PDA

View Full Version : colors, calibration, saturation

reaction
24-05-2010, 10:59pm
I use Huey Pro for calibration. I have a notebook and 2 desktop LCDs. This is what I found.

When calibration is done, the desktop LCDs look similar. The notebook looks a bit dull. However calibration didn't note any errors or issues.

On the notebook, the Nvidia panel allows a 'digital vibrance' setting. If I change this, saturation is noticibly changed. If I randomly change this value, rerun the calibration, the saturation is not returned to the old setting. :confused013

Thus, I could by comparing identical pics, choose a digital vibrance setting so that the notebook matches the desktop LCDs. Then I run a final calibration and it all looks the same.

But then, how do I know the desktop LCDs are right? Since it doesn't have a digital vibrance, and the calibration doesn't seem to detect a difference?

ricktas
25-05-2010, 7:26am
I am not familiar with use of the Huey. However, have you tried checking the Huey site for software updates? I know that colorvision have provided updates for the spyder software over the years and sometimes these updates are the answer to your problems.

mercho
25-05-2010, 8:19am
I'd disable/uninstall the Nvidia Software (NOT the driver), as it sounds it maybe over-riding the profile the Huey sets?

Dunno, only a suggestion as I haven't used a huey either but might be worth a shot?

arthurking83
25-05-2010, 7:18pm
Highly dependent on the brand of screens(or lappy) in question.. I'd be more inclined to believe the desktop screens.

Also use the histogram of any decently exposed image to guide you as well.
That is, look for blacks, and whites, under and over exposed parts of an image too.

if you're histogram says that the image has blown highlights or shadows and you see them differently on the screen, then the chances are that the screen is lying!

Otherwise only a properly printed version of the image will show you which screen to believe.

Also, viewing angle(tilt) will have an impact on how dark or bright an image will look.
I have two screens(connected to the same PC) at the same tilt angle they look totally different(but calibrated). If I tilt the(older tech) HP screen downwards they subsequently look the same.
Problem is that it;s bascially pointed downwards too far and harder to read. So, the HP screen has way too much contrast compared to the LG screen I also use, but after verifying the calibration process 3 times, the black and white point as supposedly correctly set.
But upon viewing and image with very little pure black in it, the HP screen looks darker, rendering a more black looking black, so I don't trust it!
(it will eventually make way for a much higher quality, and therefore a more accurately calibrated, screen..... one day :confused013 ... soon! :th3:)

At the bottom edge of my sig, is a step wedge bar. Can you see each individual block and the difference in tones between each adjacent step? Apparently!! that's the minimum tonal graduation range you should be looking to achieve with your monitor.(but you have a calibrator which is more accurate anyhow).

reaction
25-05-2010, 7:35pm
in your sig, on note, I can 'just' make out A-B and Y-Z

I can read a histogram, but I don't know how to judge saturation. Apart from extremes, it's hard to see the tone curve even comparing sidebyside

the Nvidia Software is needed to give it any type of saturation, as the 'default' is just way too bland. The only thing I worry is it has a gamma setting of 1. That part may be conflicting the huey's one?

The software is the latest, it's not been updated for a while tho.

arthurking83
25-05-2010, 8:40pm
Gamma 1??

Are you using Windows or Mac?

Windows should be 2.2... and I have no experience with Mac, but I think it's supposed to be 1.8 :confused013

reaction
26-05-2010, 10:57am
WinXP. Nvidia Software is Gamma 1. Huey Software is Gamma 2.2
Don't know if one is affecting the other... Maybe I should get a color chart in jpg and try to match the LCDs.

Got a reply for Huey, they say Huey can't match LCDs to each other, and to turn off all driver Software as it may interfere. Of course, this would make my laptop dull, and everyone would see my pics super saturated with red faces etc, so doesn't help.

mercho
26-05-2010, 1:14pm
WinXP. Nvidia Software is Gamma 1. Huey Software is Gamma 2.2
Don't know if one is affecting the other... Maybe I should get a color chart in jpg and try to match the LCDs.

Got a reply for Huey, they say Huey can't match LCDs to each other, and to turn off all driver Software as it may interfere. Of course, this would make my laptop dull, and everyone would see my pics super saturated with red faces etc, so doesn't help.

Can you change the gama in NVidia to 2.2?

EDIT: I think you should just disable the nvidia manager, its probably trying to do its own calibrating..

Kym
26-05-2010, 1:47pm
I use a Huey pro and all my monitors are now very close.

nVidia control panel
Display >> Adjust Desktop Color Settings >>
'Other applications control color settings'
- make sure that's on.

reaction
26-05-2010, 6:49pm
Can you change the gama in NVidia to 2.2?

EDIT: I think you should just disable the nvidia manager, its probably trying to do its own calibrating..

I can, then it goes too bright, everything else needs to be taken way down...

mercho
26-05-2010, 7:27pm
I can, then it goes too bright, everything else needs to be taken way down...

Even after recalibrating at that setting?

arthurking83
26-05-2010, 11:12pm
Another thing to check out too...

Check for software updates.

I admit that I use a Spyder3(Elite version) and I was lolling about in the mire with the original software V3point something) for a while and even though calibration was in effect quite easy, it was variable and made a difference between two monitors(on the same PC).
I checked for a software update and they've(DataColor) have released a v4 of the Elite software(dunno about the Pro version??).
Because I bought mine this year the update was free (yay!) and more importantly the software is much more user friendly and accurate(accurate in a screen to screen basis, have no idea on how accurate it is in real sense).

Sorry I can't help with your Huey calibration.. but if you're using a Sypder.. check for software updates, and get them.. even if you have to pay for it.. worth the expense/effort from what I've seen so far).