PDA

View Full Version : Finalizing Gear List for Holiday

NicD
05-06-2010, 10:16pm
Hey Everyone,

In just under two weeks i am leaving for a three week holiday to the Kalahari Desert, South Africa. The purpose of the trip is to teach at a under privileged high school over their although there will be some time for photography at the same time.

My list is as Follows:

Camera
Canon 1DmkII

Lenses:
Canon 17-40L (Arriving soon)
Tamron 28-75
Tamron 70-200 2.8
Canon 50 1.8

Other:
Tripod
580EXII
Wireless remote (coming soon)
Filters
Battery x2
Memory Card - 12gb (do i need more?)

Laptop w/ external hard drive

So what am i missing? What do i need to add?

Thanks all :)

maccaroneski
05-06-2010, 11:28pm
A gorillapod to get the flash off the camera or for when you don't have your tripod with you could be one thing to consider.

I also take a small bag that just fits the camera and one lens attached for the times that you don't want to take all the gear out.

NicD
05-06-2010, 11:36pm
A gorillapod to get the flash off the camera or for when you don't have your tripod with you could be one thing to consider.

I also take a small bag that just fits the camera and one lens attached for the times that you don't want to take all the gear out.

Both good idea's, will have to have a look into both of them.

Thankyou

Wobbles
06-06-2010, 9:22am
Nic,
not sure if you've just left it off the list.. but you need a good quality sensor brush and/or cleaning kit (copper hill/dust aid etc.) Africa/Desert = DUST!

Not sure how far you budget extends but a second camera body is highly recommended. One with wide angle and 2nd with telephoto lens attached. This reduces chance of dust contamination and missed opportunities during lens changes. You also have a 'back-up' if one body dies...

From what I've seen of the Kalahari it is a harsh but beautiful environment, lots of great landscape shots (17-40 ;) ). Wildlife tends to be scarce and long range so the 70-200 may be a bit short. Again, depending on budget, a 1.4TC and/or 300mm+ telephoto could be a good idea. Hiring a "big white" is an economical alternative.

Have a great time and take plenty of shots! :th3:

Cheers
John

NicD
06-06-2010, 3:25pm
Nic,
not sure if you've just left it off the list.. but you need a good quality sensor brush and/or cleaning kit (copper hill/dust aid etc.) Africa/Desert = DUST!

Not sure how far you budget extends but a second camera body is highly recommended. One with wide angle and 2nd with telephoto lens attached. This reduces chance of dust contamination and missed opportunities during lens changes. You also have a 'back-up' if one body dies...

From what I've seen of the Kalahari it is a harsh but beautiful environment, lots of great landscape shots (17-40 ;) ). Wildlife tends to be scarce and long range so the 70-200 may be a bit short. Again, depending on budget, a 1.4TC and/or 300mm+ telephoto could be a good idea. Hiring a "big white" is an economical alternative.

Have a great time and take plenty of shots! :th3:

Cheers
John

Yeah i have a cleaning kit, sorry forgot to mention that!

I wish i could afford a new body and a new lens, but seeing as the prices for flights/transport/accommodation for almost doubled over their, unfortunately there is nothing left in the budget.

A t/c may be an option, if i have enough left over in the next week or so i will look into getting one of them!

Thanks for your great reply!