PDA

View Full Version : Vignetting with photoshop CS

dubbadan
31-05-2010, 5:49am
Hi.

This is my first post. I got a DSLR for my b'day last year and have been gradually becoming addicted to photography! :)

I've been reading various tutorials on how to vignette frame edges. I want to do an oval shape. My problem has been that the edge of the oval is always too obvious. So far my process has been to select the oval with the elliptical marquee tool, inverse, create a new layer, soft light mode, fill with black, then add a gaussian blur filter. The filter does soften the edge a bit but even if I push the radius slider all the way up to 250px I still get a defined edge. I've tried playing with the fill and layer opacity but if I take it right back to almost invisible the edge is still too obvious.

Maybe I'm missing a step somewhere...? :confused013

Dan.

Harves
31-05-2010, 6:07am
Dan.....depending on the resolution of your image, select your marquis tool with about 150px feather. Mark out your selection over the image and on the tool bar go to "Select" - "Inverse", go to "Image" - "Adjustments" - "Brightness", move the slider until your vignette is at the desired darkness.

PS. Best to make a background copy and work on that, at least then you can dump it if it doesn't work, that way you still have the original.

Jeanette
31-05-2010, 6:09am
cant see a photo?

Michael
31-05-2010, 6:27am
I do something similar which always gives me a result where the vignette is not noticeable.

Use your marquee tool to make your selection, select, add a "solid colour" adjustment layer, choose black as your colour, invert this (note do not change layer mode, keep blend mode as normal). Then as you have done select Gaussian blur somewhere between 200 - 250 (or what evere suits and adjust the opacity of this layer until you get the result you are after. Works every time.

dubbadan
31-05-2010, 8:21am
Great! Thanks.

Harves, I got the feather thing not long after I posted this.

Michael, I'll try your method next...

kaiser
31-05-2010, 1:08pm
Duplicate base layer > blending mode multiply > oval or rounded square marquee tool on this new layer to desired size > feather edge to desired level > delete selection.

James T
31-05-2010, 1:24pm
I'd use a curves adjustment layer if I was doing it in PS. No needless extra pixels then fattening up your file. And then mask it out using a feathered elliptical selection as mention above. (Though I'd more likely do it manually with a brush rather than a selection).

msenior
02-06-2010, 11:59am
Can't you just use the lens distorsion effect in CS?

Thats what i used on mine

Mike

callanrobison
02-06-2010, 6:47pm
I use Filter>lens correction.