PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Cameras and Lenses Stolen

Bens Camera Hire
05-06-2010, 3:24pm
Hi all - sorry if this is in the wrong place (not sure of the most appropriate place to post it around here).

I've had the following Nikon lenses and cameras stolen this week (Wed, June 2):

Nikon D3x, serial 5015392

Nikon D700, serial 2236403

Nikon 70-200mm VR II zoom lens, serial US20011733

Nikon 24-70mm zoom lens, serial 372080

Nikon MBD10 battery grip, serial 2245139

If they happen to cross your path, please let me know! I'm pretty sure they have left the country but maybe I'll get lucky...

Thanks,
Ben

I @ M
05-06-2010, 3:37pm
Bruddy hell!!!!! :(

Mate, that would make your eyes bleed.

I guess it is highly unlikely for them to appear there but I would be doing some intensive world wide searches for same/similar gear on ebay, gumtree, craigs list etc.

ricktas
05-06-2010, 3:58pm
Someone who hired them, with false ID and didn't return them?

I have heard of this happening before. The company involved photocopied drivers licences, so they put the fake licence up on the net and someone recognised the photo and dobbed in the person who had taken them.

Bens Camera Hire
05-06-2010, 4:16pm
Yes, they walked away with the gear. Not yet sure if the license is fake. The police are investigating it - the same guys also took gear from at least two other local camera hire businesses.

So is that permission to put an image of the license up here Rick? ;)

Erin
05-06-2010, 4:27pm
Oh bugger! I cringe at the thought of that much money walking out the door. That's completely arsey.

I had a booking for the 24-70 next week with you Ben.

Bens Camera Hire
05-06-2010, 4:32pm
Hi Erin - yes, I'm currently going through all future bookings, closest to farthest, notifying everyone that the gear has been stolen. So I'll email you very soon!

ricktas
05-06-2010, 4:46pm
Yes, they walked away with the gear. Not yet sure if the license is fake. The police are investigating it - the same guys also took gear from at least two other local camera hire businesses.

So is that permission to put an image of the license up here Rick? ;)

Of course you can

David
05-06-2010, 5:00pm
I hope karma catches up with them and gives them a big bite on the a....

I rely on camera hire people to hire and test lenses before I buy them and you guys don't make a squillion out of it so this really sux I reckon. Hope you have good insurance cover against mugs like that; you might get a new gear back via your insurance but you loose a heap of business in the meantime.

mercho
05-06-2010, 5:15pm
Bloody Hell that sucks mate! Hopefully they are caught!

Hope the insurance covers it!!

Bens Camera Hire
05-06-2010, 5:16pm
Here's a copy of the perp's license. It's a copy of a copy as the cops have the original.

Bens Camera Hire
05-06-2010, 5:17pm
@David @Brad - thanks guys. Nope, insurance doesn't cover it as they exclude absconsion (different to their definition of theft!)

Kym
05-06-2010, 6:19pm
BTW this is exactly why we have the 50 posts / 30 days membership rule before selling on the site is allowed.

swifty
05-06-2010, 8:07pm
Oh mannn!!! I really feel for u, Ben.
All I can say is I hope you get some good luck catching the bad guy/s.

mercho
05-06-2010, 8:11pm
@David @Brad - thanks guys. Nope, insurance doesn't cover it as they exclude absconsion (different to their definition of theft!)

sh!t

Hope you catch the guys then!

Jeeze it is annoying how insurance companies wriggle out of payments!!

kiwi
05-06-2010, 8:16pm
write to the insurance ombusdman, dont let them get away easily

bigdazzler
05-06-2010, 8:26pm

So youre saying that a camera hire company cant get insurance against someone not returning gear ?? Thats ridiculous. That would be your biggest risk. (quite obviously)

Hope it works out for you mate .. and id be cancelling that policy.

Scotty72
05-06-2010, 9:12pm
Although we can all agree that insurance companies are worms and trade on the fact that most people do not really understand the difference in the meaning of:
theive - to take so as to permanently deprive a lawful owner (your guy took it lawfully - he just didn't give it back) and;
steal - to take or recieve or appropriate unlawfully so as to ... blah

I have heard of a case where a guy (I meet at a dinner years ago) had all sorts of trouble because he had lent his car to someone.
His problem was that the guy didn't give the car back. The police were very reluctant to do anything because the car had never been stolen, as far as they knew, he had not caused damage to it etc.

He just didn't want to give it back. He was even warned about trespassing on the guy's property to get it back.

I seem to recall the car was returned as the guy was threatened with unauthorised use of a motor vechile or some other charge.

It sounds so stupid - but you so often hear of insurance companies and barristers wriggling themselves or clients on this sort of technicality.

Anyway, don't give up... at least get a solicitor to write a letter as the Vic Crimes Act may (or may not) be relevant.

Vic law sees no distinction between theft and stealing.

Crimes Act 1958 - SECT 72

Basic definition of theft

72. Basic definition of theft
(1) A person steals if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.
(2) A person who steals is guilty of theft; and "thief" shall be construed accordingly.

Having said that, they would problably suggest that your guy did not steal the goods but, infact, obtained them by deception.
but, perhaps unfortunately.... it does make a distinction between theft / stealing and ....

Crimes Act 1958 - SECT 81

Obtaining property by deception

81. Obtaining property by deception
(1) A person who by any deception dishonestly obtains property belonging to
another, with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it, is
guilty of an indictable offence and liable to level 5 imprisonment (10 years
maximum).
(2) For purposes of this section a person is to be treated as obtaining
property if he obtains ownership, possession or control of it, and obtain
includes obtaining for another or enabling another to obtain or to retain.
(3) Subsections (12) and (13) of section 73 shall apply for purposes of this
section, with the necessary adaptation of the reference to appropriating, as
it applies for purposes of section 72.
(4) For the purposes of this section, deception-
(a) means any deception (whether deliberate or reckless) by words or
conduct as to fact or as to law, including a deception as to the
present intentions of the person using the deception or any other
person; and
(b) includes an act or thing done or omitted to be done with the intention
of causing-
(i) a computer system; or
(ii) a machine that is designed to operate by means of payment or
identification-

to make a response that the person doing or omitting to do the act or thing is
not authorised to cause the computer system or machine to make.Really though, good luck with it... who would go into business to be treated like this? :(

Wayne
05-06-2010, 9:42pm
I feel for you trying to set up and have a go, but, you don't seem to take a hefty deposit like most hire places do, and that is probably why it has gone missing. My 10 years policing experience tells me the credit card number you may have pre-authorised, was either obtained using the same license and some false employment details, or the number was stolen and imprinted onto another card with the offenders name/alias...

Most hire places I imagine ask for a deposit = to the replacement cost, esp on that type of gear, full pro stuff.

Bens Camera Hire
06-06-2010, 10:19am
@Scotty - thanks for the detailed info. Whichever way you look at it, a crime has been committed! I don't necessarily mind which crime they pin on the a**hole - I just want the gear back and for that person to be charged :)

@Wayne - no I often don't take deposits but I do state that I reserve the right to at my discretion. Taking deposits for the full value of the gear, while a good safety measure, isn't very practical if you are trying to make a living hiring gear. You just won't get anywhere near the same number of customers and it may mean your business isn't viable. Besides, taking a deposit didn't protect the other two businesses who were ripped off at the same time. Sure, they are better off for holding some money but it didn't prevent their gear being nicked.

Scotty72
06-06-2010, 12:30pm
@Scotty - thanks for the detailed info. Whichever way you look at it, a crime has been committed! I don't necessarily mind which crime they pin on the a**hole - I just want the gear back and for that person to be charged :)

I know - the mongrel definitaley committed a crime and I hope the guy is caught and your losses recovered.... It is just a matter of the insurance company trying to wriggle out of paying by disputing exactly which types of crime you are covered for.

Good luck.

Bens Camera Hire
06-06-2010, 4:30pm
@Scotty - yeah, I guess other than death and taxes, insurance companies wriggling out of paying is another certainty in life ;)

I've already changed my practices and first time customers will be checked more thoroughly now that I've had first hand experience with some of the 0.1% of people who shouldn't be allowed to get their hands on anything more expensive than a disposable camera.

val2002
07-06-2010, 8:51pm
Oh my gosh that's enough to make you cry. I hope that pri(k gets whats coming to him. The problem with insurance companies is that they tend to raise the price of the premiums next year.

fake id's are all too easy to get these days.

Scree
07-06-2010, 10:18pm
I'm so sorry to hear that has happened to you! I hope they catch the mongrel, and thow the book at him! I have my fingers crossed that the police can recover your gear in good condition.

dsaini
13-06-2010, 12:45pm
I had similar experience 2yrs back (theft), Insurance guys (or should i say vultures) pulled technicality (something about having 2 policies, home and contents insurance and cameraman's insurance too) and declined the claim.

Insurance Ombudsman was a joke, the guy listened to everything and i kept informing him of every single conversation and in the end he said they can't do anything.

Anyhow the guy seems to be Punjabi(north Indian), well the name at-least. You should check with OCAU guys, they have few Sikh/Punjabi guys there who frequent photography section. Someone might be able to help you out.

Analog6
13-06-2010, 2:36pm
I agree, B@st@rds! What a low thing to do. Hope the police can catch the mongrels.

You might put it on any Nikon forums and Flickr Nikon groups too. The more people on the lookout for the gear the more chance you have of catching him/them.