PDA

View Full Version : Off-camera flash question

Gunna
11-06-2010, 4:30pm
I have a Canon 40D + 2 old Speedlite 580EX. I want to set up a home studio & have both strobes off-camera. I cant justify costly wireless switching devices, & would be happy with cables, operating in Manual mode.
The 40D has a PC connector. I thought the strobes did too, but find that they dont.
Anyone know how I can do it?

bigdazzler
11-06-2010, 4:51pm
Yep, just pick yourself up some Yongnuo or Cactus triggers/receivers off ebay and youre away. Should be more than about $60 for a transmitter and 2 x receivers. Cheap alternative to PocketWizards. No TTL though, and you will have to expose manually.

Alternatively, you can pick up a hotshoe adapter with a sync jack and attach it to your flash, then use your cable to connect the camera to the adapter.

dulvariprestige
11-06-2010, 5:11pm
You can pick up a 10m TTL sync cable off ebay for around $40

bigdazzler
11-06-2010, 7:11pm
I dont use Canon, but I thought the OP was saying that the flashes dont have a sync jack ?? Cable wont be any good to him without an adapter with a PC socket if that is the case.

Go the triggers mate. Theyre not $$$ and they work great for someone just starting out with O/C flash.

bigdazzler
11-06-2010, 7:11pm
I dont use Canon, but I thought the OP was saying that the flashes dont have a sync jack ?? Cable wont be any good to him without an adapter with a PC socket if that is the case.

Go the triggers mate. Theyre not $$$ and they work great for someone just starting out with O/C flash.

dulvariprestige
11-06-2010, 7:41pm
Sync cable attaches via the hot shoe

bigdazzler
11-06-2010, 7:54pm
you mean the flash end of the cable attaches to the hotshoe itself ?? no sync jack required ?? Could you post a link.

dulvariprestige
11-06-2010, 9:09pm
This is the cable i was thinking about buying, the one's i've seen on ebay are the same but curly, I'd prefer straight though.
http://flashzebra.com/products/0125/index.shtml