PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on AUTOMATIC mode

elGrando
25-05-2010, 8:32pm
Hi again. Hope this doesnt sound like too stupi a question. As an extremely amateur photographer I was curious to think what people here thought of photos being posted here that were taken in AUTO mode? Do the experienced people think its a waste posting them here? ( not saying that you think amateurs are useless)
For me it is a great way to learn and get a good quality shot without taking a load of crap ones to get use to positioning and angles, light etc.

kiwi
25-05-2010, 8:33pm
I dont really care of you use auto, manual, sport mode, alien mode, whatever

ITS THE PHOTO THAT COUNTS

ricktas
25-05-2010, 8:38pm
Auto mode has its place. Firstly when you are starting out, trying to learn all the features of your camera at once is stupid. Start on Auto, learn where the buttons are, get a good feel for the camera, and then if you want start looking at ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture. Try to learn one at a time by using semi-auto modes.

Many years ago a wise man (not that long ago and not one of those wise men, how old do you thing I am :D ) also told me when you finish your shoot, put your camera on Auto before heading home, or putting it away.

His reasoning, you are driving home and suddenly a yeti crosses the road in front of you, you grab the camera, and snap a shot off..but you have left it on manual from your waterfall shoot and the shutter speed is set to 10 seconds. Nice blurry mess of a shot and not an identifiable yeti in it anywhere. At least if you put it back on Auto when you finished your shoot, you would have a reasonable chance of getting something that proves you saw a yeti (or some guy taking a short cut to a fancy dress party).

Dylan & Marianne
25-05-2010, 8:51pm
auto definitely has its role!
in fact, for most, it takes a long time before using manual or other priority modes results in better pictures than what the camera decides for you !

etherial
25-05-2010, 9:18pm
I'll add my support here, it doesn't matter what mode you used or even what you used to take it, it is the end product and the experience that matters. Take photos on Auto or on your P&S or mobile phone for that matter, there is a lot more to master in photography than using a manual setting.

I just had a look at the picture you have posted and noticed that all of Ricks CC relates to composition of the image. It's quite ok to shoot Auto and develop other skills.

Look forward to seeing more of your work!

castaway
25-05-2010, 9:37pm
Every professional photographer was where you are at some point in there career.
The only place for you is where you feel comfortable.Auto-cool . Try something new awesome.
Join in, learn something, but most of all have fun. We look forward to seeing your photo's.
Mike

Xenedis
25-05-2010, 10:18pm
I dont really care of you use auto, manual, sport mode, alien mode, whatever

ITS THE PHOTO THAT COUNTS

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Furthermore, I don't care what camera or lens was used; it IS about the image.

I'd never use auto mode myself, but that's because I get a bit control-freak-like about photography and insist on being the decision-maker rather than letting the camera call the shots (so to speak).

kiwi
25-05-2010, 10:43pm
You know what, I actually find auto refreshingly carefree to use at times, I feel sort of guilty using it, strange huh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

draco
25-05-2010, 11:20pm
we all have to start somewhere don't we? i know I have photos taken by my Oly C740 in auto mode that i like more than some taken by the 40D

amexav
25-05-2010, 11:40pm
I have only had my DSLR for 2 months now. I read here and various other websites prior to getting my camera, then when I got it, there was the studying the manual (which I am still constantly going back to) before I switching to manual and played around for a few days, trying to set up shots and play with aperture, ISO etc. I began to get frustrated with myself for not 'getting it' right away or having a great shot out of focus. I just think there is so much to learn and I am a bit of a perfectionist!

I had to remind myself that photography should be fun and I bought my camera to take nicer photos of my children, so if I have to use auto, I use auto. I would prefer not to miss the shot than stress with dials and settings when I am trying to catch a gorgeous smile of my 3month old.

Chilli
25-05-2010, 11:59pm
I was pleasantly surprised the other day when i had to quickly take a photo of something and was
too tired to think. For the first time since I own my DSLR I went into auto mode and then went wow when i saw the shot..
damn, all this time ive been messing about with av, tv, manual etc and it was so easy in auto...:action003:

OzzieTraveller
26-05-2010, 8:25am
G'day elGrando & others

As I have noted on other threads, I travel thru rural / eastern Oz running Digital Photo Workshops. In these workshops I find that 70% of students are using Auto for all their picture taking. The first thing I get them to do is to go to Program mode

elGrando - I suggest that just for a start, set Program immediately ... the camera uses the same settings as Auto but the camera now shows you the exposure settings in use (whereas in Auto mode, you do not see these settings). As you take your pix, you will now see the various shutter speeds and lens apertures that the camera is selecting for you

Give it a little while and then you will have a better idea for the Aperture settings to go for (when you want more or less Depth of Field) OR the Shutter speed settings to go for (when you want to freeze motion or show motion)

And all of it will help your improved picture taking :) :)

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil

yarnella
26-05-2010, 8:27am
After 30+ years of using totally manual film cameras I finally got a DSLR in 2007 complete with all its automation. My camera has 9 shooting modes and only one of those is manual. I use manual when I need to but the rest of the time I use the other modes.

I rarely use the GREEN mode which is total automation. However, I use whichever other mode suits my purpose - HyperProgram, TV, AV, etc. All of them provide some level of automation. I might tell the camera what shutter speed to use but then it automatically sets the aperture and it auto focuses for me.

Nothing wrong with using an auto mode. I love them. By all means learn the technicalities of how it all works but use auto to allow you to concentrate more on the image you are creating.

elGrando
26-05-2010, 8:55am
Thanks all for the great feedback, great to hear so many opinions. I will start to post some photos soon to get some CC.

LJG
26-05-2010, 9:04am
Thanks all for the great feedback, great to hear so many opinions. I will start to post some photos soon to get some CC.

Good on you. Can't wait to see some. As a relative newbie myself I was determined not to use auto, but got stuck in the "P" mode rut. After some good constructive criticism on this site I have now been trying hard to get out of that mode and move into the more creative modes. I've had many many shots where I've cursed because I've botched what would have been a nice subject and probably good shot if I'd used "P" mode or auto, but I am trying very hard to stick to using manual, Av or TV. I realise at the end of the day when I finally get it right my images will be better, so feel throwing away lots of shots is worth it in the long run.

Clubmanmc
26-05-2010, 10:23am
The only time I have ever used auto mode, was when i had a point and shoot film camera... as there was no other mode...

after buying the SLR and then consequently the DSLR, i have never used the green Square option.

here is a thought...

instead of using the Green Square (on canon) or full auto... use the P mode (on canon) it shows you more of the cameras workings yet is still in almost full auto mode, it wont pop the flash for you, but other than that it works like it was in full auto, the other advantage, is that it allows you to learn what the camera is doing, instead of just being a passenger..

I would liken it to the difference between the driver and passenger in a fast car ride...
The driver knows whats coming, and can lean into a corner and has the wheel to hold on to, the passenger, is looking for the arm rest to hold on to, digging his feet into the carpet, both are enjoying it, but the driver is getting all the feel...

please dont take this as a dig, if you have bought a DSLR, you really need to explore the bounds of the camera, and its abilities as well as your abilities, so with out moving away from Auto, you never will learn...

take the plunge, believe me in months you will be better in control of the out comes, and that will make you a better photographer...

M

ving
26-05-2010, 10:38am
there is absolutely nothing wrong with auto mode! nothing!

its all about what works best.

I did a test shot recently because i was curious. I set the camera to landscape mode (auto) and took a shot of a sunset, then put the camera in manual and took exactly the same scene seconds after and i found that while both scenes looked good i had more control in manual mode and that shot turned out better.
had time been limited tho and i only had a few seconds window of opportunity then in manual mode i'd have been too late.

but that said i'll always encourage people to practice and learn to use manual mode. there is no better way to learn how the camera works :D

elGrando
26-05-2010, 11:06am
To CLUBMANMC no offense taken. I have every intention of learning and using the manual modes otherwise id probably have bought a good point and shoot. I originally was just curious if members thought it a waste of time posting photos here that were taken in AUTO (as most of mine to date are) as they may think it pointless due to there not being as much skill involved ( not including the skill of angle, lighting and the thousand other things needed for a great shot.
One of the main problems i have is getting the wife to agree to me practicing on her ( portraits), i want to be able to get decent shots as it may be a while before she agrees again (im used to hearing get that bloody thing out of my face haha) so auto at the moment seems more logical.

debs
26-05-2010, 11:22am
About 15 years ago I had a pentax film camera so I know I can learn to use a manual camera, but since owning my first dslr about 3 years ago I have been "stuck" in auto. I recently upgraded to a Canon 7d, I am still using auto but my plan is to do a tafe course next year and hopefully get to do a uni course, otherwise I feel like I have just bought a $3000 p&s camera. As said I think it's the end product that counts, who cares how you took it.

Chilli
26-05-2010, 11:29am
LOL, I get that from my 5 year old nephew every time he visits......
STOPPPPPPP TAKING PHOTOS OF MEEEE :vomit1:

Chilli
26-05-2010, 11:31am
debs, its true who cares how you shoot.
But I feel that by entering into creative modes you become the artist and develop a more personal
relationship with your camera and more satisfaction long term. Nothing wrong with a good challenge.

debs
26-05-2010, 11:44am
I agree with you Chilli :), but the op asked if it's a waste of time uploading photos taken in auto. We all have different levels of experience with our cameras and I don't think that a photo taken in auto is any less "worthy" than a photo taken in manual mode.

kiwi
26-05-2010, 11:51am
so, let's put into perspective creative control

to me auto on a camera chooses two main settings automatically, the shutter speed and the apperture

you still get to control :

light
timing
composition
sharpness
post processing

To be truthful, shutter speed and appeture for he majority of shots aren't even that important (relatively)

Clubmanmc
26-05-2010, 12:06pm
so, let's put into perspective creative control

to me auto on a camera chooses two main settings automatically, the shutter speed and the apperture

you still get to control :

light
timing
composition
sharpness
post processing

To be truthful, shutter speed and appeture for he majority of shots aren't even that important (relatively)

soooooory

but thats not true...
if the camera is automatically setting the speed and aperature, then you dont have a control over the sharpness (possible shaky hands with a long exposure) or the light (a bright spot in the shot over compensates the rest of the shot)... as it has decided what is "best" in the situation...

at least in Program mode, you can shift the exposure compensation...

M

Judd
05-06-2010, 5:55pm
I still consider myself a newbie at this, and very much use the auto mode, but when i have the time, i try to learn a new bit with the manual mode, today was about shutter speed and trying to slow the motion down, but I still mostly use the auto to get the shot, then play with manual if I have the time.

All the best

Analog6
05-06-2010, 7:19pm
And remember, when you look at those photos in your post processing program you can look at the shutter/aperture etc used and that gives you an idea of what type of settings you can set in Manual mode. Then you can experiment with bracketing etc

simonw
07-06-2010, 5:27pm
I am a beginner too but i decided to skip using auto mode and start on programmable mode. It is basically the same but forced me to take a little bit of control over settings such as flash and iso.

Then I moved on to semi auto motes (shutter priority) and took plenty of crap photos photos at first but I think it really helped me get a grasp of what everything means. I am now confident using manual mode for still life photos that dont matter if I stuff it up, but still often take a shot in programmable mode first to see what the camera would do in the situation.

Scree
07-06-2010, 10:29pm
Having more control over settings can be great, but a photo isn't less beautiful, wonderful, or worthy of praise because you used an automatic setting. Show it off!

I got to work at a charity teaching photography to groups that wouldn't normally get a chance to learn it. Some amazing works came from people with down syndrome. They were utterly, utterly stunning, and they were all taken on auto settings. You can have the most advanced camera on earth, but complicated isn't everything. Sometimes the best shot comes from auto, because those people so busy trying to organise the settings miss out on the shot.

Kym
07-06-2010, 10:36pm
I'll say it again... The AP NTP learning plan say to start with Auto mode !!
The plan then incrementally introduces other modes.
At the end someone who has completed the self paced plan will know which mode to use and when.

NikonNellie
07-06-2010, 10:54pm
I certainly think that Auto is the best way to start until you are comfortable with all of your buttons and knobs. I personally didn't stay on Auto for very long as I was doing a photography course at an evening college and was encouraged to start using manual mode. I found that using manual mode taught me the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO that I wasn't understanding when using Auto. I very rarely use Auto now but there have been a few times when I have missed a photographic opportunity fumbling around trying to get my exposure right.

juezznin
20-06-2010, 9:53pm
my opinion is that as an amateur photographer (myself) pictures taken in auto mode usually turn out better for me than ones taken in manual modes. hopefully as my photography skills increase i can take better pictures in manual.

mikew09
20-06-2010, 10:57pm
Never consider what mode was used but more the setting, ISO, aperture etc. Used auto for about 1 week I think, but to be honest, I learnt much more going to AV prioty, shutter priority and manaul and suggest to not waste too much time on auto.

Mike

David
21-06-2010, 3:33am
I'll say it again... The AP NTP learning plan say to start with Auto mode !!
The plan then incrementally introduces other modes.
At the end someone who has completed the self paced plan will know which mode to use and when.

I certainly think that Auto is the best way to start until you are comfortable with all of your buttons and knobs. I personally didn't stay on Auto for very long as I was doing a photography course at an evening college and was encouraged to start using manual mode. I found that using manual mode taught me the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO that I wasn't understanding when using Auto. I very rarely use Auto now but there have been a few times when I have missed a photographic opportunity fumbling around trying to get my exposure right.

Have to agree with both thought patterns here:

I started in AUTO mode and focused on composition rather than any of the techy stuff just to try and make interesting shots then went to a workshop or 2 and gradually learnt about M and AV and TV over time. Incremental learning worked for me and allowed me to have some fun (jagged a couple of nice shots along the way) at the same time..

You won't learn much about creating a shot in AUTO but it will get you started on the journey..

Zac
03-07-2010, 8:14pm
G'day elGrando & others

As I have noted on other threads, I travel thru rural / eastern Oz running Digital Photo Workshops. In these workshops I find that 70% of students are using Auto for all their picture taking. The first thing I get them to do is to go to Program mode

elGrando - I suggest that just for a start, set Program immediately ... the camera uses the same settings as Auto but the camera now shows you the exposure settings in use (whereas in Auto mode, you do not see these settings). As you take your pix, you will now see the various shutter speeds and lens apertures that the camera is selecting for you

Give it a little while and then you will have a better idea for the Aperture settings to go for (when you want more or less Depth of Field) OR the Shutter speed settings to go for (when you want to freeze motion or show motion)

And all of it will help your improved picture taking :) :)

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil

Great idea, P mode also unlocks -/+ EV which allows you some control while still keeping the camera in auto mode....

If auto works for you there is nothing wrong with it. As time progresses you'll become more comfortable with the other modes which allow you to get shots even in situations where auto would not do what you want...

pgbphotographytas
03-07-2010, 9:33pm
Use which ever mode you find produces the images you want. Having said that don't stay on auto for too long, the semi auto modes give you much more control.

Paul

vitagen
03-07-2010, 11:28pm
i've always gone P&S on auto!... since trying my brother's SLR... i'm hooked, so much to learn!

clickclick
09-08-2010, 4:46pm
ha ha thank god for auto until learn how to use those manual buttons :)

Mile
07-09-2010, 10:19pm
im new to photography and i used auto sometimes to see what the camera sets itself to and them put it on manual and adjust the setting to get different shots.

its also great for when i hand it to my partner, she can just snap away and not have to do any adjusting.

axler8
16-11-2010, 10:26am
Hey,

I know this thread is about the viability of using auto mode, but I wanted to extend it a little and suggest that most 'pros' would classify Av (aperture) mode as auto. What do people here think about that? I am not a pro by any means, but I find that I only dip into manual mode for long exposures or things of that nature, and use Av mode for everything.

David

ricktas
16-11-2010, 10:29am
Hey,

I know this thread is about the viability of using auto mode, but I wanted to extend it a little and suggest that most 'pros' would classify Av (aperture) mode as auto. What do people here think about that? I am not a pro by any means, but I find that I only dip into manual mode for long exposures or things of that nature, and use Av mode for everything.

David

Nope. I call AV/A more and Tv/S mode 'Semi-Auto'. Note that Av mode is only Canon, other brands call them A (aperture) and S(shutter) modes

TOM
16-11-2010, 8:28pm
elGrando, like Kiwi, I think it's the photo that counts. Some people enjoy the act of making the photograph more than others, just as some enjoy the end product more so than the process. Whatever motivates you and offers you enjoyment. For what it's worth, most photographers shoot in some sort of Auto mode, whether it be autofocus, autoexposure, or FULL auto everything. I can set my 35mm lens at F9.5, focus at infinity, set my meter to the ambient light, and I've got myself a fully mechanical camera that can be simply used to point and shoot for most situations that arise. No auto, but just as much/little works goes into a single shot, after the initial setup, yet making the photograph is hardly less enjoyable.

bloggs
20-11-2010, 7:20pm
Some good advice in this thread. I too have just started and use Auto mode mostly but intend to experiment more - when I can get the camera off my wife :).

Duane Pipe
20-11-2010, 7:50pm
I visited my cousin yesterday, and his wife wanted a look at my 7d so I put the 150-500 sigma on so she could have a play
I set it on auto with no is-os and she snapped away at a starling hand held.
I downloaded the images on my comp, and I think that they are the sharpest images i have seen so far with that lens :beer_mug:

geoffsta
21-11-2010, 5:49am
I used auto on my D90 and D3000 for a week or so when I first got them. Since then I use manual most of the time, except when I'm doing a panorama, I switch to "A" aperture priority.
Sure, if I get a bit excited on what I'm taking I'll get a few over or under exposed shots, but **it happens, and most can be corrected in PP anyway.

mikew09
21-11-2010, 7:02am
Makes no difference to me - if it encourages you to post photos sooner for cc etc that is a good thing. I wouldn't be too concerned with what mode you use, and truth be known, you will soon out grow it anyway as you become more adventurous and confident. Agreed, it is a great way to get a feel for the camera and settings.

jocksta777
07-02-2011, 12:31am
:D thankyou, makes some of us beginners feel a bit better about learning from auto.

JanOD
07-02-2011, 8:44am
I spent a long time in auto, using my DSLR like a point and shoot. It's a great way to get really good images with little effort. I was afraid to touch the settings, in case I couldn't figure out how to get them back to normal again. Then I joined this forum, and was encouraged to try AV - Aperture Priority. Since then, I have ventured into other things, until now I am using manual more than anything else. It's still often just guesswork... I snap, make adjustments, snap again...but I am learning.

When I have limited time to get a shot, such as a bird that is ready to fly, and there is no time to experiment, I switch it into auto. That way, I don't miss a shot because of trials and errors. But something I have noticed in the last couple of weeks is that I am often disappointed with the results in auto. It seems that they are often overexposed, or not focused on what I wanted.

I also got a new zoom lens, and have had trouble getting AV to work the same when using it. Once again, they are either overexposed, or the shutter speed is too slow and I move the camera, causing blur. Someone has suggested using the 'Exposure Compensation' for this problem, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. If I can figure that out, it'll solve the problem with overexposure, and I can go back to using AV (hopefully) for certain things, such as wildlife. Yet I am glad that I have tried manual now, and have learned about using it.

There are so many things to learn in photography! I think most often it depends on the person behind the camera - and what they are comfortable with - that makes the most difference. If auto works the best for you right now, then by all means, it's the way to go most of the time, for now. But I would suggest that when opportunity arises, and you have time to play with settings, give semi-auto and manual a try. Take one shot in auto, (to insure a great shot) then move into other settings, just to get to know your camera, and see what results you can get. It's great fun, and you might be surprised with the results, and what you learn by doing it.

At least that's the way it's working for me. Hope this helps. : )

strictfunctor
07-02-2011, 11:54pm
Full auto mode definitely has it's place, and that place is getting bigger.

When you try a new camera, prove it works and it's image quality is good with it's full auto mode.

I agree that after that, the fully manual mode is the best mode to use next. It's the simplest mode, and the easiest to use to build the model in your head as to how exposure is contributed to by the 3 basic parameters (ISO, aperture, shutter speed). The most useful tool is the histogram. It must be learned early. The priority modes are the next step, introducing the convenience of allowing the camera to make limited decisions *after* you've made the important ones. The next step is to use exposure compensation, after it's realised that the camera can't really be trusted with even one parameter.

Back to full auto... I bought a Canon S90 and didn't even bother with full auto, because I bought it because it has all the usual manual and priority modes. I've lent it to my elderly mother, who's about to go on a big trip, to see if it would work better for her than an IXUS. I'm now stunned how good full auto is. It automatically selects macro mode, face recognition, and fill flash, significantly upping the rate at which she's getting good snaps.

How well the full auto mode works really is a good discriminator to select between cameras.