PDA

View Full Version : Un-Believable find - must read.

mikew09
11-06-2010, 2:38pm
Team,
JB Hi-Fi at Riverlink in Ipswich have a sale on so wondered in to look, dream & drool. I could not beleive this, a brand new 40D. I had to double check myself but yep, it is a 40D. Went straight to the sales guy and asked if it was for real and he told me it had been missed in the back room stock and sat there for time. Now they are seeling it at cost with a 17-85 bolted on - 1569. Tried to get the sale for body only but they would not separate as they said it was a canon kit.
Bitterly disappointed but just not cashed up at the moment. I figured with the sale of my 400D and the 17-85 I would end up with a very nice buy - brand new 40D. Totally bummed.
Hence, thought I would let all the Brisbane dudes and dudetes know there is a brand new 40D for sale at JB Hi-Fi Riverlink Ipswich.

Cheers,

Mike

kwokask
11-06-2010, 3:01pm
Not really sure that is that great a price. Ted's has the 50D + 17-85 for $1590 (and that's ignoring all the grey-market places).

mikew09
11-06-2010, 6:19pm
Not really sure that is that great a price. Ted's has the 50D + 17-85 for $1590 (and that's ignoring all the grey-market places).

LOL - that is the case here in Brizzy too, I just had a look and they have a 50D with same lens for 1590. I tried to bargain the 40D down but they wouldn't move - actually thought it wasn't that expensive, thanx for correcting me. Don't have the have the cash at the moment anyways.

I think I may have been a little over whelmed seeing a brand new on on the self maybe.
Figured I could sell the lens if I bought it and make for a cheap 40D, phew! ; could do the same with the 50D too.

Thanks for that - chances are the 50D deal will still be around in a month I would hope.

Taxxy
11-06-2010, 9:57pm
I have always been able to bargain jb hi-fi prices down. I got $70 off my cannon 430 flash, I find if your stubborn enough and say you have so much in cash what can be done they will play along.

phild
11-06-2010, 10:04pm
FWIW the 50D is available body only on line from Hong Kong for under $1000 incl postage, this puts them in the category where you don't have to pay customs or GST. HKBNS have them for $999 incl post and insurance.

Kantankerous
12-06-2010, 12:17am
That would make it a grey market product. Not in the same line of price as Aussie stock that you're comparing it to.

mikew09
12-06-2010, 11:20am
I have always been able to bargain jb hi-fi prices down. I got $70 off my cannon 430 flash, I find if your stubborn enough and say you have so much in cash what can be done they will play along.

Yep, I barter everything. Got 50$ of a Samsung monitor there only a couple of weeks ago but the manager wouldn't budge at all. Actually she said she would drop $99 if I also purchased an add on item.

I need to get the price down to my budget at that moment, tried for the body only which I figured I could do for maybe $750 but would not separate.

Not sure how they will go selling it but at the right price I figure it would be a worth while buy. Having said that the pricing on the 50D seems to be coming down also.

Did see a 5D mkII with 24-105 L lens as a kit for 4300, man I wish I had some cash.

Wayne
12-06-2010, 4:33pm
That would make it a grey market product. Not in the same line of price as Aussie stock that you're comparing it to.

and really what is the difference?

It is the same identical unit you get here. Send it back to HK if you need warranty, you pay freight both ways, about $100 all up or buy it here in Oz, and pay $3-400 more for it. The chances of needing warranty is slim.

bigdazzler
12-06-2010, 4:35pm
man I wish I had some cash.

Rick should put that quote in the AP banner on the homepage ... Weve all said it at some point hey :lol:

bigdazzler
12-06-2010, 4:38pm

and really what is the difference?

It is the same identical unit you get here. Send it back to HK if you need warranty, you pay freight both ways, about $100 all up or buy it here in Oz, and pay $3-400 more for it. The chances of needing warranty is slim.

EXACTLY Wayne ... I was about to question the point of that post as well.

Here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=39556) is an extensive discussion on the pros and cons of that very issue kantankerous. Check it out ;)

mikew09
12-06-2010, 5:48pm
Rick should put that quote in the AP banner on the homepage ... Weve all said it at some point hey :lol:

And no doubt I will say it again Darren - lol