PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D700 - error message

creativepro
14-06-2010, 2:03pm
Had my D700 on manual with my 24-70 mm lens The first photo I took, camera did its thing - no problem. This photo was of a reflection in a water puddle

The 2nd time ( 1 min later) photographing the same item,
the shutter would not work - r 06 came up in the control Panel.

This error message is till there when endeavouring to taking any photo and the shutter does not work i e unable to push the shutter down

I would be grateful for some advice

thank you

sue

I @ M
14-06-2010, 3:21pm
Bit of a strange one Sue but I will attempt to figure it out.

the r 06 sounds more like the "shots remaining till buffer is full" message but it should show around 16 instead of 6 in nef file format.

I would have a try at clearing the buffer by holding down the delete button (rubbish bin ) while turning the camera off and see if that changes the message.

Other than that I can't think of anything that jumps out straight away other than maybe a full default reset to the menu system.

It doesn't sound like a contact problem between the lens and the body but giving the contacts a bit of a clean with a microfibre cloth is never a bad idea anyway.

arthurking83
14-06-2010, 6:35pm
The number following the r symbol is user definable.

I've set mine to 12 also, but I think the default was 06(on the D300 at least) and I guess if Sue hasn't changed that setting (a5 Max Continuous Release), I guess that the D700 is set similarly.

So if you set the buffer full setting to six then you see r06, if you set the buffer to nine, then you get r09.. etc, etc.

You should see that symbol every time you half-press the shutter release.. this is normal.

Why the camera won't fire is beyond my comprehension... without more detail that is.

things to try Sue:
remove and reattach the lens. Try another lens. Set camera to [A]perture mode(or any other).

Pressing the [Qual] button on the mode 'dial'(over on the far left) AND the bracketing button(over on the far right) at the same time for about two seconds is a hard reset for the camera.
The two buttons have green dots near, or on them.. pressing them concurrently makes the camera reboot, that's if nothing else works.

JohnAH
23-06-2010, 9:56am
This is probably way off the mark...but exploring all possibilities. You haven't accidentally knocked the CSM switch to Manual focus and have the menu setting a1/a2 set to focus so the camera will only fire when the lens is in focus.

JohnAH
23-06-2010, 12:39pm
Sorry I just re-read your post and saw you had the camera on manual :o It still maybe worthwhile checking the a1/a2 settings.