PDA

View Full Version : 5D vs 5D Mark II

mercho
25-05-2010, 8:33am
Hey Guys,

Did a bit of a search on the topic and couldn't really find anything so here goes...

I am after a bit of advice from AP members, I know there are a lot of people on the forum that have upgraded from a 5d to a 5D Mark II, and I wanted to get some opinions..

I have seriously been considering upgrading to a 5D MKII (feel free to talk me out of it! ;)) or a 5D Mk1. I really want a full frame body..

I currently have a 50D, 17-40, 24-70 and 100mm macro, all EF lenses (as I have planned to eventually go FF), and I have been considering buying an UWA in place of my 17-40, however I would also like better ISO performance. I have found anywhere over 400iso on the 50D is pretty bad, and I have heard the 5D's are a lot better (especially the MKII)...
Hence rather than buying a new lens, i thought I may as well make the jump to FF if that make sense, from what i can see there are a lot of benefits?

My question is, do you guys think I am better off going straight to the 5D MKII, or will I notice an improvement (mainly ISO) with just the MK1. Which ever way I go I plan on keeping the 50D as a backup body... Or do you think I should just forget it and keep the 50D?

Sorry I know this topic comes up a fair bit, but just wanted to get some opinions :)

Sorry if this is all over the place as well, its too early ;)

Cheers

coolie21
25-05-2010, 9:19am
Go straight to mkii. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Seriously, it is worth it for the iso performance (fantastic), for live view (could not now live without it for on tripod focussing) and for video ( I believe - haven't done much with it myself yet)

mercho
25-05-2010, 9:41am
Go straight to mkii. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Seriously, it is worth it for the iso performance (fantastic), for live view (could not now live without it for on tripod focussing) and for video ( I believe - haven't done much with it myself yet)

haha yeah my bank account will hate me though :o

But I agree, the MKII does seem like a hell of a lot better camera. In saying that the video functionality is something I really don't need...

Jules
25-05-2010, 10:14am
I've been giving this quite a lot of thought lately Brad and I'm going to go straight to the MkII, precisely for the reasons Alan outlined above. I need clean high ISO for the shooting I'm doing and I'll be using ISO 3200+ quite a lot, so the MkII has the edge there. I also want the extra MP and the video functionality of the MkII, and I really wouldn't want to give up Live View.

It all depends on your style of shooting though - do you need really high ISO, or just clean ISO in the 400-1600 range? Do you want/need Live View? Do you want the extra MP of the Mk II? The 5D is apparently a gorgeous camera and would be a considerable upgrade on the 50D, so I guess you just need to decide if you need the extra functionality of the MkII.

I guess another element would be that if you get the original 5D, there'd be some money left over for new glass...

mercho
25-05-2010, 10:22am
I've been giving this quite a lot of thought lately Brad and I'm going to go straight to the MkII, precisely for the reasons Alan outlined above. I need clean high ISO for the shooting I'm doing and I'll be using ISO 3200+ quite a lot, so the MkII has the edge there. I also want the extra MP and the video functionality of the MkII, and I really wouldn't want to give up Live View.

It all depends on your style of shooting though - do you need really high ISO, or just clean ISO in the 400-1600 range? Do you want/need Live View? Do you want the extra MP of the Mk II? The 5D is apparently a gorgeous camera and would be a considerable upgrade on the 50D, so I guess you just need to decide if you need the extra functionality of the MkII.

I guess another element would be that if you get the original 5D, there'd be some money left over for new glass...

Yeah some good points Jules!

I am really after clean ISO in the 400-1600 range, is the 5D Mk1 that much less superior in that range than the mk2? Live view would also be something that I would miss after having it on the 50D, good in tricky situations..

Decisions...

Wayne
25-05-2010, 10:59am
I wouldn't buy the now old tech in the MKi.

do a bit of future proofing if you are going to spend the beans. I haven't looked but what is the price difference between a used MKi (assuming you don't know where to get a new one these days) and a used/new MKII?

James T
25-05-2010, 11:34am
If you're not shooting video or at 3200+ ISO all the time, then the 5D classic will do you proud. I still shoot with one every day alongside my 1D mk IV. I'd take one over two 50Ds any day.

With the price of the mk II now though, you may as well just go for it if you have the cash. It's a seriously good buy.

Bear in mind if you go for the mk II, the files are huge. You need some serious computing power for it not to drive you round the bend trying to process them. It takes me noticeably longer to get through a set when I've borrowed a mk II, just waiting for my Mac to churn through the images.

Jules
25-05-2010, 11:42am
...Bear in mind if you go for the mk II, the files are huge. You need some serious computing power for it not to drive you round the bend trying to process them. It takes me noticeably longer to get through a set when I've borrowed a mk II, just waiting for my Mac to churn through the images.

James make a good point there. Depending what your setup is at present, you might also need to factor in some computer upgrades as well as the cost of the new MkII.

mercho
25-05-2010, 12:47pm
Yeah good points, i have a fair bit of Pc power/storage so that's not an issue... What's the classic like at 1600? Really torn at the momnt, and I dont want to be double upgrading lol

mercho
25-05-2010, 12:56pm
Yeah good points, i have a fair bit of Pc power/storage so that's not an issue... What's the classic like at 1600? Really torn at the momnt, and I dont want to be double upgrading lol

JM Tran
25-05-2010, 1:04pm
You will be fine regarding power of your desktop unless you are using a laptop. Even though the files are larger, processing time isnt that much longer - theyre not 300mb TIFF files so its alright. You honestly dont need serious PC or Mac power - Ive got a 3 yr old comp here, 2 gigs of ram, duo core, and some older components. The difference between my 1DsMKII files and 5DMKII file processing times on Lightroom is not that much noticeable between the 2. Unless I open them up in ACR for CS4 then it drags on a bit longer, due to it being a ram hungry hog.

Re. ISO you will notice a big diff at 1600 between the MKII and classic. The MKII high ISO is more smoother and has less chroma noise also. Another point is that the classic is sharper right out of the camera - due to having a weak AA filter, that and the original 1Ds produces some of the sharpest photos with the right lenses for Canon due to having the weakest AA filters.

DAdeGroot
25-05-2010, 1:11pm
I went through that last year and opted for the 5d MkII. You'll have buckleys finding a new MkI these days.

Although video may not be something you think you'll need, it is very handy to have it available.

wattsgallery
25-05-2010, 2:57pm
Agree with Dave. I spent a while looking for a really good 5D classic but they are rare and people know they are worth a bit which narrows the gap enough on a new 5DII.

mercho
25-05-2010, 3:16pm
Thanks for the info guys, might have to be a 5D MKII if the bank allows it :P

chrisprendergast
25-05-2010, 4:48pm
5dmkII for sure i have one, i also had a 1dsmkII which could also be a option ? if ur not shooting video or using high iso i was happy with the image quality of the 1dsmk2, others on here may disagree but hey :)

nisstrust
25-05-2010, 5:00pm
I like the sound of the 5D classic's shutter, does that count? :D

Regnis
25-05-2010, 5:22pm
this looks new.... is flee-bay though.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CANON-EOS-5D-MARK-DSLR-BODY-BRAND-NEW-UNOPENED-/180511428990?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Digital_Cameras&hash=item2a0751d17e

Brian500au
25-05-2010, 6:41pm
Have you considered the 1DsMKII - be careful - once the 1 series bug bites you there is no going back. There as some seriously good deals going on the 1DsMKII at the moment. Just remember there is a bit of extra weight in these cameras so it may come down to what you use it for.

bort
25-05-2010, 7:28pm
I spent a while looking for a really good 5D classic but they are rare and people know they are worth a bit which narrows the gap enough on a new 5DII.

I was looking (impatiently...) for a 5d classic, by the time I bought it, I could have spent a little extra and got the mark 2.

Didnt need video (got a 7d for that if I wanted to use it)

darylcheshire
25-05-2010, 11:14pm
I have both and on the 5D MkII I like the way ISO (set to automatic) will rise if the light level falls. Good for those f/5.6 telephotos.
It also has the feature where highlights and lowlights can be evened out. I found it subtle but I need to explore that further.
I seldom use the movie feature and didn't get it for that.
If you don't want the large file size, select a smaller image or more compression.
It also has the cleaning feature whereas the old 5D doesn't. I read the old 5D is notorious for dust but I've been careful and I don't think I've had too many dust issues. (haven't checked recently, nothing obvious)
The old 5D has the Digic3 and the MkII has the Digic4. I think the 7D has two Digic4 processors. I haven't noticed anything between the two except the Mk II has face recognition etc.

Daryl.

James T
25-05-2010, 11:38pm
I...
The old 5D has the Digic3 and the MkII has the Digic4. I think the 7D has two Digic4 processors. I haven't noticed anything between the two except the Mk II has face recognition etc.

Daryl.

5D classic is Digic II. :)

mercho
26-05-2010, 8:38am
Cheers thanks for all the info guys, good to hear peoples experiences and opinions!

R1titan
26-05-2010, 2:07pm
Good thread here :)

I've recently upgraded from a 5D to a 5D2, and agree with most of the points above.
The 5D2 is definitely a more usuable body, the high ISO performance is good as are the upgraded features such as larger LCD, microfocus adjustments, live view etc.

However, i still really like the way the Digic II renders images from the 5D....they just seem more contrasty and sharper. The images are definitely cleaner up to about 640 ISO too.
I agree with Nisstrust about the shutter sound too, i miss that crisper sounding shutter sound.
I really regret selling off my 5D classic and im even seeking to find another one if a good deal eventuates...

gh0st
26-05-2010, 2:42pm
I had 50D, sold it and upgraded to 5D II, very happy - the only thing I am missing very rarely is the crop factor for the long lenses (you can still crop on 5D II but pixel wise is not the same). I have 200mm, which on crop factor becomes 320mm, plus 1.4x converter is mighty 450mm. On my 5D II even with the converter is 280mm, quite a difference for these long shots.

mercho
27-05-2010, 5:01pm
Thanks guys, the crop factor isn't an issue because I will keep the 50D as a backup... ISO performance is really what I am after, Im tempted to get a new 5DMKII...

JM Tran
27-05-2010, 5:07pm
Thanks guys, the crop factor isn't an issue because I will keep the 50D as a backup... ISO performance is really what I am after, Im tempted to get a new 5DMKII...

wait until end of June for the end of financial yr sales mate, always heaps of good offers, if u are after Aus retail stock that is. Otherwise, grey import will always be cheaper

mercho
27-05-2010, 5:09pm
wait until end of June for the end of financial yr sales mate, always heaps of good offers, if u are after Aus retail stock that is. Otherwise, grey import will always be cheaper

Thanks Jackie, I think I prob will. Yeah I want Aus stock and a bit of local warranty :)

I @ M
27-05-2010, 5:15pm
Bluddy hell Brad, haven't you bought one yet? :D

You know you want it.
You know they are a damn good camera.
You are young and well over paid.
Think of the photos you could have taken in the 2 days this thread has been running. :p

mercho
27-05-2010, 5:20pm
haha your not helping my financial situation Andrew!! ;)

I spend to much money on motorbikes, Ill be in debt until im 500yrs old! But i do want one, ill see what the bank has to say ;)

Sheila Smart
28-05-2010, 12:49pm
Another vote for the 5DII. The one main reason is that you can crop to an inch of its life without too much loss of resolution. 21MP is a lot to play with. I had the 5D for a couple of years but the 5DII is far better IMHO.

Sheila

mercho
28-05-2010, 1:26pm
Another vote for the 5DII. The one main reason is that you can crop to an inch of its life without too much loss of resolution. 21MP is a lot to play with. I had the 5D for a couple of years but the 5DII is far better IMHO.

Sheila

Thanks Sheila, quick question regarding your set up. How do you find the 24-70 vs the 100mm 2.8 in relation to portraits on the FF?

I have also been thinking if I get a FF camera, I was thinking of selling the 100mm 2.8 and getting a better portrait lens, like a 70-200 2.8 or something..

Arghh there is so much gear i want :confused013 ;)

Jules
28-05-2010, 2:17pm
Well I guess I should mention that as of last night, I am the proud new owner of a 5D MkII (thank you most wonderful husband!). Less than 24 hours in and I love it already. Brad - go for it!!

mercho
28-05-2010, 2:18pm
Well I guess I should mention that as of last night, I am the proud new owner of a 5D MkII (thank you most wonderful husband!). Less than 24 hours in and I love it already. Brad - go for it!!

haha Wicked! Will be good to see some shots posted with it Jules!! Let us know how it goes...

mrDooba
28-05-2010, 8:31pm
If ISO performance is what your after you will be totally and completely blown away by the 5DmkII.
I'm still amazed with IQ of the photos I come home with. Even after cropping them(birds).
If the light is low I'll use ISO 1600 if I have to and I'll still get great quality images. ISO 800 and I can crop by like 100%. I never use NR in PP, never needed to.

You'll love it so much you'll take it to bed with you and hold it ever so tight. Well I do!!:cool:

mercho
29-05-2010, 10:20am
You'll love it so much you'll take it to bed with you and hold it ever so tight. Well I do!!:cool:

Excellent! It can double as a replacement to the misuses... Just kidding Jess ;)

In all seriousness I have been persuaded to get the MKII, just need to wrangle some Johnny to buy it with!

Suzyanneau
29-05-2010, 10:39am
We have had our Canon Finance approved and have a 10 day quote for a 5D mark II and a few lenses. Our supplier tells me that Canon had a price drop on the 5D yesterday. I guess they will announce this at PMA.

Sheila Smart
29-05-2010, 11:36am
Thanks Sheila, quick question regarding your set up. How do you find the 24-70 vs the 100mm 2.8 in relation to portraits on the FF?

I have also been thinking if I get a FF camera, I was thinking of selling the 100mm 2.8 and getting a better portrait lens, like a 70-200 2.8 or something..

Arghh there is so much gear i want :confused013 ;)

I have rarely used the 100 f/2.8 as a portrait lens. I use it more for catching the wildlife on our veranda. The 24-70 is more or less my "walkabout" (although I don't like that term!) lens and is rarely off my 5DII but again, I rarely use it for portraits per se. Of course, if you really want the very best "portrait" lens, you cannot go past the Canon 135 f/2 L. It has to be Canon's best but as a prime, is fairly restrictive in its uses. It is a lens which is the only one that has scored 10/10 in a review (which I cannot recall at the moment). It is rated extremely high at Fred Miranda's review section. I bought mine from a friend about seven years ago and it has been a superb lens. I have found that the 70-200 f/4 L IS to be an excellent portrait lens. This shot I sold to National Geo Traveler magazine

http://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting-data//500/279294784301_tN0znrPk_Waynedidgeplayerweb.jpg

Cheers
Sheila

Xenedis
29-05-2010, 11:59am
I've shot with a 5D since 2006, and a few weeks ago upgraded to the 5D Mark II out of necessity.

Having owned both 5D models, the current model offers some nice improvements over the original, such as higher resolution, some weather sealing, DiG!C 4, live view, sensor cleaning and HD video mode, not to mention a much nicer LCD screen, and a separate focus button which allows you to separate metering from focusing (via the shutter release) if you're a focus-and-recompose shooter.

Traditionally I've never been excited by sensor cleaning, live view and video, but they do have their uses, and while I wouldn't buy a camera specifically to get those features, I lose nothing by having them.

They seem to be standard these days.

As far as low-light performance, I don't think you'd by disappointed by either. Having said that, ironically I am a low-ISO shooter; but when I need the high ISOs, it's good to have a camera which can deliver.

I'm sure a Mark III is on the way, but for what I do, having the latest technology isn't necessary, and just as my 5D had a lot of life in her and brought me many pleasing images, so, too, will my new 5D Mark II.

Naturally I haven't had enough time behind the 5D Mark II to compare it to its predecessor, but I'd expect its performance to be superior.

Xenedis
29-05-2010, 3:31pm
Mercho,

If you haven't read Bryan Cathathan's review of the 5D Mark II, I'd encourage you to do. It covers a lot of ground and indicates that the 5D Mark II superior to its predecessor both in resolution (which we knew) and noise.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-DSLR-Digital-Camera-Review.aspx

mercho
29-05-2010, 6:37pm
Sheila thats a great shot! I have fone a bit of reading on the 135mm and it looks like a great prime! Fairly well priced too..

Xenedis, thanks for the info! I skimmed over the review and it has a very in depth comparison! Looks good! I have pretty much made my mind up to put in the extra $ and go the MKII, hopefully that price drop comes soon ;)

Xenedis
29-05-2010, 7:07pm
I have fone a bit of reading on the 135mm and it looks like a great prime! Fairly well priced too..

The 135/2L is a stellar lens. I've had mine since 2006.

It is one of the most inexpensive L lenses you can get, but its performance and IQ is first-rate. Ridiculously sharp, extremely fast to focus, and delivers very creamy bokeh. IMO and IME, it's a must-have.

Xenedis, thanks for the info! I skimmed over the review and it has a very in depth comparison! Looks good! I have pretty much made my mind up to put in the extra $ and go the MKII, hopefully that price drop comes soon ;)

I just got mine two weeks ago, and paid marginally over $3K from a large B&M. There had better not be a price decrease. :-)

finn
31-05-2010, 12:32pm
For what its worth:

Another point to consider is if you need 21MP (Mark II) as opposed to the 13MP (Mark I) ?

I have the 5D (Mark I) and find that 13MP is fine. I have an iso800 image I have printed up to A3 size and can't notice any noise/pixelation. Do you need photos printed larger than A3 size ?

SirNobicus
31-05-2010, 1:31pm
I got a mark I in august last year, impulse buy from 2nd hand section of the local camera store and loved it that much went out and bought another.

at this point in time I really couldn't justify the addition spend. I have been able to blow up to A3 with no noticeable grain (ISO 400). With the low light shots there is no comparison between the 30d that it was replacing.

coolie21
01-06-2010, 8:00am
For what its worth:

Another point to consider is if you need 21MP (Mark II) as opposed to the 13MP (Mark I) ?

One of the points re the 21MP is the ability to crop and still have a reasonable image. I think Sheila made this point above but here is a real world example
from last week:
whole frame -
http://www.cumbrianspaceman.com/Photography/Night/MG4225/885074067_5Sr3B-M.jpg

crop from whole frame -

http://www.cumbrianspaceman.com/Photography/Night/moon/885074004_wRGqN-M.jpg

Annalah
24-06-2010, 11:09am
I too have been thinking of buying 5d mark II! Sounds like a great Idea!
I am sure gonna see the difference between my outdated 6MP Pentax & mark II's 21.1MPs.

Thanks everyone for the advice.