PDA

View Full Version : Best general use macro lens

rick75
02-06-2010, 8:34pm
Ok so about to get a macro lens, either the tamron 90mm f2.8 or the tamron 60mm f2.0, so my question is which is going to give the best all round performance, interested in jewellery photography, bugs, but also as a general lens, portraits etc. For the bugs etc I assume the 90mm would be the best, but I thought the ability of the 60mm in general and low light conditions would be better, can you get close enough to bugs with a 60mm or do you really need a 90mm or higher, what does everyone think?

Wayne
02-06-2010, 8:39pm
I have neither, but imagine the 90mm is pretty short for working distance when it comes to anything live, the 60mm I imagine would be even worse.

For static like jewelery either would be fine I think, but as portrait outfits, the 90mm is probably best.

ricktas
02-06-2010, 8:41pm
The tammy 90mm was voted worlds best macro lens for quite a few years and it got those awards for a reason. It makes a great portrait lens. I have one.

Now next question, what sort of portraits. Studio, outdoor, casual, glamour? If you are working in a studio for example with space restrictions the 60mm might be your better choice, but if you are doing outdoor stuff where you have the freedom of space, I would say get the 90. For my fungi shots I tend to use my Sigma 150mm macro much more.

rick75
02-06-2010, 8:50pm
Could you use the 90mm for bugs, or is it just too close to be practical, Rick you mention the 150mm what sort of distance from the subject are you for bugs etc?
Cheers

ricktas
02-06-2010, 9:04pm
Could you use the 90mm for bugs, or is it just too close to be practical, Rick you mention the 150mm what sort of distance from the subject are you for bugs etc?
Cheers

You have to take into account the closest focusing distance of each lens as well, cause no use getting your subject closer than that cause you cannot focus on them

Tamron 60mm : 23cm
Tamron 90mm : 29cm
Sigma 150mm : 38cm

I haven't really taken many bug photos with anything other than my 150mm. I prefer to keep my distance from spiders etc (hehe).

rick75
02-06-2010, 9:15pm
Thanks Rick, even a 150mm at 38cm is pretty close, I guess I am looking for a one off solution, I am starting to see this is not going to happen, is this where GAS kicks in?

maccaroneski
02-06-2010, 9:22pm
What do you shoot brand wise? I had the Tammy 90 and got rid of it in favour of the Nikon 105VR - although I'm not terribly experienced, that Nikon is certainly the best lens I've ever used, and it spends an awful long time on the camera. I find it focuses significantly faster than the Tamron (not a factor in macro where you are not often in auto focus but is in general use), is whisper quiet, produces a beautiful bokeh, and the front element does not extend when focusing. On the downside, it is significantly heavier and twice the price, although I don't regret the upgrade for a second.

rick75
02-06-2010, 9:31pm
I am using a Nikon D3000, looked at the Nikon 105mm, but at $1000 I was trying to pick something up a little cheaper, also was not sure what the 105mm would be like on the jewellery.
If the 105mm will be fine on the jewellery I might go that way.

Tannin
02-06-2010, 9:37pm
I shouldn't think that there would be too much doubt that the best general-use macro les in the world today is the Canon 100mm/2.8L IS. It has swept the field so far as reviews go, it is quite reasonably priced for what it is, and it has new-generation image stabilisation superior to any other lens made. Next best would probably be the Nikkor 105 VR, but it lacks the macro stabilisation function.

But that's a general answer about the best lens: you are asking which is the better of two. As Rick says, the Tamron 90mm macro is well-regarded. Here is a generally positive review from the excellent and very reliable site The Digital Picture http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-90mm-f-2.8-Di-Macro-Lens-Review.aspxlookibn You can usually take anything they say there as gospel truth. Note that the Canon 2.8 macro they compare the Tamron to is the old non-IS model (which is still a worthy lens nevertheless), not the new one I mentioned at the start of my reply.

There don't seem to be any trustworthy reviews of the Tamron 60mm/2 yet. It's a fair bet that it will be a high quality lens - in fact, you really battle to find a bad macro lens these days - but whether it will beat the 60mm Nikkor and Canon ones remains to be seen. I should imagine that it will go close. Tamron don't say if it has a high-quality focus motor ("silent wave" in Nikon-speak, "USM" if you talk Canonese) but the availability of full-time manual focusing hints that they do. It's a worthwhile feature.

The real question for you isn't "which lens", it is "which focal length class". In the end, there are differences between the Tamron, Nikkor, Tokina, Canon and Sigma lenses in the 100mm class, but they are small differences compared to the difference between any of those lenses and any of the 60mm class macro units. In short:

100mm class (including 90mm, 100mm, and 105mm):

Quite a lot better for insects with a much more practical working distance
Somewhat better for flowers and other small objects (same reason)
Probably better for rings and stuff too, but I'm guessing at this.
Useful as a longish portrait lens, but a bit too long for most people.
Somewhat useful for landscapes and general-purpose use, but too long to be a great general lens.

60mm class:

Not so good for insects
Good for flowers and other small objects
Probably not quite so good for rings and etc. but I'm guessing again.
Very useful indeed as a portrait lens
Really good to use as a general-purpose short telephoto for landscapes and similar.

Summary: get a 100(ish) mm lens if macro is your # priority, get a 60mm macro lens if you want a more all-round useful lens.

DJT
02-06-2010, 9:41pm
Sigma do a 105 also & it is rated in the same league as the Tamron 90.

Tannin
02-06-2010, 9:41pm
The Nikkor 105/2.8 VR macro is $1000? For what it is, that's a damn good price! If you are going to go for something longer rather than something shorter, that's hard to go past. I've never used one (wouldn't fit my Canon bodies) but everything I have heard about them is good. Go for it!

maccaroneski
02-06-2010, 9:50pm
Excellent advice Tony - although what would you say to the proposition of OP picking one up in the 100mm class, but for only $150 more picking up a 50mm 1.8? Slides into your advice.... and then the would have the best of both worlds. :)

rick75 I couldn't really see any difference between the Nikon and the Tamron as far as jewellery goes. There is nothing between the two as far as macro work goes (with the exception of the extending front element of the Tamron which may or may not trouble you) but if you are looking to use the lens in various situations, I would go with the Nikon for the reasons outlined above. Assuming of course you want to go with the 100mm class - I have no idea about the shorter ones from a performance standpoint.

maccaroneski
02-06-2010, 9:51pm
The Nikkor 105/2.8 VR macro is $1000? For what it is, that's a damn good price! If you are going to go for something longer rather than something shorter, that's hard to go past. I've never used one (wouldn't fit my Canon bodies) but everything I have heard about them is good. Go for it!

I got mine for $900 delivered (grey import).

rick75
02-06-2010, 9:55pm
Thanks for all the advice, I can see them on ebay for between $980 o/s or $1050 local where abouts did you pick it up for $900.

Thanks again for the advice

maccaroneski
02-06-2010, 10:00pm
Thanks for all the advice, I can see them on ebay for between $980 o/s or $1050 local where abouts did you pick it up for $900.

Thanks again for the advice

http://www.citiwideonline.com/au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=529&category_id=97&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Although from memory courier was $40 - $910 all up actually.

TEITZY
02-06-2010, 10:10pm
I have both Tamron's (recently sold the 90) and for macro the 60 is the clear winner IMO. It has the same working distance as the 90 (about 100mm) but it also has internal focusing and faster AF. It is also a stop faster @ f2, though you can only use it wide open near infinity, at portrait distances it's usually about f2.4. I also found it slightly sharper at wider apertures than the 90 and with less CA.

100mm working distance is plenty for 99% of bugs and I use extension tubes which further reduces the working distance but I never have any problems getting that close to my subjects.

For portraits you still need to stop down to f2.8 to be tack sharp but it IS sharp right across the frame. Sharper than my Nikkor 50 1.8 at the same apertures.

Cheers
Leigh

Cage
02-06-2010, 10:11pm
Hi Rick,

FWIW, I have the Sigma 105 2.8 Macro and I think it's an incredibly good lens. It also doubles as a short telephoto (157mm on my camera) and is priced around the $600 mark. Google it and check the user reviews it gets.

Cheers

Kevin

rick75
02-06-2010, 10:33pm
The only problem with the Sigma is that they don't have the AF motor built into them, the d3000 needs this.
Leigh I am glad you like the 60mm lens, I was really leaning towards this lens until tonight. I just don't know which way to go, everybody has very valid points .
Thanks for everyones input it is much appreciated.

fairy bombs
05-06-2010, 8:21am
I am buying a 60 mm F 2.8 ef-s second hand next week for $400,I bought another lens of a chap,and he had this 60 mm macro (Canon brand) and I was'nt planning to buy it,but I put it on the camera=took three photos,and thought-Damn-this so,so sharp,I had to to have it!,

I have been interested in getting into macro for some time,and heard very good reviews of this lens (9.6 on FM),so for general use/potrait/some garden and insect close ups.for for $400 a great way to start out.It would be very good for jewellery photography the OP mentions.

I have used and seen a Canon 100 EF-S F 2.8 and its a stunning lens, (9.5 on FM) very good for insects and portait/head and shoulder photos,I will be buying one of them soon too!.

I know a chap who has both,and they can be both used and are so good,that just because you have two does'nt mean you have to sell one on.

The world of macro is endless and lot of fun!

AmPhot
05-06-2010, 10:30am
Rick,

Cant add much else to what's been said, except an example of jewelery taken with my Tamron 90mm. Took this about 5 minutes ago, straight from camera :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/crouchy/AP%20Posts%20-%20Macro/100605RingMacro.jpg

At the end of the day, your budget will drive things. ;)

swifty
05-06-2010, 11:06am
Others can hopefully confirm this for me but I believe the minimum focussing distance is also from the film/sensor plane, not the front of the lens so the working distance is even shorter.

rogklee
05-06-2010, 3:50pm
I think the most important thing for you to do is go in and try them.

I went in a tried both the 90mm and the 60mm. The 60 is definately a better lens in that it is sharper, faster and has that lower f stop. It'll also be great as a general walk around since it's not too narrow.

I bought the 90mm (mainly due to price) but the 60mm is significantly more expensive. If you wanted to still do macro stuff (especially with bugs) I've found even the 90mm lacking in magnification, so it'll probably be a good idea to invest in some kenko tubes or similar for macro anyways!

but at the end of the day, TRY THEM!!

rick75
05-06-2010, 7:53pm
That is what I have settled on, the tamron 60mm and some tubes, the 60mm is just amazing, the photos that are on display in the macro section of the fly are just mind blowing IMHO, at around $600 off ebay it has me over the 90mm @ $450 0r the Nikon 105mm @ $1000.

Thanks again for all the opinions.

JorgD
06-06-2010, 10:19pm
Yes swifty, manufacturers generally measure focus distance from the film plane, not the front of the lens.

With normal lenses, the depth of field dramatically reduces as the focal length increased. I went for a 60mm macro lens because I was worried that a 105mm macro lens would have a smaller DOF and thus make it even harder to get the whole insect in focus. Is that a valid concern, or does a 180mm macro have the same DOF as a 60mm macro when both are shot at 1:1 magnification and same f stop?

Tannin
06-06-2010, 10:39pm
does a 180mm macro have the same DOF as a 60mm macro when both are shot at 1:1 magnification and same f stop?

Rough answer: YES. Same depth of field for the same framing, regardless of focal length. For the same magnification, all focal lengths give the same depth of field

More accurate answer: NOT EXACTLY. The rule above (same framing = same DOF regardless of focal length) is always true at longer subject distances. Where the focal length is large relative to the subject distance, however, the rule above does not apply. So, at macro distances, the rule is invalid. There is no simple rule for this circumstance, and different lenses - even different-design lenses of the same focal length - give different results. Frankly, I can look at the maths and feel my eyes glaze over.

JorgD
06-06-2010, 10:48pm
Thanks Tannin for trying to explain it and now still not leaving me with a clear indication if the 180mm macro would have a significantly smaller DOF than the 60mm macro at 1:1 magnification :)

But thanks for pointing it out for longer focal lengths, I had not thought about it in terms of framing. I just noticed that my 10mm lens had way more depth of field than my 200mm lens when both shot at f5.6, but then again, they never had the same framing of course.

TEITZY
07-06-2010, 9:34am
At 1:1 the DoF will be practically the same at the same aperture on both the 60 & 180. The framing or perspective will be different though.

Cheers
Leigh

mocha2204
08-07-2010, 2:14pm
I went to that site :

http://www.citiwideonline.com/au

and the price is very very good. D90 body is only for $860!
has anyone else bought from this site?

too bad they dont sell tripod :(

ving
08-07-2010, 3:09pm
90mm tammy is probably the best vfm.

i use a 55mm nikkor micro tho.