PDA

View Full Version : Security - Pacsafe Exomesh

Gemini2261
07-06-2010, 12:05pm
I posted this info on another thread & thought that it would be good to post as a new thread. I have been researching some form of security (http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=48) for my Flipside 400. I came up with a professional photographers review of what he uses when travelling around the world. It is not absolutely secure but better than nothing, & it does provide a fairly strong hinderance to ppl wanting to steal your bag with our precious stuff in it.

I figured I can securely fix my bag to something at work & no one can just walk off with it (that's if they figured what was in the bag). I can also fix it to the car seat leg if I have to leave it in the car for some reason & it would be very difficult for a smash & grab.

This photographer indicated that he fixes his bag to something in his hotel room if he needs to (like secure plumbing etc) & so far it has never been stolen. To try to pinch it quickly would be difficult, one would need a pair of strong wire cutters, & just happen to have a pair on person at the time.

For ppl in Perth I have discovered this place (http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/showProduct//BACKPACKS/PACSAFE+TRAVEL+SECURITY+PRODUCTS/PS1305/PACSAFE+85+BACKPACKER+MEDIUM+SECURITY+RUCKSACK+COVER+-+MODEL+1305) has them if they want to check them out.

I would be interested to know if anyone has purchased an exomesh & uses it & what they think about it.

Wayne
07-06-2010, 12:32pm
The weak link here would be the tiny locks most use....

stoogest
07-06-2010, 7:53pm
I've always steered away from them because they simply scream out, "Look at me, I've got something valuable inside". A non-descript bag and a little common sense go a long way in most countries I've visited (and a hotel room safe if you can get one!).

Brian500au
07-06-2010, 8:04pm
I never travel without at least one. Normally I try to put my camera gear in the room hotel safe but there have been many back packer hotels where this is impossible. In cases like this i cover my camera bag in the small exomesh and tie it to the either the toilet or the u-bend on the sink. I have visited and stayed in some pretty dodgey places and never had gear go missing (touch wood). The other time I use the exomesh is when traveling via a sleeper train in Asia. These are mostly open carriage and are an invitation to the not so honest. Like i said - wouldn't leave home without it.

Wilky
07-06-2010, 8:09pm
A most timely post because I was about to google something like this for myself. As my only transport is my motorcycle my Flipside 400 has to live on the top of the topbox on a rack I made. This is just what I was looking for.

stoogest
07-06-2010, 8:10pm
Actually, in some hotel rooms I have occasionaly used a Pacsafe to store small valuables, but very rarely.

Brian500au
07-06-2010, 8:31pm
A most timely post because I was about to google something like this for myself. As my only transport is my motorcycle my Flipside 400 has to live on the top of the topbox on a rack I made. This is just what I was looking for.

On a trip I did on my bike last year I used the exomesh to protect my camera in my tank bag when I was away from my bike. I have a couple of different sizes for differnt size back packs. You often see them advertised on fleabay.

Ps this is my 50th post :food04:

Gemini2261
07-06-2010, 10:02pm
Thanks for your posts...I thought it would be useful at times...I read they are very useful on sleeper trains.

tomtom1
09-06-2010, 10:39am
They are quite commonly available at camping stores eg. Anaconda/Rays

I took one to Morocco but rarely used it, but most of the places we were staying were pretty good anyway. I always had my camera bag on me whenever we went out though.

If I had taken a laptop and left it at the hotel, or was staying in dodgier places I probably would have used it more.

Gemini2261
09-06-2010, 10:58am
They are quite commonly available at camping stores eg. Anaconda/Rays

I took one to Morocco but rarely used it, but most of the places we were staying were pretty good anyway. I always had my camera bag on me whenever we went out though.

If I had taken a laptop and left it at the hotel, or was staying in dodgier places I probably would have used it more.

I happened to go to a camping shop yesterday to buy a cuppla new chairs, on the way out I noticed a stand near the door with them for sale...good one...I think they could be useful from time to time :th3:

peterb666
09-06-2010, 12:21pm
It certainly looks good. May consider one when the need approaches.

kaiser
09-06-2010, 1:26pm
The only problem with these is, as above poster mentioned, they attract a lot of attention and make your bag stand out from the rest. My thoughts are that the ebst protection against theft is being inconspicuous and not presenting yourself or your gear as a target.

Secondly, they compeltely take away any quick access to your bag. Thirdly they add a bit of weight. Maybe not a concern for most travellers - but for a ultra light backpacker the weight would be too much to justify. I'm talking ultra light travel - my backpack weights 1100grams, is carry on size and weight - and I can get by with 2 sets of light, quick dry clothes and a silk sleep sack. My camera gear takes up the majority of the weight, obviously.

I see these products useful for locking up your bag in a room when your out - and if that were the case then I'd possibly look at the Travel safe 20 litre sack made by the same company - the benefit being that it can be used inside a regular/bomby looking bag so will not attract attention. 20L is big enough to hold your portable valuables and like the much larger exomesh thing - this one can be locked to a secure fixture.