PDA

View Full Version : New PC - CS5 & LR<x> ??

MrJorge
02-06-2010, 2:22pm
As discussed in the new gear thread I have a new Windows PC. It's a bit beasty so should hopefully empower me to PP things faster and easier.

I'm sold on the LR + PS workflow so don't try to convince me otherwise ;)

CS5 is out and has been for a while and I've heard about a feature or two I like the sounds of so will be working towards a copy of that.

It looks like LR2 is still the latest stable production version. I currently use LR1.4 still on my old laptop. I also know LR3 is out there in Beta and, again, has a feature or two I think will be very handy for the type of photography I do.

So what do people think? Can I even get LR3 as an install or do I need to upgrade from my older version to get it? Can I export my LR1.4 catalogues, presets, images in such a way that will import straight into LR3?

Thoughts welcome.

I can't wait to get this stuff working on my Dell U2410 monitor and new PC. It's going to make PP a bit more fun for me I think.

maccaroneski
02-06-2010, 2:54pm
Michael the Lightroom 3 beta is still available: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/. It expires on 30 June.

Note that you would have to implement a workaround to get your Lightroom 1.4 catalogue / library into Lightroom 3.

MrJorge
02-06-2010, 3:13pm
Thanks for the link and the info. I'll look into that some more.

kiwi
02-06-2010, 4:27pm
Just be aware that there ia no guarantee that your catalogue in the beta will be able to be migrated to production :)

Im pretty sure you can import the LR 1.4 catalogue into it though

MrJorge
02-06-2010, 4:34pm
Just be aware that there ia no guarantee that your catalogue in the beta will be able to be migrated to production :)

Yeah for that reason, and a few others, I think I'll just stick with LR2 for now. Going to be fun migrating from laptop to new desktop + LR1.4->LR2 without worrying about LR3 prod changes vs LR3 Beta.

Sounds like the Beta test is almost over anyway. So LR3 production might not be too far away.

kiwi
02-06-2010, 4:36pm
Ive been using LR3 for months. I dont care about the catalogue, at some stage I'll just run a massize high res JPEG export and import into LR3 production.

MrJorge
02-06-2010, 5:04pm
Well I've got multiple catalogues going on. Considering, as part of the migration, sucking them all into one big one. Not decided on that yet.