PDA

View Full Version : Broken camera LCD, oh no!

philmud
29-05-2010, 9:20pm
I broke the lcd on my camera today- it was on the floor of my far (in a camera bag) I can slide the back seats forward to make the boot bigger, but thought there was still room for my camera- it appears not!

Anyway, I assume warranties don't normally cover a photographer's lack of spatial awareness, so I was wondering if anyone knows what Canon will sting me to fix it? It's a 450D.

Cheers,

Phil

Schmenz
29-05-2010, 9:28pm
probably, but you never know. is it in warranty still. i have seen multiple lenses dropped with filters jammed on and glass all within the lens zoom region making crunching noises sent away to canon (obvious drops) and they have been fixed and cleaned and not charged a cent! only one way to find out!

philmud
29-05-2010, 9:30pm
Good point, I'll give it a go!

kevinj
29-05-2010, 9:45pm
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new camera,the 7D is nice.

philmud
29-05-2010, 9:47pm
Ironically I have my eye on a 7D but can't quite afford it just yet! Looks even further off now :-(

Schmenz
29-05-2010, 10:03pm
i like the 7d.. but this may sound dumb... i find it hard to hold. i have very small hands, and the thumb grip is where my thumb sits and i cant grip it properly :( the 5d or the old 30 fit much better

maybe id get used to it.. but im not 100% sold yet.

JM Tran
29-05-2010, 11:02pm
one of my old clients smashed the LCD of his D60 on the plane as carry on luggage, smashed glass and all the liquid oozed out etc

went to Photo Technical in Adelaide, got it repaired and replaced with new glass and all - $95 dollars all up he told me, quite surprised myself!

Hajime who runs the place is a Nikon authorized repair and servicing man

Wilky
30-05-2010, 5:06pm
Broke the lcd screen on my 450d a couple of years ago. From memory cost me 200 something dollars. I posted it to Canon in Sydney, took about a week. I could find the paper work to give you exact cost if you want.

philmud
30-05-2010, 6:22pm
Hey thanks Wilky- I'm impressed that it only took a week- I'll be mailing mine off tomorrow and hoping for the best- ironically I had arranged to take a couple of weeks off work starting the week after next- the idea is that I was going to shoot for my portfolio for the course I'm doing- I obviously need my camera for this!

Schmenz
30-05-2010, 7:48pm
if its not too late and its in warranty id suggest taking it in to a store and doing it under their returns system.

reason being. i work in retail, and have seen these returned before. and its a big pain in the ... for them to send it back, contact the customer with the quote, wait for the customer to decide etc .. they just fix it. (within reason)

if u go to them. they charge u a lot more often.

5dmk2 screen fell out and they charged my dad. ive seen much bigger returns go though when working on the counter (ie the dropped crunching lenses) and they dont charge a cent. yea it could save you some money but would take longer by the time everyone contacted everyone.

philmud
30-05-2010, 10:52pm
Hmm, I'm onto the retailer's extended warranty- that doesn't cover accidental damage of course- I get what you're saying and it's good advice, but I need to do my folio, so I can't be sans camera for too long at all- someone put me onto vintech (http://www.vintechcamerarepairs.com.au/) in Melbourne and I plan to call them in the morning- with a bit of luck I'll be snapping away by next weekend- if it's going to be longer I might need to look at camera hire or something.

Appreciate all the help folks!!

Buggles
03-06-2010, 1:08pm
Hi,
My camera came out of the bag and landed on rocks, landing on the bottom/LCD. Day 3 of a 25 day hike, not happy. I thought it was stuffed, but kept shooting. Camera still worked fine. After returning home I went through the Canon repairs website and sent it in, received it back in a couple of weeks. Cost $190. Looks and works like new.
Craig

Error99
03-06-2010, 3:21pm
Can you still review images on the lCD.
If yo can, my guess is that it's just the hard plastic cover.