PDA

View Full Version : Optical Slave-Flash Triggers

OzzieTraveller
27-05-2010, 9:30pm
G'day all

I'm looking for some Optical Slave-Flash Triggers for use with P&S cameras ~ can anyone help with a "positive sighting"?

I have 4-5 perfectly usable flash guns from film-camera days, and I want to set up a series of workshop exercises using these flash guns, activated by optical triggers, flashed by students' P&S cameras. I have 1/2 dozen triggers from days-of-old, and they work just fine when an external-flash on an SLR shoots - but when a P&S [or the SLR using the built-in flash in auto-flash mode] does its "double-shoot" of the flash, it synchs with the pre-flash, not the main flash ... therefore no good

I have Googled 2-dozen sites and forums without success ~ been referred to look for "Digital" optical flash triggers, without success. I have left messages with 2-3 USA photo business houses asking the question ... still waiting for answers

If I have to buy new dedicated slave flash guns, I will most likely go for the Metz 28 CS2 units for around $140ea, but I would prefer to use the existing units and get some triggers for $30-50 each if I can

So .... "digital" optical slave-flash triggers - can anybody help please??
Regards, Phil

kiwi
27-05-2010, 9:37pm
The Yongnuo CTR-301P Wireless Flash Trigger + 3 Receiver. $75 or so can be optically triggered

I would have no idea what a digital optical trigger means, seems odd. Optical is light, so, Id imagine any flash source should trigger an optical flash. Not tried it with a P&S admittedly but cant see why not

I @ M
28-05-2010, 7:10am
Phil, these may be what you need (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fotogen-Lite-Trigger-Wireless-Optical-Flash-Hot-Shoe-/120575427361?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item1c12db0321). I have bought a few items from him in the past and he seems pretty reliable.

The only thing is that no optical trigger is going to be worth having if you are attempting to use the built in flash on any camera in any way other than totally manually.

OzzieTraveller
28-05-2010, 9:04am
G'day all

Thanx for the 2 suggestions (above)
FYI - Optical triggers have been around since the 60s that I know of, and [like the one referred to in the 2nd posting, of which I have got 5-6] are a simple "light flash in/out trigger" ~ ie: as soon as the device detects a flash (from any source) it will trigger the slave flash connected to the trigger device

A so-called "digital" optical trigger has the ability to be operator set (or 'trained') to activate the slave flash upon the 2nd or 3rd flash received rather than the 1st flash it detects

As I understand it, all P&S cameras and all dSLRs using the built-in flash fire 2 or 3 flashes in a micro-second ... where the 1st or 2nd are metering &/or red-eye-reduction flashes and the final flash is the main flash for actual exposure

So a so-called "digital" trigger will operate upon the main flash so that shutter synch takes place smoothly

I want to use these flashes in my photography workshops where students' cameras will activate the slave flash for exposure - and as I have all sorts of people & their cameras, I need to cover as many bases as I can

Regards, Phil

I @ M
28-05-2010, 9:10am
Phil, any dslr I have had anything to do with doesn't fire any preflash when set to manual mode, the preflash is only used as a metering system when using ttl, ettl or ittl depending on the brand of camera and the terminology. I guess it depends on the level of sophistication of the various P&S cameras available as to whether they can have the onboard flash set to purely manual ----

kiwi
28-05-2010, 9:31am
Pass, maybe check strobust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk