PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Workflow part 1.

Dylan & Marianne
09-06-2010, 10:16pm
This is an attempt to write a tutorial on how I go about editing a typical landscape photo.
In this case, Gullfoss from iceland. It's not about taking the image -rather trying to bring out the most of a landscape image.
The final image here:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/4685067350_26e2ae85a5.jpg

1. Lightroom steps:
- I import RAW files into lightroom and correct a few things in preference to using photoshop
- Cropping is much easier for me in lightroom
- White balance correction is best done in lightroom
- Recovery , exposure and fill light are all done with sliders and is easier though with less control than in photoshop.
- dust bunny removal is also easy in lightroom.

The original raw:
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/gallery/files/3/2/2/3/unedited.jpg

The original raw with lightroom edits:
- particularly exposure (see the histogram)
- minor colour changes
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/gallery/files/3/2/2/3/lightroom_edited.jpg

2. After exporting the image as a 16bit TIFF at 300 DPI with no sharpening, I open in Photoshop and duplicate a layer (so I never lose the original TIFF as a fallback) - On this layer I usually do a minor shadow highlight correction if the image needs it. In this case, the rocks were a tad dark, there weren't any blown highlights so highlights needed no adjustment.
I find that adjusting the slider too much usually results in the dreaded banding of colour particularly when there is blank sky.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/gallery/files/3/2/2/3/shadow_highlight.jpg

3. Next, I usually create 2 new layers that will affect the whole image: one for vibrance and one for levels. (sliders adjusted to varying degrees depending on image)

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/gallery/files/3/2/2/3/vibrance_and_levels.jpg

4. Next, I work on the colour of the images using adjustment layers for different colours. The steps to creating each of these layers are:
- Select a specific colour using the dropdown menu as in this image: In this example, I wanted to boost aquas of the water.
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/gallery/files/3/2/2/3/colour_balance.jpg

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/gallery/files/3/2/2/3/colour_select.jpg

- The icon for adjustment layers can either be navigated from the top dropdown bars or from the bottom right of screen with the layers panel.
- I chose a colour balance adjustment layer for the aquas
- a levels layer for the whites in the image to be a little brighter
- a colour balance layer for the browns in the image.
- the end result is a bunch of adjustment layers which can all be turned on and off and adjusted to varying degrees with the opacity slider.
- hopefully the image is looking a little better than originally at this stage!

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/gallery/files/3/2/2/3/layers.jpg

5. Next up : non destructive dodge and burn!
- Create a new layer in overlay mode, fill it with 50% neutral colour as per this image

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/gallery/files/3/2/2/3/dodge_and_burn.jpg

-Next, select the brush tool (B) and set the brush to very small increments and with a soft edge : typically I use 10% opacity and fill, 0% hardness for this layer.
- Then , select the colour you with to brush with from the palette on the toolbar.
- White for dodging, black for burning
- Sometimes to accentuate a colour, I might click on the palette, use the dropper on a colour on the image and use that colour as my brushing tool.
- The advantage of using this technique to dodge and burn is that you're not destroying anything in the image. And , the layer itself takes up less memory than another merged layer of the image ( I should probably upgrade my pc RAM!)

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/gallery/files/3/2/2/3/db_explanation.jpg

6. Coming to the end : Sharpening
-I've come to favour using high pass sharpening but all of the other methods have their pros and cons over this one.
- To do this, duplicate your background layer, select filter>other>highpass
- I don't usually go over 2 pixels as it may result in over sharpening
- You'll end up with a gray mess but in this state, you can see the attempted areas photoshop is trying to sharpen.
- You can then change the blend mode to vivid light -overlay or soft light depending on how harsh you want the sharpening to appear. I usually stay with overlay or soft light.
- There are some areas that you don't need to sharpen - like pure blue skies , smooth water etc. high pass will sometimes introduce noise into these areas, so I create a layer mask and remove these parts from the sharpening layer .
- hopefully the images below help explain!

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/gallery/files/3/2/2/3/high_pass.jpg

A preview of what is being sharpened
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/gallery/files/3/2/2/3/highpass2.jpg

Masking out what doesn't need to be sharpened (roughly in red)
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/gallery/files/3/2/2/3/sharpen.jpg

7. I've actually done more to this image but usually I would end here by :
- convert file to 8 bit mode
- save as TIFF or PSD with all the layers in tact
- then flatten away and the rest of it

-resizing for web
-repeat sharpen (Unsharp mask)
-border, watermark
- upload!

I hope that was helpful to someone!
Just remember, this is the workflow that I've developed and have found works best for me.
There are so many different paths you can get to the same result and each of them has their utility for different images.

kaiser
09-06-2010, 10:35pm
Thanks Dylan for taking the time to write this tutorial. Much appreciated!

Wayne
09-06-2010, 11:07pm
For someone like me with almost no PP skills, you have just opened a few doors that will hopefully help me in future. Thanks for taking the time to do this and share.

kiwi
09-06-2010, 11:12pm
Very interesting, and very useful. Way past what I've ever done also

Dylan & Marianne
10-06-2010, 6:47am
No worries guys - I forgot to mention that these steps don't really take as long as it seems - on the right side of the screen shots there's a bunch of actions that make each layer a 1 click affair !

candid
10-06-2010, 7:07am
Good on you for writing this tutorial, it's very informative. For someone like me with no PP skills it's great. Thanks!

SnowA
10-06-2010, 9:42am
Another huge thank you! While I don't use LR, the steps and ideas are very helpful.

Travelm8
10-06-2010, 10:16am
I really appreciate the tutorial, the steps you have described will help me enormously with some of my post editing, look forward to tutorial #2.
must go have to open up lightroom and play..

Cheers
John

Dylan & Marianne
10-06-2010, 11:37am
Thanks guys - I just noticed a couple of typos/omissions :(

Step 2 : is open in photoshop not lightroom !
Last step I missed out a couple of things too

scpleta
10-06-2010, 12:41pm
From the Landscape Guru himself! :th3: Thanks for sharing how you perform PP.

kiwi
10-06-2010, 1:16pm
what do you use for the framing Dylan ?

Dylan & Marianne
10-06-2010, 1:44pm
what do you use for the framing Dylan ?

Currently :
Canvas size increase 4% width , 6% height increase with white edge for 3X2 aspect
or adjust the proportions according to the dimensions eg: 2.7% width 4.8% height for a 16X9 image.

I've got a preset action for the drop shadow one which requires layers(which I've stopped using because a lot of people comment negatively on that itself and not the image presented)

Lincolnbl
10-06-2010, 2:03pm
Really appreciate people going to the trouble of writing these. Certainly an area I would like to improve on and this is a great step-by-step insight. Thanks!

Lani
10-06-2010, 3:14pm
Thanks guys - I just noticed a couple of typos/omissions :(

Step 2 : is open in photoshop not lightroom !
Last step I missed out a couple of things too

Hey Dylan, great thread.
I edited your original post to reflect the above....hopefully....let me know if it doesn't.

Dylan & Marianne
10-06-2010, 3:52pm
o thanks lani!

JazzXP
10-06-2010, 4:56pm
Just wondering why you convert to 8-bit before flattening and saving. Seems to defeat the purpose of working in 16-bit from the start as your adjustment layers will now only be working on the 8-bit data causing minor posterisation (may or may not be noticeable in the image depending on how far you go with adjustments).

lonnie
10-06-2010, 5:40pm
Bookmarking this so I can give it a go later. Thanks!

gcflora
10-06-2010, 6:56pm
Thanks Dylan. I'm very much looking forward to Part 2!

Step 5, creating the dodge/burn layer, do you have to hold down alt when clicking on the new layer icon?

weaver2j
10-06-2010, 8:58pm
Many thanks will put in my keep box

Dylan & Marianne
10-06-2010, 9:23pm
Just wondering why you convert to 8-bit before flattening and saving. Seems to defeat the purpose of working in 16-bit from the start as your adjustment layers will now only be working on the 8-bit data causing minor posterisation (may or may not be noticeable in the image depending on how far you go with adjustments).

firstly for space reasons - with all of those layers
you're right though - 16 bit would allow more leeway but secondly, because the printing people I use (and am happy with) only print 8 bit files so I'd like to know if there is any artifacts in 8 bit before I end up with a messy 20X30 :(
I guess really, I should be working in 8 bit to start off with but anecdotally, I've found that that leads to more posterisation during processing as opposed to converting at the end - no hard info to back that statement up though.

Step 5, creating the dodge/burn layer, do you have to hold down alt when clicking on the new layer icon?

yar that's right craig - I've been using the action so long I've forgotten about the alt part of it - thanks for pointing it out!

ozwebfx
11-06-2010, 1:30pm
Thanks for this.
Just to clarify .. after working in Lightroom do you open directly in Photoshop from Lightroom or are you actually exporting your tiff & opening in Photoshop seperately?

mcdesign
11-06-2010, 1:50pm
Very interesting Dylan, not too different to what I do except I don't use Lightroom but Adobe Camera Raw, hadn't thought of using the colour balance tool like that, will give it a try. Thanks.

Dylan & Marianne
11-06-2010, 2:30pm
Thanks for this.
Just to clarify .. after working in Lightroom do you open directly in Photoshop from Lightroom or are you actually exporting your tiff & opening in Photoshop seperately?

I usually export as a 16 bit TIFF then open on photoshop (haven't tried it the other way so I can't tell you if it works better or worse!)

gcflora
11-06-2010, 2:42pm
So, where is part two? LOL... Sorry, but I'm only half kidding :D

By the way, why is the export to TIFF necessary from Lightroom? Right-clicking in LR and Edit in Photoshop is exactly the same but without the intermediate TIFF file

Dylan & Marianne
11-06-2010, 4:26pm
I don't think there's any good reason for single landscapes craig - probably we do it because we've had lightroom since the RAWshooter days before it got taken over by adobe and probably because I tend to export a bunch of images from Marianne's computer before going to work on the images on my PC (we store all of our stuff on gear attached to her pc)

oh part 2 - hopefully this weekend lol

Milbs1
11-06-2010, 4:54pm
Another thank-you, lots of new stuff to try!

para
11-06-2010, 4:57pm
Good tutorial nice job

gcflora
11-06-2010, 5:09pm
That makes sense Dylan.

Jeanette
18-06-2010, 11:19am
dylan this is awesome .. many thanks . will have a good play .. cheers )

Dylan & Marianne
18-06-2010, 12:37pm
no worries jeanette - maybe this weekend I'll do a part 2 -

jimsuy
19-06-2010, 7:13pm
thanks for sharing... :)

Bella
22-06-2010, 3:54pm
Makes an amazing difference to the photo! Will bookmark this for future reference, thanks! :)

Aus Mackem
28-06-2010, 6:02pm
A great post and very helpful thanks.

stoogest
25-09-2010, 6:02pm
Fantastic tutorial there Dylan. It's given me a structured process for tackling the intricacies of photoshop, something I've been struggling with for a while now!

One question though, at what point in the process do you normally do your noise reduction? Immediately before the sharpening stage?

Cheers!
Andrew.

Dylan & Marianne
25-09-2010, 7:20pm
andrew, I usually do it right at the start on the duplicate layer of the background

dultim8
06-10-2010, 11:08am
thanks also for sharing

tanbor
14-10-2010, 9:21pm
Thanks Dylan, with a lot more practice i hope to one day be able to give this a go. Fantastic work!

SkattyKat
15-10-2010, 10:19pm
Thanks Dylan - this looks like it will be very helful when I have time to play with it.
I currently have no idea at al with post processing.

Much appreciatd

peppino
17-10-2010, 11:59am
Nice in depth tutorial..thx for sharing

Patagonia
23-11-2010, 12:09pm
Very useful, thanks!...now I`ll try and find the second part.

regards

Dylan & Marianne
23-11-2010, 3:12pm
the second part I titled the same except part 2.
I'll probably update it when I can in the next few weeks except work might prevent that

Jungle
28-11-2010, 12:12am
This is great info - but will take me a while to digest - Thanks
Jungle

dbose
01-12-2010, 11:18am
Hy Dylan - great stuff mate - I have followed it step by step in one of my photos to get the whole thing into my head - wasn't hard and very effective. There's one are I am little fuzzy about that I'll need a it of your help please.

The last part (sharpening), I did manage to create the new high pass layer; however I am unsure how to create a mask from this point (in this layer) and then smoothen the parts I don't want sharpened in red.

Would you please help? My next task is to go through the fridge tutorial which should be easier to follow after this one. Also have posted part 2 yet (wondering if I have missed it somehow).

Thaks a ton again...Cheers DJ

Dylan & Marianne
01-12-2010, 11:49am
dJ, in the high pass filter layer, you can create a mask from the one of the icons at the bottom of the layers panel (by default it sits on bottom right of the page) - there's a line of little icons there and from memory the layer mask one is the second from the left. In the last image in the tute, it's got an unlabelled arrow going to it.
part 2 is around but all of the stuff is in the fridge tutorial anyway :)
thanks for reading!

dbose
01-12-2010, 12:39pm
dJ, in the high pass filter layer, you can create a mask from the one of the icons at the bottom of the layers panel (by default it sits on bottom right of the page) - there's a line of little icons there and from memory the layer mask one is the second from the left. In the last image in the tute, it's got an unlabelled arrow going to it.
part 2 is around but all of the stuff is in the fridge tutorial anyway :)
thanks for reading!

Hi Dylan - thanks...

I must admit I am acting quite dumb now:confused013:scrtch::scrtch::confused013...

I have created the mask which shows as a blank square on the layer. Where I am getting stuck is how do I from here work on it - i.e. how do I smooth the areas I don't need sharpening ('masking out roughly in red' as per the tutorial)??

Thanks heaps...

Dylan & Marianne
01-12-2010, 6:40pm
no worries -
when you have the blank square , it the square is white, that means that all of the effect is "on"
when you press B for brush, change the brush to black at say, 20% opacity and fill, then paint away (making sure that you're painting on the mask and not the actual image)
you should see the square for the layer mask start to turn shades of gray where you've been painting - those darker areas are where the effect is slowly being erased.
if you want to actually see what you've erased, press "\" and the erased areas will show up as red. (press \ again to remove the effect)

gcflora
01-12-2010, 7:31pm
WHERE IS PART 2 You lazy @^#$&@$^&@ :D :D ;) :rolleyes:

Cheach
02-12-2010, 12:58am
Thank you for sharing. :th3:

Will give this a go.

Dylan & Marianne
02-12-2010, 6:26am
craig , dude! it's here in this forum lol - type in a search for it :P

gcflora
02-12-2010, 7:37am
craig , dude! it's here in this forum lol - type in a search for it :P

Oh. Oopsie daisy then LOL :D

John Finnan
02-12-2010, 10:27am
Thanks Dylan
There are several different layers there that I haven`t been doing and have wanted to have control over
I have fallen short in the processing side of things and this will help me to step up again
I have been watching your work on flickr for the last year and appreciate your spirit of adventure to get to a position to take many of your shots ... must be exillerating at times !!!
Anyway the colour work, masking out excessive sharpening and the dodge and burn layers will make a big difference to some of my images
I have come to realise that the biggest difference in quality work is in the processing after spending the last year and a half trying to make the difference with the camera
I have improved my camera skills greatly though
Also just being able to see what you started with and what you ended with is encouraging
What program are you using to create the the tutorial dylan ???
Thanks
John

Dylan & Marianne
02-12-2010, 11:32am
Thanks a lot john :)
didn't really use anything to create the tutorial .
I went through processing a picture from start to end and along the way, I had photoshop in background, screenshotted the relevant steps and used some crude brushes to paint in the red stuff.
I also had word open in another window for the text. Very low tech lol

gcflora
03-12-2010, 11:41am
I've got word in another window but I can't see how it helps? :confused013:

Dylan & Marianne
03-12-2010, 6:54pm
because that WORD is the final WORD ! :eek:

perla
04-12-2010, 9:41am
Thanks so much for the tuitorial!

PerfectPicture
18-12-2010, 1:41pm
Thank you so much for the time, effort and skills passed on to everybody :)

Cheers
Robert

GarageStudios
18-12-2010, 2:58pm
Great tutorial, thanks for posting it.

Dylan & Marianne
18-12-2010, 5:09pm
no worries at all robert and garagestudios

Chinook
22-03-2011, 3:11pm
Hi Dylan,

Thank you very much for your very useful post, I have very little PP skills & they go right over my head. The way you have explained things & showed pictures & diagrams have helped a thousandfold. I want to buy the full version of lightroon and after reading this I might. Dylan this is very much appreciated & I cannot wait to have a look at No 2. Cheers :th3:

Dylan & Marianne
23-03-2011, 10:08am
Thanks Chinook !
part 2 is here :
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?63332-Landscape-Workflow-part-2&highlight=landscape+workflow+part

Photo Vixen
22-05-2011, 1:48pm
Thanks heaps for such a detailed tutorial.