PDA

View Full Version : Opening NEF files in Adobe Photoshop CS2

airgirl
08-06-2010, 3:51pm
Just trying to open NEF files in Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Photoshop comes up with an error saying,

'Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document'

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

fillum
08-06-2010, 4:25pm
It sounds like the version of the raw converter in CS2 doesn't support the newer NEF files from your D5000. Normally it is just a matter of downloading the newer version of Camera Raw from the Adobe website, however in this case the version you need (Camera Raw 5.4 (http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4517)) is stated as not compatible with versions of CS prior to CS4. As far as I can see that means you'll need new or upgraded software (but get some second opinions before doing that).

Cheers.

ricktas
08-06-2010, 4:26pm
Which camera? Adobe do not provide backwards compatibilty. So if you have a new model camera, the Adobe Camera Raw file for CS2 will not be able to process it.

In CS2 go to HELP > Updates and download all updates for CS2 that you can, it may solve it.

Otherwise have a look at the Adobe DNG convertor to convert your NEF raw files to DNG raw files, so you can open them with CS2

arthurking83
08-06-2010, 5:56pm
Alternatively to Ricks alternative! :p

You can use Nikon's ViewNX to convert the image to a tiff file(or jpg if you wish) and play with the tiff file in CS2.

The newer NEF files are not supprted by the old versions of Adobe RAW.
Nikon used to have an download/plugin that helped Adobe compatibility.. not sure if they do now or of that plugin works with newer NEF files on the old versions of ACR.

But regardless of how you end up doing it, if you work on a NEF file with CS2, you don't edit the NEF directly anyhow, you edit a TIFF file.

I used to convert my NEF's to TIFF and send them to CS2 via ViewNX.
(but I don't have CS2 any longer)