PDA

View Full Version : One question is what is AE BKT STEPS what does this do and used for.

Tara smith
03-06-2010, 9:17am
One question is what is AE BKT STEPS what does this do and used for.

Kym
03-06-2010, 9:54am
I moved your post to here as its own thread.

What camera are you using?

I'm thinking it means AutoExposure Bracket Steps or something like that.

What it most likely means is the +/-EV (Exposure Value) to make when doing a bracketed set of exposures.
I.e. -1 0 +1 in a set of 3 exposures so that you can later merge those using HDR software.

What I just said probably opened a whole bunch of new questions. :D

Maybe have a look at the New to Photography (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104) forum and the Learning Plan (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=24290)
Before diving into this setting on your camera.

dbax
03-06-2010, 9:58am
^ what Kym said sound right to me.
An in camera system to take the same scene at different exposure values in rapid succession usually for merging later in PP.

OzzieTraveller
03-06-2010, 6:34pm
G'day Tara

Firstly - Welcome to the Forum :)

Most cameras have a setting called "AEB" ... Automatic Exposure Bracketing, and when it is activated, the camera takes 3 (sometimes 5) exposures in qwik succession. Most cameras will take these 3 pics with one single press of the shutter button, some cameras need 3 presses of the shutter button

These 3 pictures are exposed at 1- the metered settings (speed & aperture), 2- a bit more light, and 3- a bit less light

The idea is that IF the subject's lighting is a bit chancey, then hopefully one of the other exposures will be better ... keep that and chuck away the others

The "stepping" option is so that you can choose a) how many exposures the camera will shoot, and b) whether you want these exposures to go to the " + " direction or the " - " direction

As the others above have mentioned, as well as choosing the 'best' exposure, you can also [with experience] use photoshop [or equivalent] to merge all 3 pictures to become one ... but here and now is not the place to describe the process, called HDR by the way

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil

kiwi
03-06-2010, 6:41pm
Very good description there phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tara smith
07-06-2010, 10:46am
Thanks Kym for your help, I'll check the site out