PDA

View Full Version : Tamron 18-270mm or Canon 18-135mm?

darryn
01-06-2010, 4:07pm
Hi All,
I'm unsure which lens to add to my Canon 7D and I am curious to hear from people who have either of these lenses or know about them. I'm looking for a multy use walk around lens that will get a lot of use.

Thanks
darryn

Old Skool
01-06-2010, 4:36pm
Hi
I have the Canon 18-135 and love it. Great walk around lens, I haven't found the need for anything longer for just a general traveling lens. Images are nice & sharp with nice colour. Did look at the Canon 18-200 reviews, but reviews suggested this produced better images.
Don't know on the Tamron, but that size would be a great walk around lens also - has it IS?

kmcgreg
01-06-2010, 8:38pm
I have the Tamron 18-270. Generally a good travel lens. Not great in low light but still a good all round easy to travel lens.

bricat
01-06-2010, 9:37pm
I'll watch this thread with interest Darryn as I just purchased a 7D myself and am looking for more usefull lenses. Cheers Brian

wattsgallery
01-06-2010, 9:54pm
Guys just for what its worth - if the lenses you are looking at are not too expensive and are really useful for now then go for it but given that you have a quality camera (7D) I am pretty sure it wont be long before you start to focus more seriously on the limitations of lenses so make sure you can easily resell (keep packaging, warranty cards etc) and be sure you can live with any known issues including ones such as no constant aperture. You may want to consider with something like the 17-55 f2.8 Canon (or more economical Tamron equiv.) plus tele or the 24-105 f4 (not my favourite but well liked) could be a more long term solution. Just some thoughts.
Good luck.
Josh