PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D5000 - Types of Wide angle lenses

Dez Zengin
27-05-2010, 1:54pm
Hi to all!!!

I'm pretty new to all this but I am getting to a stage where I want to add a new lens to my collection.

At the moment I have a 35-50mm and a 50-200mm lens for my D5000.

What I would like is a wide angle lens for photos in small spaces and landscapes.
I've been looking at the AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED which around the $2000 mark.

Obviously, I am still new to this and this is quite expensive for a noobie.

Any suggestions on what other lenses I can look into to achieve the above without the price tag?
Is there "mock ups" of Nikon lenses that work well (based on experience) with the D5000?

Thanks in advance.

chamellieon
27-05-2010, 3:36pm
I don't know what you mean by "mock ups" but if you want to go to a "third party" lens provider, such as Sigma, Tamron or Tokina, you'll find a wealth of wide angle lenses suited to the DX crop of the D5000.

The most popular wide angle lens, is the Sigma 10-20mm F3.5-5.6
Pretty much every landscaper i know has this lens, and it is a beautiful one at that.
When ordering, be sure to order a Nikon mount.

Tokina 11-16 (not sure on the specifics) however this is also highly regarded.

be careful not to directly buy the "fish eye" (unless this is what you want).
The sigma comes in around the $600-$700 mark, you can often find ebay secondhanders for dramatically less...

kiwi
27-05-2010, 3:38pm
You also need to choose only lenses that have a motor, eg AF-S for Nikon or HSM for Sigma

Id consider the widely likeed Sigma 10-20 HSM

Tikira
27-05-2010, 4:11pm
We really enjoy using our Sigma 10-20 on our d60 and consider it to be well worth thinking about. As Chamelleon & Kiwi said, make sure it is a Nikon mount and HSM. Check around, as prices do vary.
Di

Dez Zengin
27-05-2010, 4:13pm
Thanks heaps guys!

chamellieon - what i meant with 'mock up' you were pretty spot on. so same thing but different brand.

I'll be sure to check them out!

Dez Zengin
27-05-2010, 4:21pm
One more question, i am yet to discover the difference in F3.5 or F4-5.6 versions of the 10-20mm...?

fillum
27-05-2010, 4:31pm
Just a quick note if you're considering the Sigma 10-20mm. There are 2 versions of this lens - the older f/4-5.6, and the newer f/3.5 model. I don't know if the older model is still available to buy new, but if it is it should be a bit cheaper. As far as I'm aware both models have focus motors ("HSM").

I have the older f/4-5.6 model and find it performs pretty well. I vaguely remember reading something stating that the new model isn't quite as good as the old one, but I can't remember the details or where I read it. I just had a quick google but couldn't find it - you might want to do some research on this if you are considering the Sigma.

Cheers.

fillum
27-05-2010, 4:37pm
One more question, i am yet to discover the difference in F3.5 or F4-5.6 versions of the 10-20mm...?Dez I didn't see this question before I posted above. Are you asking what is the difference between the 2 versions?

Cheers.

steamy
27-05-2010, 4:56pm
Tokina 11-16 and you get f2.8 which has it's advantages.

I @ M
27-05-2010, 5:08pm
Just a quick note if you're considering the Sigma 10-20mm. There are 2 versions of this lens - the older f/4-5.6, and the newer f/3.5 model. I don't know if the older model is still available to buy new, but if it is it should be a bit cheaper. As far as I'm aware both models have focus motors ("HSM").

I have the older f/4-5.6 model and find it performs pretty well. I vaguely remember reading something stating that the new model isn't quite as good as the old one, but I can't remember the details or where I read it. I just had a quick google but couldn't find it - you might want to do some research on this if you are considering the Sigma.

Cheers.

I will heartily second that :th3: the first version F/4-5.6 doesn't seem to have many flaws and is probably the best bang for buck WA lens out there for a D5000.

The earlier version is still listed at Sigma USA and that is normally the first site to show any discontinuation of lenses in the line up.
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/wide-angle-zoom-lenses

kiwi
27-05-2010, 5:13pm
Tokina 11-16 and you get f2.8 which has it's advantages.

no autofocus though

steamy
27-05-2010, 5:44pm
BUMMER!
does on mine! or is that cause the D5000 has no in built focus motor?

I @ M
27-05-2010, 6:08pm
BUMMER!
does on mine! or is that cause the D5000 has no in built focus motor?

Google is your friend (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+lenses+work+on+a+d5000)

Lincolnbl
27-05-2010, 8:04pm
Im in the market for one of the sigma 10-20's as well and I have decided to go with the older 4-5.6 unit. The older is apparently sharper at the long end with less CA. But the most convincing part for me was the change in filter size - old uses 77mm and new one 82mm.

What are you planning on shooting? Most use this lens for landscape work and a wide open aperture is not really needed as you will be shooting f8 or smaller in nealry all situations.

Save you cash and go the older one :th3:

Dez Zengin
28-05-2010, 9:22am
Dez I didn't see this question before I posted above. Are you asking what is the difference between the 2 versions?

Cheers.

fillum thanks and yes, i would like to know how this difference will affect my photos.
What will it not allow me to do for example. what are the advantages of each.
Is it going to make a big difference? is it minimal difference.

I've recently been taught how the ap settings can affect my photos and i am starting to take it into consideration a lot with my photos. so how does the lenses ap setting affect me? hope my query makes sense hihihihi

Dez Zengin
28-05-2010, 9:27am
Im in the market for one of the sigma 10-20's as well and I have decided to go with the older 4-5.6 unit. The older is apparently sharper at the long end with less CA. But the most convincing part for me was the change in filter size - old uses 77mm and new one 82mm.

What are you planning on shooting? Most use this lens for landscape work and a wide open aperture is not really needed as you will be shooting f8 or smaller in nealry all situations.

Save you cash and go the older one :th3:

Lincolnbl thanks for that. my husband is more the landscaper and i'm the arts-y and people person. i was think this lens can be useful for both of us. I would like a wide angle so when i am in smaller spaces i can still get the image i want. i.e. in an alley way or a small room where i dont have enough room to move out further to get the picture i want. hope that made sense too! =)

Lincolnbl
28-05-2010, 4:02pm
Not sure how the 10-20 will go with portraits as it might distort the people a bit, could be used to good effect but certainly not a 'traditional' portraiture lens.

Given you have quite a long 35mm lens on a crop camera (47mm) you may be suprised by how close 18 or 17mm will get you to your subject.

Dez Zengin
01-06-2010, 10:33am
Not sure how the 10-20 will go with portraits as it might distort the people a bit, could be used to good effect but certainly not a 'traditional' portraiture lens.

Given you have quite a long 35mm lens on a crop camera (47mm) you may be suprised by how close 18 or 17mm will get you to your subject. <--- not sure what you mean by this. Im not to good with the jargon as yet... can you please explain?

And as for not a traditional lens for portraiture thats fine coz My current lenses do that job. I want something different i can play around with.