PDA

View Full Version : Nikon decision

Precious10
09-06-2010, 2:58pm
I have owned a Nikon D70 for many years now and enjoy what it can do. I am travelling overseas later this year, and I would like to upgrade my Nikon. Which model would you suggest, and what lenses would you purchase for travel?
I appreciate your feedback and comments, as I am new to the site and I am really enjoying the information and support that is offered.
Many thanks :)

Xebadir
09-06-2010, 3:10pm
Part of the decision relies on how the cameras feel to you (literally...go into a camera store and hold the camera). I upgraded from a D40 to a D300 not that long ago...got tired of the AF and a few other things so figured I would upgrade to a D90....didnt have the money for a new camera so went second hand...and ended up getting a D300 cheaper than a D90. You will need to decide what is most important to you....do you need the high speed or more AF points for what you shoot....does the weatherproof or tougher build seem important to how you use your camera (for instance in my case...Im a clutz...so it was). Since you have a D70 a logical upgrade would be the D90...it also has video capability and pretty good IQ...same size sensor as the D300 as well. Then of course theres the whole world of Full Frame and FX....the D700 and D3 fit in to this category.

So the 4 body choices (as I assume you don't really want to downgrade relatively speaking...but then again, have a look at the D5000...its still an up from the D70):
D90 - Pretty highly rated mid-level consumer DSLR. Has some really nice features and well suited to all purpose photography.
D300/s - Top of the range DX crop sensor, really nice durable camera....depends if you are buying new or secondhand.
D700 - Prosumer Full Frame...really nice camera and basically a stripped down D3...or pimped up D300 depending on how you look at it.
D3 - pro-level...super expensive...quite large and burdensome...I am guess its not the sort of thing you are after.

Bit hard to guess what you are looking for but I would suggest the D90 or D300...depending on whether you use scenic presets or shoot A,S,M....also depends what you shoot...wildlife/sport/etc are probably going to push you towards the D300.

Lenses for travel, again depends on where you are going....if you plan to do alot of national parks or landscapes then I would be looking to go a wide and an all purpose lens (So for instance a Sigma 10-20 and a Nikon 18-200 or something). If you were looking for a fast lens but don't really need all the zoom maybe a 17-55mm F2.8 would suit your needs...Again picking the lenses you take away depends on what you would like to do with them, and what you would like to do with your camera when you come back. In order to provide more targetted suggestions I think we would probably need to know more.

TEITZY
09-06-2010, 3:11pm
Assuming you want to stick with DX?

If so then a D90 or its replacement due out shortly and should suffice.

As far as lenses go the 16-85VR would cover most bases. If you want some more reach, the 70-300VR is a great lightweight option with decent IQ.

Cheers
Leigh

Darey
09-06-2010, 3:16pm
If it was me in this position I would seriously look at a Nikon D90 and 18 - 200 mm Lens package. The D90 will give you lots of scope to achieve great shots in most conditions and will be compatible with your existing lens.
The Nikon 18 - 200mm lens will give you a very usable range for travel photography.

swifty
09-06-2010, 4:18pm
Where are u going? What sorts of travel photography do u enjoy?
What do u find most limiting about your d70?
I think those are important questions to answer first and it will naturally skew u towards the appropriate camera/lens.
On a side note assuming u don't want to carry too much gear overseas, consider a 18-200 for a one lens solution.
For a 2 or 3 lens solution consider any of the following
sigma 10-20 or equivalent ultra wide, 16-85/18-105, 55-200/70-300.

mcdesign
09-06-2010, 4:32pm
If it was me in this position I would seriously look at a Nikon D90 and 18 - 200 mm Lens package. The D90 will give you lots of scope to achieve great shots in most conditions and will be compatible with your existing lens.
The Nikon 18 - 200mm lens will give you a very usable range for travel photography.

I agree with this choice, the 18-200 mm is a great lens and very versatile, would cover most situations baring macro.

judybee
09-06-2010, 9:29pm
I agree with this choice, the 18-200 mm is a great lens and very versatile, would cover most situations baring macro.

Not really up on which lens is great or not. Is the Nikon 18-200mm considered a 'kit lens' ? I have heard a lot of advice to buy some good lenses (I've only got my kit lenses at the moment - 18-55 and 55-200). Thanks

kiwi
09-06-2010, 9:33pm
its the best 18-200 for a Nikon

Is it Nikon's best lens in that range ? hardly, a 24-70 is far better for example

Is it better than a kit lens, hell yeah

Mr Lensbaby
10-06-2010, 9:59am
Have a very good think about where you will be traveling what you will be doing how much weight you really want to carry all day a DSLR and lens will weigh more than a brick after 4 hours

Consider a smaller camera for travel such as a Panasonic GF1 or LX3 and most important DON'T let the camera rule you enjoyment and take over the holiday

RRRoger
10-06-2010, 11:31pm
You might consider just getting the AF-S Nikkor 18-200 lens for now and use it on your D70.
I would opt to wait for the next generation DX body. Otherwise shop for a used D5000, D90 or D300s.
I had a D90 and still say it is the best camera you can buy for the money.

Avalon
11-06-2010, 4:24am
For travel, if you find yourself wanting to put one lens on a camera and leave it there all day,
you can't beat the 18-200mm IMHO.
It's so versatile, light weight in comparison with the 24-70mm, and you don't need to worry about changing lenses in rain, wind, dust etc.
Camera wise, I love my D300 :) but you may want to consider a camera with video inbuilt.

Redgum
11-06-2010, 12:35pm
I was commissioned to do some shots for Andre Reiu in Brisbane last year and used a D300 plus the 18-200 VR. The results were great without flash (night time) so that is another benefit of that particular setup.

Precious10
17-06-2010, 3:42pm
Thank you all for the great responses.:th3: I am cruising on the Queen Victoria around the Med, and will also be travelling on the Orient Express for part of the way later this year. We will then finish the trip in New York arriving there around their autumn, with lots of beautiful scenes of falling leaves and golden sunsets.

I look forward to trying out all your suggestions for Nikon, as I love the handling and results of this camera brand. The D70 screen cover annoys me no end, but overall it has been a great camera and I look forward to a new slice of fun experimenting.

When is the D90 replacement coming? What extra features will it have? Our trip begins in late September.:)

rellik666
17-06-2010, 4:10pm
Have you held the D90 & the D300.....I went from a D50 and thought I wanted a D90 till I held it....wouldn't touch it with a barge pole....Love the D300s, brilliant camera.....love the 18-200mm VR too.....not the worlds best lens but is very versitile and very tough......great range too......stays on my camera all the time.....would say it is all going to come down to how much you want to pay. but to me the D90 doesn't sit well in my hand....and TBH I didn't see the point of splashing out to go up a part step so went all the way.....

Roo

Precious10
17-06-2010, 4:18pm
Thanks Roo. I'll try the D300 as you suggested. Have you purchased from any stores online? Any ideas on where I might get a good deal.

rellik666
17-06-2010, 5:33pm
I have used DWI and Adorama and both have been very good. However I got my body from a real store and just haggled them down. I didn't get as good a deal but I wasn't far off so with postage and local warrenty I was happy. You may get a better deal with a lens but be really clear about what you want and what you want to pay....do your research....as it usually cheaper to buy lenses online, but you do give up your warrenty......

Roo

Xebadir
17-06-2010, 6:02pm
In terms of online stores I have dealt with DDP and DDE (which are both connected) as well as DWI, they are all good in my book, prompt, genuine and helpful. Cost wise it allows you to do alot better as everything retail in Australia is ridiculously overpriced. Good luck with your purchase.

joeyvaldezjr
17-06-2010, 7:26pm
I'd go for the D300s and the 18-200 if you want to just shoot and shoot and forget abour changing lenses. But if budget permits, I'd still go for the 24-70.

RRRoger
17-06-2010, 11:27pm
Thank you all for the great responses.:th3: I am cruising on the Queen Victoria around the Med, and will also be travelling on the Orient Express for part of the way later this year. We will then finish the trip in New York arriving there around their autumn, with lots of beautiful scenes of falling leaves and golden sunsets.

I look forward to trying out all your suggestions for Nikon, as I love the handling and results of this camera brand. The D70 screen cover annoys me no end, but overall it has been a great camera and I look forward to a new slice of fun experimenting.

When is the D90 replacement coming? What extra features will it have? Our trip begins in late September.:)

The screen cover on the D70 can be replaced with a Giottos Schott Glass. It is tinted optical glass and may even help you to view the image on your LCD.

I still recommend getting the Nikkor AF-S 18-200 now.
The D70 is capable, cheap and light for travel.
The D90 replacement will not be available until at least December.

Precious10
18-06-2010, 12:52pm
Thanks for your imput. I'll look at the D300 tomorrow as well as that lovely lens.
What fun.:party6:

Terri
18-06-2010, 1:21pm
Personally, I like the D90 because it's slightly smaller than the D300 (hope I'm right about that, but it feels smaller. Also, I find the dials / etc easier to use.

For a lens, I'd take a few primes. Sharp, small and light ... and if you take a few different lengths, then pretty versatile.

Oh, and I'm by far the in-expert at gear-talk! Enjoy shopping :D

Blueywa
18-06-2010, 1:57pm
I still use my D70, its a great light weight and capable unit - but like a lot of people I got the upgrade bug. After many hours researching online and visiting camera shops I settled on a new D300s.
Very happy with it and the lenses I already had work well with it - I'm the weak link.
Any good camera shop will let you try on site just take a memory card with you, try a few bodies with recommended lenses and when you get home check the results.
If you like the lenses you have already, just buy the body and "if it feels good get it" - learning how to use it is half the fun..

Tikira
18-06-2010, 7:03pm
Hi. We bought our D300s from CameraPro in Brisbane.
We have a D60 and today took possession of a D300S. As we live in Armidale we emailed several stores, enquiring about prices of Nikon warranty camera's. All replied, but the only one who could offer us a better price than their listed price was a store called CameraPro in the heart of Brisbane. This store was recommended to us by Major Panic here on AP, who has bought gear from them. They were the first to answer our email, and when we emailed yes to Jesse at 10-30 pm, by 10-40pm he had set the wheels in motion.
This is their website, and as I said, they dropped the price a little more for us. We advised them that we were referred through AP and that might have helped, so if you go there it might pay to drop AP's name.

http://camerapro.net.au/index.php

We haven't had a chance to take a photo yet as the battery isn't charged yet:(, however we are going to the coast to try it out tomorrow. The service was great, the price the best we could get, with Nikon Aus warranty and we would recommend checking them out.

Below is the thread we posted.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=55620

Wayne & Di

dche5390
19-06-2010, 7:53pm
D300. D300s. Or D90.