PDA

View Full Version : Essential Extras - and why

Kym
08-06-2010, 12:15pm
I have a friend at work who's 17yo is going to get a camera.
(Canon 550d + lens(es))
She has been using a 1000D at school and has found she loves photography.

I've had a quick chat about twin lens kit vs good glass etc. and ask that she give some thought to what types of photography she maybe interested in.
Obviously suggested she join AP ;)

But it raises a question: What basic equipment extra's are essential?

My take is this: (Within budget essentials)

Pick one or two decent lenses (maybe a prime and a fast zoom)
Pick a decent camera body
Get one or two memory cards
PP software

-- Now the nice to haves (depends a bit on Genre)

A decent (read solid) tripod
A remote (cable or IR)
Some filters (ND, Grad ND etc)
A Flash/Speedlight
Wireless remote for flash
Reflectors
Soft box

What extras do you find essential for your photography and why?

Jules
08-06-2010, 12:20pm
An extra battery.
And a bag of some description.

Culhwch
08-06-2010, 12:29pm
I'd second a bag, and I'd suggest one that's a little roomier than she needs to begin with, so there's room for extras down the line. Learnt that lesson the hard way...

Watchamacallit
08-06-2010, 12:43pm
I'd third the bag.

Other than that, depending on the type of shots probably a speedlite/flash of some variety (for indoors) outdoors maybe some filters? (I'm not quite savvy on the outdoor photography parts yet)

farmer_rob
08-06-2010, 1:00pm
But it raises a question: What basic equipment extra's are essential?

My take is this: (Within budget essentials)

Pick one or two decent lenses (maybe a prime and a fast zoom)
Pick a decent camera body
Get one or two memory cards
PP software

-- Now the nice to haves (depends a bit on Genre)

A decent (read solid) tripod
A remote (cable or IR)
Some filters (ND, Grad ND etc)
A Flash/Speedlight
Wireless remote for flash
Reflectors
Soft box

For years I survived with an SLR, a 28-70 zoom, a 100-200 zoom, a low-end flash and a low-end tripod. Yes, I wanted more, but did not *need* more.

In the current age, I think the prospective entrant needs to have things that make photography easier, but not too complex. Too many bits of equipment means too many things to learn/carry/decide to use - and too many variables to manage and control. By learning with limited kit, your friend can learn the essential skills of photography: exposure and composition.

Essential:

Camera
2 lenses (covering wide to telephoto, although I'd really encourage one prime and one telephoto)
Tripod
Ball head and quick-release plate (Didn't have the ball head or quick-release for years, so didn't use the tripod often - it was too hard. Now I use it without a second thought.)
External flash

Good computer (too slow and PP won't get done)
Good computer screen (poor colour rendition makes poor photography IMO)
Good PP software (I have no recommendations, as they*all* have faults, and most programs are either a - expensive and/or b - hard to learn and/or c - need a really fast computer)
A couple of good reference books (photography and software - I need a software one)

Nice to have:

decent bag (I don't have one)
spare image cards (I only use one)
spare batteries (I only use one)
remote trigger

Only after they know which way they are going
more lenses (only after you know what you are interested in)
more flashes (only after you know what you are interested in)
wireless flash remote (I just got some)
reflectors (I just got some)
softbox (I don't have one)

I think we rely too much on having everything, when all you really need is something to take photos and something to help display them.

Edit: BTW, you might want to hold off on the bag and leave it for relatives to give as presents for birthdays and/or christmas.

Wayne
08-06-2010, 2:32pm
I think the bag is essential, unless you plan on never taking your gear out of the house/studio.

bigdazzler
08-06-2010, 2:59pm
Patience. ;)

farmer_rob
08-06-2010, 3:10pm
Why is a bag essential? I have something that I can put all my gear in (it is NOT designed as a camera bag), but I rarely take all my gear. Most of the time, I'll take a camera with lens and a tripod, and no bag. We are talking here about a beginner photographer, and what is essential to get started.

Peuty
08-06-2010, 3:13pm
Lens cleaning kit

davesmith
08-06-2010, 3:37pm
Why is a bag essential? I have something that I can put all my gear in (it is NOT designed as a camera bag), but I rarely take all my gear. Most of the time, I'll take a camera with lens and a tripod, and no bag. We are talking here about a beginner photographer, and what is essential to get started.

Agreed. I wouldn't say a bag was essential either. But you could also ask why you consider an external flash essential? I've been doing photography for a while and don't have an external flash. I certianly don't find it essential.

Ultimately all they essentially need is a camera (which will come with a battery), a lens, and a memory card.

When they start to get an idea on what they want to do that's when you work out what becomes essential. Take a shine to action/sport photography, a faster lens might be top of the list, portraiture and an external flash might become a requirement, landscaping and you can't do without a tripod etc.

Except for the camera, lens and card, it's impossible to say what is essential without knowing what you want to do.

ving
08-06-2010, 3:56pm
extra battery
external flash
a small fast prime (eg 50mm)
wireless remote
sturdy tripod

...maybe a bag?

David
08-06-2010, 5:03pm
For me a tripod (not a cheap and nasty wobbly thing like i bought 3 times) is the essential extra. Primary reasons is newbies to photography are going to have enough trouble with IQ and other things re the lens/es they buy initially without having the wobbles in taking the shot as well. It takes out the movement blur issue for most photography.

Also, you can take the same exact shot whatever it is using several exposures and shutter speeds and apetures etc and get to know your camera faster if you have a solid, consistent base upon which most of your images are taken. I would not advise going without a decent, sturdy tripod unless you can afford a lens with a decent IS and/or fast speed built into the lens.

Everything else would be guided by the genre you want to follow, so for landscapes you would start collecting ND and GND filters essential for decent sunrise/sunset/waterfall/rainforest results etc etc..for portrait work you might start with a decent flash and reflectors...etc etc.

Boofhead
08-06-2010, 5:16pm
Depending on the type of photography to be done some kind of filter like a circular polariser can be extremely useful.

bigdazzler
08-06-2010, 5:18pm
Absolute essentials = camera, 1 x lens, 1 x battery, 1 x battery charger, 1 x memory card. Thats it.

barrythelizard
08-06-2010, 5:41pm
Ok I'm new. I have 1x camera, 1x lens, battery and charger that came with the camera. I also have 1x memory card and a bag (but I have to say I'm not using the bag much as it is small and annoying).

I'm finding this is all quite enough to keep me entertained (probably for some time :)). I really like macro but I'm holding off buying a proper macro lens until I'm more comfortable with the camera (plus I'm well confused about different lenses).

The only thing I'm debating is a tripod, but again I am holding off until I really understand what I'm doing. If I find that everything wobbles all the time, then I'll investigate further.

farmer_rob
08-06-2010, 5:57pm
There's two articles on external sites that I think have some (slightly humourous) relevance here - but budget always intervenes. Thom Hogan's take on tripods (http://www.bythom.com/support.htm) and Mike Johnstone's "Letter to George" (http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2010/05/letter-to-george.html)

davesmith: I'd concede the external flash, but I think a flash is an excellent learning tool for particular sorts of photography, and I have learned to hate the internal one on the camera.

Darren: pretty much spot on, but I think two lenses helps you learn (at least it helped me learn that I always have the wrong one on :D)

bigdazzler
08-06-2010, 6:51pm
2 lenses does help in terms of getting your head around FOV and lens perspective etc ...

But I think the best advice for someone getting into DSLR photography for the first time is to concentrate 100% on learning basic fundamentals, camera handling, exposure triangle (SS, Ap, ISO). I really think the gear thing is very much secondary. I think it is good to help people understand that if you work out what you want to shoot and then build your kit, you will be less likely to spend money on stuff that will just sit idle, and more money on stuff that will get used.

kiwi
08-06-2010, 7:16pm
Only a body a lens a memory card are essential, everything else is on a nice to have basis

What I think essential to do say professional sport photography at mcg is very different than what say dazzler finds essential for studio work

Eg, I don't find a tripod essential for me

ricktas
08-06-2010, 7:19pm
Lens cleaning cloth. Cheap and very worthwhile.

bigdazzler
08-06-2010, 7:45pm
Absolute essentials = camera, 1 x lens, 1 x battery, 1 x battery charger, 1 x memory card. Thats it.

Only a body a lens a memory card are essential

Yep ... :th3:

Xenedis
08-06-2010, 7:55pm

Here are some extra items well worth considering, especially if you're a dawn/dusk seascaper:

lens cleaning cloth;
lens cleaning pen;
air blower;
plastic bags to cover the camera in the rain or near the ocean;
towel; and
headlamp for low-light.

bigdazzler
08-06-2010, 7:57pm
Here are some extra items well worth considering, especially if you're a dawn/dusk seascaper:

lens cleaning cloth;
lens cleaning pen;
air blower;
plastic bags to cover the camera in the rain or near the ocean;
towel; and
headlamp for low-light.

insurance ?? :p

(is it too soon to joke johnno ??:o .. sorry mate)

Xenedis
08-06-2010, 7:59pm
insurance ?? :p

Touché. :-)

(is it too soon to joke johnno ??:o .. sorry mate)

It's all good; I can look back and laugh now.

bigdazzler
08-06-2010, 8:08pm
All good mate ... you got the II now, even if the bankbook is a bit lighter ;)

Xenedis
08-06-2010, 8:33pm
All good mate ... you got the II now, even if the bankbook is a bit lighter ;)

It certainly is, although I have run into some extra money lately, which covered the cost of the new camera, so it's all good.

I'd rather not have had to buy a new camera, but at the same time it is nice to have a newer model which has better resolution and more features than my previous model. I'd had that since 2006.

Xebadir
09-06-2010, 2:51pm
Looking back on it and my experience. I would say KISS is the ultimate for someone starting out.

Starting Kit
Camera
Prime or moderate zoom...personally if I could go back I would have just bought a prime with a body.
Filter....the best lens insurance out there...have broken more than one of these and saved the lens....60 dollars of security.
Bag (I was made to regret not having the proper bag....ended up shattering a lens that way...and busting my other kit lens...protect them...as premiums hurt).
Memory Card
PP software....even if its only elementary.

Additions once you decide you want a bit more/versatility
Spare battery.
Cleaning Kit
Tripod (but depends on what you shoot...for my stuff a tripod was very necessary, and was soon followed by a remote).
Additional lenses....I shot with a 70-300 for years after the accidents above, then finally stepped out and went to a wide followed by a 50 prime...and spent the period after that cursing myself for not buying the prime sooner....your first lens needs to be flexible, but simple enough that you can appreciate what you are doing....and preferably tough.

When you decide a particular field or outgrow:
Upgrade to something sans the kiddy settings.
Fast glass..be it telephoto/prime/wide or what have you.
Ego :Doh::lol:

But seriously. I really think there is alot of merit to starting off with a single lens, and learning it completely...it makes you adapt to the conditions and what you are trying to capture, and I feel helps improve your versatility later on. While there are all those nice toys out there...you can get too much too fast and find yourself gear heavy without a purpose.

bigdazzler
09-06-2010, 3:13pm
Filter....the best lens insurance out there...have broken more than one of these and saved the lens....60 dollars of security.

oh here we go ... this old chestnut .. wheres kiwi ?? :D

Xebadir
09-06-2010, 3:17pm
Removed for transgressing into photo-religious debate.

Kym
09-06-2010, 3:24pm
oh here we go ... this old chestnut .. wheres kiwi ?? :D

Lol...its true...maybe im just a lucky bugger...but I had a lens fall...smashed the filter but the lens itself was fine. Take it for what you want but Ill only remove my filter under pain of death...or loss of shot quality. As a side note...try shooting without a filter in a thunderstorm and tell me how your lens goes after you get water on it for the umpteenth time :P.

Maybe its an urban legend...but my 70-300 is still going strong after a fall that should've broken it...and I ain't tempting fate.

Mod note: DO NOT DERAIL THIS THREAD DEBATING THE PROTECTIVE vs IQ VALUE OF UV FILTERS - YOU MAY END UP IN THE SIN BIN (Temporary Ban)

Summary: Filters can be useful in harsh conditions, a lens hood may have more protective value, if you feel better with a filter use one, if you don't then don't.
No more debate on this religious argument.

bigdazzler
09-06-2010, 4:16pm
Mod note: DO NOT DERAIL THIS THREAD DEBATING THE PROTECTIVE vs IQ VALUE OF UV FILTERS - YOU MAY END UP IN THE SIN BIN (Temporary Ban)

Summary: Filters can be useful in harsh conditions, a lens hood may have more protective value, if you feel better with a filter use one, if you don't then don't.
No more debate on this religious argument.

my lips are sealed :lol:

curious as to how you could possibly justify banning anyone for discussing the topic though ?? YOU asked US what WE consider ESSENTIAL. Some people may consider a UV essesntial, some may not. Are we not allowed to disagree with each other now ?? FWIW I didnt plan on commenting again on UV filters but the threat of a ban seems a little silly to me Kym ... :confused013 Not really necessary given the tongue in cheek comments made above.

kiwi
09-06-2010, 7:58pm
I disagree Dazzler, A UV filter is essential, otherwise my coffee cup would cause a nasty stain on my table.

But Im not going to debate it's merits on the lens. I respect Kym's wishes here

Kym
09-06-2010, 8:07pm
my lips are sealed :lol:

curious as to how you could possibly justify banning anyone for discussing the topic though ?? YOU asked US what WE consider ESSENTIAL. Some people may consider a UV essesntial, some may not. Are we not allowed to disagree with each other now ?? FWIW I didnt plan on commenting again on UV filters but the threat of a ban seems a little silly to me Kym ... :confused013 Not really necessary given the tongue in cheek comments made above.

Forum Rule #20 :eek:

I'm simply trying to avoid 100 useless posts on a very minor item in this thread. :action:

Please continue the senseless debate in this other thread (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=47742) :D

@Xebadir - its not your fault - your new :cool:

bigdazzler
09-06-2010, 8:23pm
Forum Rule #20 :eek:

I'm simply trying to avoid 100 useless posts on a very minor item in this thread. :action:

Please continue the senseless debate in this other thread (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=47742) :D

@Xebadir - its not your fault - your new :cool:

I know .. I wasnt gonna encite a mass-dabate (:eek:?:eek:) over it ... was just being a little cheeky. The UV one is always a fun one to poke the fun stick at.

I know .. its my fault .. im not new and should know better. Im sorry :o:D