PDA

View Full Version : Buying old/second hand pentax lenses

Gav1n
27-05-2010, 12:26pm
Hello fellow pentaxians!

Just wondering if anyone has experience in or thoughts about buying older second hand pentax lenses?

I'm looking for a new fast portrait lens (50mm f1.4 to f2.0) and have found a fair few on ebay that look quite good for around $100.00. They are mostly older lenses with manual focus etc and that doesn't bother me at all.

It looks like this is probably the cheapest way for me to get a nice fast lens for minimal cost. I don't really want to go and spend $500 to $1000 for a new lens (as much as I'd love to!). I'd just like to get something that still takes good shots while I am still in my hobby phase. If I was to ever go semi-pro then I would obviously look at upgrading.

So...any thoughts? here are some links to lenses I have been looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110534683097&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120571085843&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350355300517&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260603603677&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Old Skool
27-05-2010, 7:38pm
Shameless self plug - Something like this, also fits Canon. Only problem I have is my eyes trying to manually focus, don't know what a Pentax digital focus screen is like though?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150448652158&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Kym
27-05-2010, 7:52pm
The 50/1.4 A autofocuses
The Ricoh 50/1.7 may jam on your camera unless you cutaway the lug thing
Personally either of the 1.4's would be my choice

Topgunn
27-05-2010, 8:29pm
The 50/1.4 A autofocuses

Are you sure on that Kym? I thought the "A" lenses have auto aperture but manual focus, the "M" lenses are full manual only (but I found a trick to use them on AV). I didnt think AF came in until the FA lenses. All of the A lenses I have seen have been manual focus but hey ive been known to be wrong before.
I got my 50mm from Cash Converters for the princely sum of $25 in fantastic condition with original caps and even a Olympus UV filter screwed on the front.
Id like to see any Nikanon Users get a pro quality lens for their DSLR for that price!

Gav1n
27-05-2010, 8:32pm
Cheers, all of those items have ended, but I'll keep an eye out for some more 1.4's that look good!

jibbonpoint
27-05-2010, 9:41pm
I've super taks 50 f1.4 & 135 f3.5. Great lenses but you need the hideously priced Pentax M42-K adaptor. (Just bought one, collected today $99). I do have others cheaper from ebay but I wanted the genuine article. Thay are fantastic lenses & there's plenty of reports on the net.

I also have the M28 f2.8 & that is essentially my walk around lens on my K10D. If you can get the A's & M's go for them. They are, of course, manual. As good or better than the Supertaks & you don't need an adaptor. I think the Supertaks are bringing high prices because those Canon & Nikon people can get adaptors for them. Strange people those Canikon's; rave about their brands but can't wait to get Pentax lenses. ;)

Try this site for information on the K mounts - http://www.bdimitrov.de/

They will also tell you which are Auto Focus & Manual.

I have an F50mm f1.7; (prior to FA). That's Autofocus.

cupic
27-05-2010, 10:47pm
I have M Pentax lens 50mm f/1.4,f/1.7,f/2,135mm f/3.5,200mm f/4 and now scored a AF TC Pentax 1.7X which Auto focus the Manual lenses the glass can be sourced from ekk bay or forums such as this one if one comes here or other dedicated forums.Although the TC works best on fast glass of f/4, or better

cheers

Topgunn
28-05-2010, 1:15am
Try this site for information on the K mounts - http://www.bdimitrov.de/

They will also tell you which are Auto Focus & Manual.

I have an F50mm f1.7; (prior to FA). That's Autofocus.

Sorry I forgot about the "F" lenses which must of been the first with AF.
Ive found this (http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensesExplained.html) site easy to navigate and it has some great info on the various pentax lenses produced. Ofcourse there is always the lens database on the pentax forums too. The site you linked to has some fantastic info regarding everything Pentax if you have some time to read through it.

StanW
28-05-2010, 7:45am
It would be worth watching for the auto-focus adapter also. I have one, and it works a dream with any fast (3.5 or better) K-mount lens

jibbonpoint
28-05-2010, 8:35am
It would be worth watching for the auto-focus adapter also. I have one, and it works a dream with any fast (3.5 or better) K-mount lens

A year or two ago, these were very expensive second hand & virtually unprocurable. If you were using one with a lens max aperture of 3.5, what would that make the virtual aperture then?

I must say, though, that I bought a 2x Tamron Teleconverter about 20 years ago & I take it everywhere. In that time, I can remember using it once. :umm: That was to get a shot of a piece of Industrial Archeology on private property using a 300mm lens.

Kym
28-05-2010, 8:41am
Are you sure on that Kym? I thought the "A" lenses have auto aperture but manual focus

Yes. Brain fart on my part. Auto aperture not focus.

Cage
28-05-2010, 5:01pm
I have the M 1.7 and it's a brilliant lens, although since I got the DA 40 Ltd I don't seem to use it much.

My only minor complaint is that the 'M' series and previous versions don't have a pick-up for your aperture setting which I find frustrating when assessing a sessions shots.

I'd suggest you stick with Pentax lens and look for an 'A' series 1.4 or 1.7. I wish I had.

Cheers

Kevin

tim71
28-05-2010, 7:34pm
I agree with Kevin, go for a pentax SMC A 50mm f/1.4 probably will have to pay at least $150 for a good one on ebay. Make sure you ask about fungus, haze, mould etc (if the seller doesn't comment on this in their description) and whether they have looked at the lens at 45degrees or more acute angles to spy into the lens to see how healthy it is. Just looking front-on can miss a lot of the imperfections. This is may be a bit over the top but also ask the ebay seller to post some macro shots of the lens taken at 45degrees.

I have just had to return two "clear" lenses purchased on ebay, fortunately I asked about fungus during the bidding and they said the lenses was free of fungus, the other lens was described as mint, so they didn't have a leg to stand on when I sent photos back showing lots of fungus. Both sellers have been good and given me a full refund, its nice to have the pay-pal protection failing this.

go to the pentax forums website as they have reviews on just about every lens made by pentax, ok from about the 1960's onwards.

cheers,
Tim

tim71
28-05-2010, 7:39pm
sorry Topgunn already mentioned the penatx forum lens database

tim71
28-05-2010, 8:04pm
For further pentax info also have a look at http://www.mosphotos.com/index.php

These guys are the moderators of pentax forums and this site contains a link to pentax forums, check out the cool banner photo on their home page.

They also provide a list/history of all pentax lenses

Gav1n
28-05-2010, 10:15pm
I have the M 1.7 and it's a brilliant lens, although since I got the DA 40 Ltd I don't seem to use it much.

My only minor complaint is that the 'M' series and previous versions don't have a pick-up for your aperture setting which I find frustrating when assessing a sessions shots.

I'd suggest you stick with Pentax lens and look for an 'A' series 1.4 or 1.7. I wish I had.

Cheers

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, from the forums Tim has suggested (thanks Tim! Wealth of information!) The M Series 1.7 seems the best...I'll see how I go anyway. Getting excited to finally use a nice fast lens! :efelant:

StanW
29-05-2010, 8:49am
The autofocus adapter has a factor of 1.7, which translates to about one and a half stops

Gav1n
07-06-2010, 4:18pm
Well picked up an A series 50mm f1.7 in excellent condition for $92.00 + postage. Not a bad price I think. Can't wait till it arrives :)

Cage
07-06-2010, 4:29pm
Congratulations & good shooting.

Kevin

Topgunn
07-06-2010, 5:28pm
I think you did well!
I hope you have better luck with the standard matte view finder than I did.
One things for sure though you will love the build and image quality, the creamy bokeh and the results you can get for such a relatively low amount of money.
Its one of the main reasons I chose Pentax.

tim71
08-06-2010, 10:35pm
well done

reaction
12-06-2010, 1:12pm
my tip, don't buy on ebay what you can't see and pay for in cash.

pay-pal protection doesn't work. As soon as you say you rec'd an item (any item, even an empty box) your dispute is closed

Master12
14-06-2010, 11:17am
I bought more than 20 Pentax lenses on eBay and have none of the problems so far.

Big Red
15-06-2010, 6:10pm
i have several 50 mm lenses from old takumars to the FA's and reckon the A series 1.4 and 1.7 are the best of the lot :cool:

roburg
16-06-2010, 9:32pm
I don't have any A series but I have the 1.4, 1.7 and 2.0 in the M series and the 1.7 is the pick of them.
I haven't had any trouble with Ebay lenses, but there's other sources like Photographic Trader mag and newspapers, and also look for online classifieds for your city.

baldrick
16-06-2010, 11:24pm
The 50/1.4 A autofocuses

What Kym said is right, Ricoh lenses although they are Pentax K mounts have an extra pin and there are many horror stories on these and other forums that start with "Help my lens is stuck on my camera". It`s OK if you know what you are doing and can remove the offending pin.