PDA

View Full Version : The Best $300 Camera??

cyprusx
12-06-2010, 10:54am
heay guys, im choosing between these 3 camera, all priced at $300.

Canon Powershot SX120 IS, FUJIFILM S1600 and Olympus SP-600UZ. The most important thing im looking for is high picture quility. Thanks!

arthurking83
12-06-2010, 11:21am
Hi Cyprusx,

I moved your thread to the gear forum as it seemed to be the most appropriate section when asking about gear related stuff.

As for the cameras themselves.. I have no idea, and I highly doubt that anyone could give you a definite non biased opinion about which of your three are 'best'.
The problem is that it's hard to compare cameras when you don't have the cameras in question to compare each against the other.

I just had a quick look at DPR and found they don't have the Canon SX120, but that they do have the SX110 up for review.

realistically I'd have to say that it sucks! IQ looks close to appalling when you compare it to say a D70s! :p

All those pixels seem to degrade IQ instead of enhance it!

So it brings me to the question!
is this your first camera?(@ $300) it makes sense to purchase something cheap..etc,etc.

Alternatively, is this just a small lightweight travel companion to have in addition to other cameras you have?

ie. more info on exactly what you are looking for in terms of photographic ability would be helpful(to your search).

At a guess(which is probably as good as anyone else's) .. I'd say it doesn't make all that much difference which of the three you get, they're basically the same at that level.

It's only really when you get higher up the range that you'll see a few differences between each camera manufacturer and each model within the same manufacturers range at the $500-1000 price range for compacts. This like sensor quality, and lens design appear to be significantly different at that level.

bigdazzler
12-06-2010, 4:29pm
The low end Pansonic Lumix models have very good IQ for the money. I bought my little sister one for her birthday and I was pleasantly surprised. Think it was closer to $400 though.

ameerat42
12-06-2010, 5:00pm
Hi Cyprusx. These are specific models. Maybe also go to the DP Review site and have a look there. Here it is...
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/
Am.

Ploddy
12-06-2010, 5:13pm
Hi,

I concur with the comments above. I picked up a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 for $360 and it is excellent. Very good quality and optically stabilised, plus HD video.