PDA

View Full Version : What are the dry sensor cleaning options

dmdigital
30-05-2010, 7:45pm
I'm considering the rather expensive Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly 724 sensor cleaning brush. I'll admit the whole aspect of sensor cleaning scares me more than a little but FX sensors and dust bunnies seem to go hand in hand.

I've read through a few rather good threads on AP about sensor cleaning and also a number of other sites too. But most of it only mentions wet cleaning. I'm pretty convinced if I went for a wet solution, I'd just go and by the Copper Hill kit. But the other thing is I do get to a major city once or twice a year and so can get a proper clean done then I suspect.

One thing that I do need though is something that I can travel with both on air and in the car. So it has to be airline safe and as for the car it has to be able to withstand high temperatures and not deteriorate or evaporate. So to this end I was thinking that a dry method of cleaning would be the best option. The Visible Dust products seem to be well mentioned on the web with good reviews and the Arctic Butterfly 724 brush seems what I need. Only thing is they are expensive.

So is anyone using one of these?
If not is anyone using a different dry method?

ricktas
30-05-2010, 7:51pm
*LensPen sensor cleaner and a blower brush : http://www.lenspen.com/403/377/

*The other, for me, would be Dust Aid : https://www.cameracheckpoint.com.au/shop/html/product-list.html

Darey
30-05-2010, 8:00pm
I have been using the DustAid kit for a couple of years now and have found it to be excellent. :th3:

kiwi
30-05-2010, 8:44pm
I recently bought dust-aid dry and wet

Dry couldnt be easier, worked for me

dmdigital
30-05-2010, 8:48pm
Hadn't come across the Dust-Aid, looks interesting - and a lot cheaper.

Not overly keen on the LensPen SensorKlean, though I do use LensPens it seems, to me, to aggressive.

More research...

ricktas
30-05-2010, 8:55pm
Hadn't come across the Dust-Aid, looks interesting - and a lot cheaper.

Not overly keen on the LensPen SensorKlean, though I do use LensPens it seems, to me, to aggressive.

More research...

The lenspen can leave bits of carbon on your sensor, so a good brush and blower is a must after using one.

Bails55
30-05-2010, 11:11pm
Arthur's (arthurking83) pretty adept at cleaning sensors...send him the airfare!! :lol:

Papou
30-05-2010, 11:54pm
What works for me is the following:)..

Some time back i purchased a Pentax isTds,Good camera (for me anyhow) but a shytemagnet for dust!!. Did the sussing out thingy regarding sensor cleaning and a very Good Nikonian Friend suggested the following and havent looked back since.
Visted the local art shop and purchased two good artist brushes (good quallity) same width roughly as the sensor)
Tin of moisture compressed air as techies/electricians may use and blow the air through the brush bristles and this does the same as having the arctic butterfly brush which spins around to create static electricity on the brush to attract the dust to the bristles and remove it from the sensor , unless offcourse its kinda stuck a tad wee solidly there :).
IF thats the case then you also need to aquire yoursel some white spirits alcahol from your local Chemist or whomever thats recomended for the job at hand.(My good friend was kind enough to send me some from his stockpile):D.
Dip the brush in ,shake excess off and wipe back n forth along the sensor and let dry and hopefluuly it will remove stubborn dust.
If its a tad more stubborn than normal then there's some nice toilet paper thats firm and doesnt leave behind any residue when wrapped around the brush(dipped in alcohol) and can wipe the sensor a tad bit harder after all that what ya do with the wipes you buy from whichever supplier you use ey??..
First and foremost though i use the Rocketblower!!!and if that dont work then i resort to the above..
So far so good and havent had any problemo's but its your camera and you have to take the risk doing it yourself so dont go racing off and doing the above if your feinthearted or unsure or if your heavyhanded lol..
PS also read your manuals instructions on how to set your camera up for sensor cleaning..

Schmenz
31-05-2010, 12:20am
ive heard those rocket blocker things with the red tip are the bomb from a pro guy. so that would be my pick for dry.

dmdigital
31-05-2010, 9:13pm
Just ordered a Dust-aid platinum kit, will see how it goes.

kiwi
31-05-2010, 9:15pm
ive heard those rocket blocker things with the red tip are the bomb from a pro guy. so that would be my pick for dry.

they are good, but, effect is limited, they just usually move dust around rather than anything. Sooner or later it sticks.

Schmenz
31-05-2010, 9:51pm
hmmn maybe not so good.

i have a copper hill set lying around here somewhere. i had a chronic dust bunny once. havent checked recently

arthurking83
31-05-2010, 10:33pm
I'm not a big fan of dry cleaning myself, but apparently flammable liquids like Eclipse are not allowed on airplanes(fair 'nuff too!).

The Copperhill sensor brush is OK... but effectively useless on the really stubborn dustbunnies you can sometimes come across. You do statically charge the bristles before use, by rubbing gently on some (supplied) paper stuff.

It works better that any blower type device on the 'hair type' dust particles that curl up and get comfy on your sensor(that's really only when I use mine).

But I like the idea of the Dust Aid kit.

Seems a little expensive on a per clean basis, but it'd be indispensible if you do regularly travel by air tho!!

I would never wipe a sensor with a dry kit.. massive chance of causing micro scratches that can ruin the sensor's filter.. even though they're replaceable.. and it will degrade IQ if it does get scratched.

i've tried a rocket blower and it really only blows more dust onto the sensor that it removes. .but in saying that the dust is very fine and really only visible at f/16 and beyond.

I use only canned air to 'blow out dust' off the sensor and out of the vicinity of the mirror box.. and then clean with the wet copperhill kit.

A note for wet cleaning proponents too. If left to sit for too long, Eclipse fluid can 'separate'. By separate, I mean that when you use it on the sensor, it can leave a 'wet steak' affect. Not a residue that is hard to remove.. more like a water streak. Easy solution is to shake the Eclipse before use.
I've never read anyone else ever having that issue, but I found that out the hard way
Although the fix was quick and easy. Shake and do it once again, on an already cleaned sensor. The second wipe removed the wet streaking.

Also note!!

YOU ALL probably have dust bunnies on your sensor. The degree of their impact on your images is inversely proportional to the size of the diaphragm setting on your lens.
ie. the more you stop down, the more they show up!
(I suppose the opposite should be true then too.. stop up, and they show down .. even tho it may not make sense, it's still true!)

check at f/22 as a minimum! If you never, ever shoot at f/16 dust bunnies should never really be a problem.