PDA

View Full Version : 'node release NBN plans for Tasmania - initially Midway Point, Smithton and Scottsdale

Kym
08-06-2010, 4:40pm
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1461854&p=1

Internode broadband plans via Stage 1 of the National Broadband Network have now been released. Fibre to the Home services can be ordered from today for the three Tasmanian communities of Midway Point, Smithton and Scottsdale, which are covered by this initial NBN deployment.

Wayne
08-06-2010, 8:11pm
Oh, and how I can't wait for it to come here, we are next I hope.

Kissing the slow and expensive backhaul from Tel$tra goodbye will be something I look forward to doing at the first available chance.

thelastname
17-06-2010, 9:59pm
While the plans are quite good, I still think there is room for more improvement if they really want this to work.

Speed of up to 100mbps, are we going to see these speeds in a real world environment? I guess time will tell.

Kym
17-06-2010, 10:12pm
Speed of up to 100mbps, are we going to see these speeds in a real world environment? I guess time will tell.

YES!!! And that's the point of fibre to the premises rather than copper ... no distance based degradation.

The fibre part of NBN is a major step forward. 90+% of Aussies.

This might be the one thing KRudd got right :Doh:

KLi
17-06-2010, 10:59pm
It's great to see where we are heading into the future, no more 3rd world country connection.

Tannin
17-06-2010, 11:21pm
Speed of up to 100mbps, are we going to see these speeds in a real world environment?

YES!!! And that's the point of fibre to the premises rather than copper ... no distance based degradation.

DOING!

One word answer: no. Not unless your data source is (a) fast enough to provide that speed, and (b) the link from that source (which is probably in London or San Francisco or Moscow) is also fast enough.

I don't know how companies using the NBN for to-the-home delivery are going to be hooking into the rest of the workd, but if the standard arrangements that apply now contnue, they use whatever trans-oceanic cables and satellite feeds they want to use .... and they never, ever buy enough cable bandwidth to provide you with anything like the speed your contract says you will get. Not regularly. You only get those speeds when the trans-oceanic link happens to be more-or-less idle at the time, and the links and systems further upstream are also fast enough. In other words, not very often, even with the very best ISPs, and pretty much never with the bad ones.

Will the NBN change that? Yep: but onlly in one place - and that place is in your dreams.

(But it will certainly be faster than whatever you get now. On the other hand, so is custard.)