PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, I finally got it!

kazdez
11-06-2010, 12:16pm
Even though I have a good set up now, Nikon D90 with multiple glass and battery grip and other stuff, I really wanted a new Nikon 70-300 VR lens, and I finally picked it up last night.
Now I just need the strength to hold it all, it seems so heavy. Can't wait for the weekend to try it out. Fort Lytton, here I come

Is anyone using one of these lens and how do they perform.

Karen

Xebadir
11-06-2010, 1:21pm
Hi, and congrats on the new purchases.

I have been using my 70-300 VR for some time now (around 3 years give or take...since I had my 55-200 accident). In fact it was all I used on my D40 for most of that period...until I decided that a wide was what I needed. I really like this lens...yes it might seem heavy (and did on the D40), and im not sure how it would feel on a D90...but on my D300 it feels perfectly proportioned and weighted for the camera....once thing to take from this lens is that at least it is lighter than the 70-200 F2.8. In terms of IQ I find this lens a good all-rounder....it does a pretty good job on wildlife and portraits, but still can take a nice general shot...and allows you to get in really close to your subject. Downsides though: watch your VR when you don't need it as it can introduce blur into your subjects, it isn't the fastest autofocus process, when fully zoomed it can really long, so be careful where you point it, its also not the fastest piece of glass...the wide open F-stop means you might have trouble in poor lighting conditions. A couple of additional things that I would bare in mind for using this lens: in terms of IQ I tend to stay away from going to full 300....up until 200 this thing is very impressive...thereafter it goes a bit downhill wide open, particularly with faster moving subjects...it also gets difficult to get a sharp as tack shot handheld in lower light. Additionally I tend to back off on the F-Stop when fully zoomed or at the other end....at F7.1 or thereabouts it does very well.

Enjoy your new glass :).

kazdez
11-06-2010, 1:46pm
Thanks Xebadir for the feedback. I have now moved my 55-200 to my D60. I usually use that lens for most things as it was and is a great allrounder. I've noted the comment about going to the full 300 so I will experiment alot in the next few weeks. I am so excited for the Weekend to come so I can go play.

Karen

rborsje
18-06-2010, 12:28am
Hi. I brought the same for use on a D700 and have been really happy with the IQ. I have a Tamron 28-200mm and have been less than impressed with it's IQ at 200mm so I trialled both on long distance shots from the top of a 6 floor building in Perth. Using the magnification mode on the D700 really showed up the Tamron - the T is really bad at 200mm. Both were stopped down to F8. The Nikkor with/without VR really was so much better IMHO. Maybe it wasn't a fair test but I sure opened my eyes on lens quality. The long end (300mm) hasn't disappointed. You need to keep in mind relativity - what lens is IQ measured against? Cheers - enjoy the lens.

Bella
18-06-2010, 8:33am
Congrats on the purchase, nothing like shiny new gear :D

arnica
21-06-2010, 2:02pm
Nice toy! Can't wait to see what it can do.

kiwi
21-06-2010, 2:08pm
Did we meet at the skating bowl the other week ? Got any of those pics to share ?