which is why it got me thinking rather than jump in the deep end with a 50D, learn to swim first with 500D.

Any advice will be great. Yep I know there is the Nikon D5000 out there too but I'm favouring Canon at this point in time.

cheers
Anna

ricktas
14-06-2010, 4:50pm
No not silly to to a 50D at all.

The differing levels add additional features, but you also lose some of the 'consumer' features. A 50D will give you one hell of a camera, but you will lose things like scene modes, where you can just dial in macro, landscape, portrait etc on the wheel. A 50D is going to make you work more as a photographer and you will need to learn about the camera features readily, rather than being able to rely on a dial to setup the camera quickly for say a macro shot (the flower icon on many lower level DSLR and Point and Shoot camera's).

A 50D should give you years of good use and stunning photos. Not that a 500D won't, but as you go up the camera levels, the benefits outweigh the loses.

No matter what DSLR you get, you have a learning curve ahead of you.

Now the alternate could be true here as well. Maybe get the 500D and invest your extra money in good quality lenses. A good lens will last a lifetime. A camera body is obsolete (but still fully usable) within about 2 years. So you could consider the 500D, some better lenses, and then in a few yeas upgrade your camera body to a 70D 80D or whatever is the current higher level model at that time.

Confused? hehe! There is no perfect answer, and there is also no wrong way to go about this as well.

flash
14-06-2010, 4:54pm
I shot straight up to the 50d from a Fuji s9500 and I would do it again, I am "growing into" instead of growing "out of" my camera, yep it's a bit dearer and yep it's a bit more complex but thats the fun side, I got the 50d with the 18-200 lens, looking at a 100mm 2.8 macro and a 10-22 wide angle a cpl polarising filter and I reckon I should be right for life, buy the 50d, you will never regret it!

etherial
14-06-2010, 5:09pm
I think Rick gives some good advice. I am one of those that started on a 450D and learnt a lot from that. I then upgraded to a 7D. The 450D was a good option because it taught me what I needed from my camera and I also managed to sell it for a decent price too! When I felt the 450D was holding me back and what I needed (higher ISO shooting, faster focusing for moving subjects, fast fps shooting) I knew the 7D was the answer for me. But had I been trying to make the decision when I first started out between a 5D and a 7D I could have quite easily got on the wrong track and bought something that didn't suit me.

Having said all that, the 50D is a great middle of the line camera. I don't think the learning curve would be too big a jump from the 500 to the 50. I wouldn't get caught up with scene modes and the like, once you move past the basics you won't use them anyway.

I think you will still get great shots with the 500, save the money, take the time to learn it, and put the money towards things you find you need as you learn rather than trying to buy it all up front.

A great site for Canon camera reviews is http://www.the-digital-picture.com/

bigdazzler
14-06-2010, 6:06pm
Hey everyone,
A quick question. I'm looking at buying a DSLR in a month or so and budget depending .. but I ask your advice.. is it silly to go straight to a 50D ?

Heya Anna ... if you can afford it. Get it. :th3:

I got the 50d with the 18-200 lens, looking at a 100mm 2.8 macro and a 10-22 wide angle a cpl polarising filter and I reckon I should be right for life

famous last words mate .. :lol:

Indigo
14-06-2010, 6:24pm
I dont think it is at all silly to start with a 50D, my first DSLR was a Canon 350D, which came with a steep learning curve, over the years that I had this camera I became very comfortable when using, and knew its strong and not so strong areas - I have upgraded to a 7D - back into the learning.
Bottom Line
It doesn't matter where you start, you will have a learning curve - if you are keen, you will learn to use your camera to its fullest. :D

Cheers Indigo

Analog6
14-06-2010, 6:35pm
I'll put in my usual 2c worth which is don't overlook the used equipment market, via places like this forum, as the cameras have usually been looked after and are only sold on as the person has upgraded. You definitely get more 'bang for your buck'. This might enable you to get some 'better' lenses straight up.

flash
14-06-2010, 6:35pm
yeah i gots me a sneaky suspicion you may be right Darren! already glancing at the telephoto's but oh boy the price scares the beejesus out of me, $3,000 or more for a lens YIKES!!!!!

mikew09
14-06-2010, 7:18pm
From personal experience, I would suggest going the 50D. I wen the 400D thinking I would upgrade to a 40D later. The 400D is a great beginners DLSR but you will find you will quickly out grow some of the features. Your first camera is a substancial outlay and you may find yourself short on funds when you want to upgrade. The way I see it, better to buy a model to grow into rather than grow out off.
Defiantely go the 50D.

etherial
14-06-2010, 7:35pm
One thing to point out though, the 450D and subsequently 500D and 550D are a big improvement on the 350/400D that many here have experience with upgrading from. I think you can't go wrong between the 550 and the 50, they are both great cameras.

annainoz
14-06-2010, 9:58pm
Thnx for your responses.

I've looked and looked at so many photos .. from the varying Canon models and the 5D mkII just blows me away and that's way out of my league so I just think the 50D will give me happiness. As much as the XXXD's produce super photos, I just don't think I would be happy enough unless I get a 50D lol.

Once again it depends on budget and I won't know that until after taxes are done. However I will settle for a 500D or 550D and as someone else mentioned, I will grow into it. I have alot of learning to do and no matter which camera, the challenge will surely be there. Having forums like these are worth their weight in gold.

re classifieds here, I read in the rules that you have to be a member for 30 days or have 50 posts if I want to sell something but doesn't say anything about having 50 posts for buying or did I miss that ?

peterking
14-06-2010, 10:34pm
Personally I would skip the 500 series and go for the 50D if the budget permits. I recently went from a 350D to a 7D and whilst the 350 was a great camera I am finding it at times difficult to move to the 7 due to the many basic function changes. Yes they both take great images but the functionality difference between the two is immense. If you start with the 50 then go the 5 or 7 later you will not have a great change in functions as they are functionally similar.
As for "Jump in the deep end", personally it's the only way to go. I haven't yet met anyone who didn't rise to the challenge. Some are just a bit slower at it.

GJC
18-06-2010, 9:01am
I too have just gone from a 350D to a 7D.

I think it really depends on your budget and how much photography you're going to do. I really found photography again as a hobby when I bought my 350D and within 18-24 months I wanted more (more speed, more features, etc). I waited past the 40D and 50D and when the 7D came out, it was the sweet spot for me. However, in the meantime I spent money on a good lens (100-400 EF-L IS).

As Rick says, there's no right answer for everybody.

It's hard to argue with the value of the 500D or 550D. I've been happy with my journey; and I'd probably recommend the same. Go with a 550D and spend the extra money on good lenses, rather than buying the 50D and putting up with cheaper lenses. Then in a year or two, you'll have worked out what's really important to you in a DSLR and there'll be new cameras to choose from.

nickant44
18-06-2010, 3:37pm
I bought my first DSLR early this year.
I'm on a tight budget so I went this way:
I bought an as new 40D body, added a new 18-55 IS + 55-250 IS + 50 f1.8 - all for the cost of a brand new 50D.
These are very basic lenses but also easy to sell in a year and upgrade to something better.
My partner used to borrow the 40D but found it larger and heavier than she would like.
She bought a near new 450D with 18-55 IS lens a couple of weeks ago and is much happier with using it.
The 50D/500D physical differences are quite large.
Go into a store and handle both cameras before deciding.
I'd go for the 50D rather than the 500D if video is not important to you - the control layout, extra LCD screen and stronger build quality would be factors.

Tikira
18-06-2010, 5:55pm
We had a similar quandry when we were choosing a camera (except in Nikon brand) , and chose a D60. Now it is 18 months down the track, and today we have added a D300s to our "family".

If we had the time over we would have gone a better body first up, as Wayne quickly found he wanted the extra features. But that is us. The D60 will be gifted to me- so now I have to learn how to use it :eek:, but I already know I will prefer the smaller size, and simpler features.

So check out both your options, and do some homework, decide how addicted you think you will end up, weigh up the costs, have a play with both to see which feels better, and be happy with your choice.

Di