PDA

View Full Version : Macro Lens or Flash...(Won Comp Voucher To Spend)

Captured Exposure
29-05-2010, 11:33am
Hi,

I recently won a work competition for one of my photos and another made it in the final. At work they have a landscape photography competition. This has given me a voucher to the value of $500 to spend and any store with the regional footprint which mean I can't use online retailers and such only like HN or CH in Port Macquarie, now I am unsure on what to spend it on.

I was thinking of either a 1:1 macro lens which I have been thinking about for some time or flash unit for the camera, still looking into the benefits if any for landscapes although with the new bub it may be very handy as well.

It is a little unclear to me as to how a 1:1 macro pic would look like on screen, could anyone point me or post some photos where they have not used extenders so it is a pure 1:1 shot.

My main photo interest is landscapes for which I already have the Tokina 11-16 lens.

The macro lens I am looking to purchase is the Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1

I am also open to any other suggestion people might have for me to spend wisely.

This is the comp winner..."Solitude"
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4522450485_f677c19a1f.jpg (http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4522450485_f677c19a1f_b.jpg)

Cage
29-05-2010, 11:55am
Congratulations on your win.

I think you would be delighted with the versatility of the Tamron 90mm Macro.

I have the Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro and apart from being a brilliant macro lens, it is also a great portrait and short telephoto lens (157.5mm on my camera with the crop factor).

Cheers

Kevin

ving
29-05-2010, 12:02pm
once you have the tammy 90mm you are gunna want a flash cause natural light macro is a bit of a challenge....

maybe a flash and save for the macro? that said the 90mm is a pretty versatile lens and you done necessarily need to use it just for macro :)

Captured Exposure
29-05-2010, 7:15pm
Thanks for the replies guys, after much looking and researching I am going to go with the macro lens and get some Kenko extension tubes at a later date.