PDA

View Full Version : sRGB or aRGB?

FallingHorse
26-05-2010, 10:22am
I understand the differnces between sRGB and Adobe RGB but can anyone tell me when it's best to use either one? I read that sRGB should be for internet images because not all monitors can reproduce the colours in Adobe but once I change the image from Adobe RGB to sRGB, the images seem to be flat.

What about printing? Should I print from sRGB or Adobe RGB? :confused013

Kym
26-05-2010, 10:27am
Depends on the printer.

Are you using a printing service or your own printer?

What colour spaces do they support?

For serious commercial printing CMYK also comes into play.

Yes, ALWAYS use sRGB for web publication as not all browsers are colour space aware (notable MS IE is not).

FallingHorse
26-05-2010, 10:55am
Hi Kym,

I'll be using a printing service - not that there is really choice in NT, it's either Harvey Norman or the Kodak shop all the way in town (100 kms)

I'm not sure what colour spaces they support - I will have to ring them before I drive in, that's if they know - they usually have kids working there :confused013

I don't think I will be doing any serious commercial printing, my level of photography skill just couldn't justify it lol!

Edit: Rang Harvey Norman and she says that they support Adobe RGB .... but she also reckons whatever colour is in the photo will print out but I know that's not the case.... from previous experience, I had a photo with a lot of gold tones on wood that printed rather flat. She also has no idea what ICC profile is used

mercho
26-05-2010, 1:13pm
Edit: Rang Harvey Norman and she says that they support Adobe RGB .... but she also reckons whatever colour is in the photo will print out but I know that's not the case.... from previous experience, I had a photo with a lot of gold tones on wood that printed rather flat. She also has no idea what ICC profile is used

Yep i would definitely change to adobe RGB for printing, it wont be the same as the sRGB profile..

I use SRGB for web and AdobeRGB for prints.. The local print shop I go to do not alter the images what so ever (most of the kiosks will try and automatically colour correct) and the colour is identical to what i see on my monitor :)

Kym
26-05-2010, 1:25pm
Some of the cheaper systems only use sRGB I found out today.
So sRGB is safe, albeit lesser gamut then aRGB.

An alternate approach... Online printing - they mail it back to you.
Eg. www.blackandwhitephoto.com.au

kiwi
26-05-2010, 2:00pm
rgb digital are cheaper - $1.50 for an 8x10, and yes they post too

anyhow, I just use sRGB, it's pretty reliable no matter where it's printed or used

FallingHorse
26-05-2010, 6:23pm
Thanks guys - I have had some prints done on line but had them sent direct to my mum and she said she was happy with them, but I didn't see them !

$1.50 for an 8x10 is pretty good :)

Now for the next question .... gloss or matte ?? lol

I @ M
26-05-2010, 6:32pm
Now for the next question .... gloss or matte ?? lol

At those prices --- buy one of each and then decide. :p

Thor
01-06-2010, 6:02pm
sRGB as most allow that. I think only use aRGB if you are giving your pics to a magazine or something of the sorts to publish.