PDA

View Full Version : 430exII and an umbrella

readysetgo
05-06-2010, 12:07pm
Hi, i want to use umbrella with my 430exII . i'm so new to this please excuse my lack of knowledge. My goal is to do portraits (friends and family for now not professional) and i worry with using my canon 430exII that using an umbrella i will lose too much light coz i read umbrellas do that but softboxes seem more expensive but i read that softboxes are more directional...does this make it easy for someone new to lighting?
Thanks from Casey.

mercho
05-06-2010, 6:45pm
These were done this morning with 580 master a 430 slave with an umbrella:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=58896

Umbrellas are very handy!

maccaroneski
07-06-2010, 9:38am
I would start with an umbrella - they are cheap as chips, and when you get to know what you are doing you can move onto a softbox if need be.

It is true that softboxes allow a better control of light spill, but for straight portraiture an umbrella should be good enough to get you started.

readysetgo
07-06-2010, 11:02am
Ok, thankyou both :)

bigdazzler
13-06-2010, 9:23pm
In terms of controlling light ... there are generally two main types of modifiers. Translucent (aka "shoot through") and reflective. Translucent, such as shoot through umbreallas, softboxes etc .. are generally more efficient at controlling lightspill and therefore more power efficient as well. The light is generally more direct, and more shapeable. Reflective modifiers such as silver umbrellas, you use to shoot into and reflect the light out of, therefore making them less efficient both lightspill and power wise. The light is less directional, and has more of a wraparound effect.

RamblinR
09-07-2010, 1:57pm
If you're going to be shooting with just one light it would be a good idea to bounce some light back with a reflector to the other side if needed. You can do this cheaply by using a silver car reflector or some white board. This will help even up the lighting if it's needed. Cheers

Wobbles
09-07-2010, 5:23pm
Hi, i want to use umbrella with my 430exII . i'm so new to this please excuse my lack of knowledge. My goal is to do portraits (friends and family for now not professional) and i worry with using my canon 430exII that using an umbrella i will lose too much light coz i read umbrellas do that but softboxes seem more expensive but i read that softboxes are more directional...does this make it easy for someone new to lighting?
Thanks from Casey.

Casey,
unless you are doing a large group portrait you will find that the 430 will need to be dialed down in power anyway, even with umbrella.

Cheers
John

pollen
09-07-2010, 7:34pm
It's impossible to answer this question without knowing your setting, your lighting profile and what subject you are photographing but generally a speedlight has enough power in low light or overcast conditions, but it will be far too weak outdoors under direct sunlight unless you are VERY close

bigdazzler
09-07-2010, 9:23pm
What Pollen says is right ... however, a strobist kit, including either an an umbrella with umbrella swivel mount or foldable speedlight softbox, and a lightstand, is a great start to get you up and running. You should also consider some triggers/receivers like the Cctus V4s or Yongnuo RF602s to fire your flash.

This is a simple setup that will give you hours of off camera flash fun when youre starting out with this stuff. Take a look here (http://protog.com.au/light-diffusers-c-51.html) for a few basic options :)