PDA

View Full Version : Lens/gear storage whilst shooting

chriso145
12-06-2010, 10:01pm
Hey Guys,

I was wondering how you guys carry/store your gear when you're out on a shoot and you don't have easy access to a camera bag.

I shoot sports and I know alot of people use the Thinktank Beltpack range. Has anyone used these? Whats the difference between the Skin lineup and the Modular Lineup?

All I really want to carry is a Flash, a wideangle lens and maye a TC or other small bits and pieces.

The ThinkTank stuff does all that, but are there any alternatives?

Cheers
Chris

kingwheatie
12-06-2010, 10:19pm
Hi Chris, i use the ThinkTank Modular belt set with harness. I shoot Motorsport and carry
with me, flash pouch, 17-55mm pouch, 70-200mm pouch and the squarish pouch to carry two
CPL filters, cards, cloths and sometimes Teleconvertor or fisheye lens
The difference between the two is the skins have no internal padding making them lighter
and the modular has padding and all the pouches come with pullout shower/rain covers.
Other brands would be Lowepro and also army webbing can be adapted to carry gear.
I am very happy with my set and have become a bit of a ThinkTank fan!

kiwi
12-06-2010, 10:54pm
+1 (or, what he said)

chriso145
12-06-2010, 11:35pm
Okay, so it seems the modular stuff is pretty good.

The question I have, is when your belt is loaded up, say 2 lenses a flash ect, does it begin to slip down?

IE - Is the shoulder harness required/a good investment?

Cheers
Chris

kaiser
13-06-2010, 12:17am
I have the modular set and the harness. If the belt is sized correctly and sitting just above your hips it is pretty secure on its own, I got the harness more for the fact that you can share the weight load between your shoulders and hips and adjust accordingly. The modular set is fairly chunky, the Skins are very thin and can be compressed down into luggage easier for transport - the modular set take up quite a bit of room in a bag.

ChrisN
13-06-2010, 5:49pm
Another good option might be the Newswear Chestvest (http://www.newswear.com/mmediumdetail.htm), as long as you are shooting at the sort of event where you won't be mistaken for a suicide bomber. I've used one of their Documentary models, and it is the most comfortable carry system I've used with easy access.

JorgD
13-06-2010, 6:23pm
I use a backpack, as I generally find weight carried on my back more comfortable than any other way. I have a few backpacks, depending on how much gear I need to carry. Ie. a big one that fits 2 bodies and 8 lenses, and a smaller one that fits a body and 2 lenses. (A flash can replace one of the lens slots).

chriso145
17-06-2010, 8:24pm
Hey guys,

Just an update - I picked up the Modular Kit and a Pro Speed Belt the other day.

I'm very impressed by it - very comfortable, very practical. Can't wait to use it in the field.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Chris

kingwheatie
17-06-2010, 9:18pm
Good choice Chris, you'll be happy with them.:th3: