PDA

View Full Version : canon 500d with 70-200m IS USM /2.8L

Phong Cao
04-06-2010, 8:40pm
Hi I'm new here and to photography.

I've got a 500d canon and just brought a 70-200mm IS USM f/2.8L and found that the camera doesn't turn on when the lens is on it some times. It turns on immedaitely when i pull the battery out and place it back in with the camera on the ON position though... does anyone have the same issue..? or is it just me.

Gemini2261
04-06-2010, 11:14pm
Hi Phong & welcome to AP...I have a 500D & a range of lenses now & I have not had any hiccups or issues with it so far. Maybe return it to the place of purchase for them to have a look at it. :)

wideangle
06-06-2010, 1:18am
Sounds like it could be a lens issue. Have you tried using different lenses to see if the same things happens? If it doesn't happen with other lenses, then it might be something to do with the contacts on the lens that isn't working properly.

Tannin
06-06-2010, 1:26am
Before you do anything else at all, clean the contacts. THis is exactly the sort of problem you get from dirt or corrosion on the metal contacts that form the electrical connection between camera and lens. Use an ordinary rubber, same as you would use to erase a pencil. Just buff the contacts up and see how you go. If the problem remains, then it is a problem.

Phong Cao
07-06-2010, 12:46pm
thank guys

But what I've found is. when i upload picture to my laptop with the 70-200 on it... thats when the issues occures.. doesn't do it with other lens.. it maybe the camera body itself...

Hays
08-06-2010, 4:59pm
If that is the case, just simply buy a card reader.
Anyway IMHO it is better to upload the photos using card reader than direct from your camera. :)