PDA

View Full Version : What shall I do with my dead-as-a-dodo EOS 5D?

Xenedis
07-06-2010, 4:55pm
As I related in this thread (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=57414), I recently lost my Canon EOS 5D to the fury of the ocean.

I decided to take it to Canon today to see what it would cost to repair it.

The counter staffer looked at it and expressed his extreme doubt that it would be repairable without costing a lot of money. He took it into a repair tech for a quick look, and he confirmed that it was a write-off.

Just replacing the mirror box is a $600 job. The cost to repair it would be more than the camera's current market value, so it's not worth it.

So, I basically have a paperweight with the word "Canon" printed on it.

The question: What shall I do with it?

A few options crossed my mind:

utterly destroy it with blunt-force trauma (think baseball bat or rock shelf);
ceremonially toss it into the very ocean which ended its life;
take it apart, have a peek at the insides, and then bin it; or
sell it to anyone who wants it for parts. (Mod note: Only via classifieds on AP)

I have no idea what to do with it.

(Selling redacted)

Over to you.

JM Tran
07-06-2010, 4:57pm
I'll actually buy it off u mate for a small fee, I have some ideas I can do with it for photoshoots:)

chamellieon
07-06-2010, 5:09pm
I liked the idea of a watery grave, and/ or turning it into a trophy.

ricktas
07-06-2010, 5:13pm
Give it to Kiwi for his bug farm

kiwi
07-06-2010, 5:22pm
oooo, id love a dead canon, is there any better sort ?

mongo
07-06-2010, 5:32pm
Sorry to hear you had a fine camera ruined.

However, Mongo's curiosity for all things photographic says have a peek at the insides and then gather up the useless pieces and give them to Mongo to fuse in a pottery kiln at near 1300 C. The parts could even be incorporated into Mongo's next porcelain piece to sit on your sideboard - although , there is serious doubt they will be recognisable by then.

Otherwise , JM Tran's idea sounds more constructive.

Either way, it has been very cool of you to invite us to pay mythbusters with you and your formally fine equipment.

mcdesign
07-06-2010, 5:40pm
I follow Mongo, I would have to have a look inside to see what makes it tick! BUT, if JM can make use of it that would be better and not as stressful, you will know it has gone to a good home...who knows, it might become famous :rolleyes:

Xenedis
07-06-2010, 5:49pm
I'll actually buy it off u mate for a small fee, I have some ideas I can do with it for photoshoots:)

That sounds like the best offer I've had all day!

Okay, let's talk privately re the coinage and logistics of getting it from here to there.

The thought of throwing a camera, for which I paid $4,200 when it was new, into a watery grave, really isn't an easy thing to do. :-)

Besides, it'd pollute the ocean I so love to photograph (even though the bastard decided to attack me).

oooo, id love a dead canon, is there any better sort ?

A dead Canon is still more useful than a live Nikon.

Sorry to hear you had a fine camera ruined.

Thanks Mongo. It was a rather unfortunate case, but that camera brought me much joy and many pleasing images. She did well before the ocean decided to outrank her.

However, Mongo's curiosity for all things photographic says have a peek at the insides

The only problem with that option is that you need a doctorate in rocket surgery to disassemble it, and by the time you get the thing apart, the Mark III will be out.

Otherwise , JM Tran's idea sounds more constructive.

Too true. If he can actually use it for something useful (which clearly excludes taking photos with it), that'd be better than destroying or otherwise tossing it; and besides, I'd make a few shillings.

Long shot, but I don't suppose he's willing to pay what it cost me to buy a 5D Mark II... :-)

Either way, it has been very cool of you to invite us to pay mythbusters with you and your formally fine equipment.

I figured it'd get some interest.

What I didn't count on was anyone wanting to buy it!

The batteries are still on offer (assuming JM Tran doesn't want those, but if he has a camera which also uses BP-511As, they could be useful).

yarnella
07-06-2010, 8:24pm
Well, if you are looking for ideas....

You could always try Brian Ayling's DIY Photographic Repair Tips (http://web.aanet.com.au/bayling/repair.html).

Certain old Takumar lenses eventually turn yellow because of a rare earth glass element within. This was Brian's non-reversible repair method. We later found that exposure to UV light cured the yellowing. Sadly, that particular lens had other problems that rendered it useless and Brian got immense satisfaction from "repairing" it in the manner that he did.

accesser
07-06-2010, 8:33pm
Use it for a social experiment.
Leave it at a bus stop & use your 5DII to record who takes it and if they try to find an owner for it.

kiwi
07-06-2010, 8:38pm
I think I'd put it into one of those diarama type frames with a backdrop of your fav photo taken with it

Nah....send it to tran the man

Harves
07-06-2010, 9:08pm
Sell it to Sydney Water, they can melt Canons down and make manhole covers with them...:lol:

maccaroneski
07-06-2010, 9:55pm
Hollow it out and make a fishtank!!! :)

arthurking83
07-06-2010, 10:05pm

Even better... I'll donate some internals from a D70s and you can turn the 5D into a camera :p

(don't worry folks, my son's photographic adventure won't come to a premature end.. he'll end up with my D300 ;))

Xenedis
07-06-2010, 10:30pm

I think a small fish is still swimming around inside the LCD compartment.

I kid you not -- there is still a droplet of water on the inside of the plastic LCD cover.

Even better... I'll donate some internals from a D70s and you can turn the 5D into a camera :p

Sorry, but I don't believe in Nikon jokes -- I've seen too many of them marketed as cameras.

Clubmanmc
17-06-2010, 12:16pm
i had a similar failure with a 20D...

it was used in a wrestling match and broken... it is now an ornament on my shelves....

M

Keith
17-06-2010, 12:40pm
Take it to the next AP meet in the bush but don't tell anyone it is broken. Put the camera on a stump 100m away, bring out a rifle then offer the Nikon users a shot for $1. You will have the money for a new Canon in no time :)

Showipix
17-06-2010, 12:53pm
Pity its the wrong shape for a coffee mug you could get at least $60 or so for it! LOL

mikew09
17-06-2010, 1:11pm
Make it into a coffee mug - I reckon it could be done.

Kym
17-06-2010, 2:18pm
I think the original offer of the batteries in this thread may have been technically outside the classified rules any way.

Mod note:

Correct!

So if the batteries are for sale please use the classifieds system (not PM's)

@Error99 - you are not eligible for trading / classifieds on AP yet (30 days/50 posts rule) so we will let that slide anyway.

Back to normal programming! :th3:

annainoz
17-06-2010, 2:49pm
Smash it to pieces and use the pieces in a mosaic :) a long lasting memory of what once was.

Error99
17-06-2010, 3:58pm
Mod note:

Correct!

So if the batteries are for sale please use the classifieds system (not PM's)

@Error99 - you are not eligible for trading / classifieds on AP yet (30 days/50 posts rule) so we will let that slide anyway.

Back to normal programming! :th3:

Apologies to all

Sorry, I'm aware of that and was just responding what was already in the open forum.
I was completely open and upfront about it.
It was really more of an enquiry as to whether the batteries were still available
Sorry for having caused so much truble
I wasn't aware that responding to something that was already out in the open was going to be breaking the rules.
Again, really sorry about that.

Kym
17-06-2010, 4:04pm
Sorry, I'm aware of that and was just responding what was already in <snip>

Which was a mistake and corrected :cool:

As for rules awareness... please take some time to (re)read the introductory thread your were PM'd when you joined.
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=52887
It's seriously worth a decent read - it has lots of helpful information ;)

bobt
17-06-2010, 4:15pm
Personally I'd keep it as a prop - after firstly taking it apart to see what makes it tick (or not, in this case).

It'd be a great prop for creative shots, like in an aquarium or something.

Xenedis
17-06-2010, 5:21pm
Smash it to pieces and use the pieces in a mosaic :) a long lasting memory of what once was.

I don't know if I can bring myself to do that, even though it'd be no less useless than it is now.

Wilky
17-06-2010, 5:54pm
Got a fish tank? Turn it into an artificial reef in a fish tank. That would look really cool.

Topgunn
17-06-2010, 6:58pm
I like the artificial reef in the fish tank idea if you could strip it to give the fish something to swim through and stop potential leeching of metals into the water. Come to think of it I cant believe a 4200 dollar camera isnt weather sealed.

Xenedis
17-06-2010, 7:04pm
Come to think of it I cant believe a 4200 dollar camera isnt weather sealed.

Don't forget that the Canon EOS 5D was released in 2005, well before Canon started offering weather sealing in non-1D-series cameras.

Also, it should be noted that even a 1D would not survive the sort of deluge I experienced. The Canon rep told me that weather sealing is intended to provide protection against rain, not massive deluges.

bort
17-06-2010, 7:36pm
So, I basically have a paperweight with the word "Canon" printed on it.

There you go - a stylish paperweight

rborsje
18-06-2010, 12:11am
There's an obvious question - was it insured? I guess not. Send it over to me and I'll throw it into the sea off Cottesloe Beach. They've found some old cannons out there and it might make the Freo Maritime Museum. Sorry -poor joke.http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/images/smilies/lol1.gif

Phil Mac
19-06-2010, 4:36pm
I'd leave it on a bench it the mall or a park, and then you'd get some good shots of it being whisked away!

Cheers

peterb666
19-06-2010, 5:31pm
I'd leave it on a bench it the mall or a park, and then you'd get some good shots of it being whisked away!

Cheers

You could only do that once, but at least you could buy it back on eBay. :lol:

darylcheshire
19-06-2010, 6:28pm
I can't remember if you lost a lens as well?

Perhaps have it at the bottom of a fish tank blowing bubbles next to the porcelain deep-sea diver and the porcelain treasure-chest.

The mirror can flip up and down with the bubbles.

Daryl.

simonw
23-06-2010, 6:43pm
I would keep it as a prop for a few pranks... give it to a friend and don't do up the neck strap properly so they drop it, leave it sitting out and see how long it takes someone to nick it, or drop it and then say "Oh well, its only money" and walk away... But that's just my sick mind!

Xenedis
23-06-2010, 7:19pm
I would keep it as a prop for a few pranks... give it to a friend and don't do up the neck strap properly so they drop it, leave it sitting out and see how long it takes someone to nick it, or drop it and then say "Oh well, its only money" and walk away... But that's just my sick mind!

I like it. :-)

Bails55
23-06-2010, 7:39pm

Oh yeah! I'm with this idea! :lol:

RaoulIsidro
12-07-2010, 4:26pm
You can hang it on your rear view mirror, but it might pull the mirror from it's moorings...

Xenedis
13-07-2010, 8:42pm
Send it over to me and I'll throw it into the sea off Cottesloe Beach

Sending it to Perth would put me further out of pocket!

Scotty72
13-07-2010, 8:57pm
I say re-unite it with its old friend - the sea.

Obviously, they want to be together; who do you think you are to stand in the way of destiny?

Scotty

acko
14-07-2010, 8:04pm

Sounds like a good idea to me.

A bit like the flogging John Cleese gave his recalcitrant car in Fawlty Towers.

Nige
18-07-2010, 6:30pm
turn it into to a pin hole camera and do a 365day long exposure :)