PDA

View Full Version : Canon software & Vista Problem ? ?

astronobob
24-05-2010, 1:49pm
Howdy AP members, I have recently purchased A new Desktop PC Running Vista instead of XP which is fine But After installing tha Canon 400D's software, EOS, Zoombrowser and Photoprofessional programs, I'm having problems uploading photos from the 400d with the EOS facility. and it come up with a message stating "Does Not Recognise the Camera"

I can upload them through windows, doing the copy and Paste thing which is a little more work but the EOs problem simply shouldnt be there , , I cant now just upload ''new images'' from the camera which also automatically made new folders for each days take through the EOS system ? ?
I sent to Canon Cameras the problem and they suggest it may be a Firewall or protection setting - well, I found the Firewall wasnt even on ? and I'm not real sure on the other protection settings ?
Has anyone come across this behaviour before and / or is there a sollution to it ? ?

Much appreciation in advance , , Rgrds Bob .

Roof
24-05-2010, 4:08pm
Hey Rob, Not sure if this is going to make the solution easier for ya, `but when i bought my computer it had vista installed on it, after i've set up everything nothing wanted to work, so what i did was the following FORMAT C:\ and started from scratch from that moment EVERYTHING did really work but because i couldn't stand vista i went to the shop on the 22nd of october and bought windows 7 did a format again and installed windows 7 and now i didn't have any problems anymore.

But with your problem it could be that you need to update drivers for your camera and what i also think you should try is different usb ports, sounds studip i know but it could work...

hope one of these idea's work for ya.

`i'd go with the first one

good luck

Jorge Arguello
24-05-2010, 4:13pm
Hello Astronobob:

I have exactly the same problem (it might be Win Vista). I haven’t fix it yet. When I need to download pictures I start the camera application manually and select the option to download the pictures. This helps me (at least) naming the pictures with the settings (date and project name) and creating the folder that I need rather than the default numbers from the camera.

I know that this does not solve the issue but it might be faster than copying them.

OzzieTraveller
24-05-2010, 4:33pm
G'day AstroBob

I have heard too many negative reports about Vista and its incompatibilites to recommend it to anyone
All I can offer is the suggestion to go to Win-7 ... it seems as good as XP and has all the new bits without the Vista bad bits

Regards, Phil

LJG
24-05-2010, 6:22pm
Yep, as Ozzie Traveller says. I brough my desktop with Vista, upgraded to windows7 and all the problems simply dissapeared.

Astroman
24-05-2010, 6:26pm
I must be a rare breed, I run Vista, I also have a Canon, to boot I have a 400D, and don't have any problems. I know it's no help to you but just thought I would mention it's not happening to everyone that runs Vista and Canon software.

darylcheshire
24-05-2010, 9:45pm
on my old 5D I could not run EOS Utility. I set the camera to Printer/PTP mode and use it like a USB flash drive and copy files with Explorer.

This problem persisted regardless of firmware and OS, I had the problem with Vista and WIn7.

I couldn't even use the remote camera utility

The 5D MkII worked perfectly with EOS Utility.

So, an excuse to upgrade eh?

Daryl.

beaco
24-05-2010, 11:03pm
Try running the application as an administrator. It might help.

http://www.geekswhoknow.com/articles/windows_vista_run_as_administrator.htm

gcflora
25-05-2010, 6:25am
Is it Vista 64? If so, see this thread: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=670012 and in particular message #6 and then install the eos utility update. From memory I had to do this for Windows 7 64-bit, so it's probably the same for Vista

Karl
25-05-2010, 7:17am
I have a laptop with Vista and for both my 450D and Ricoh GX 100 I can not download photos directly from the cameras - I have to use the laptop card reader for both and then use Vistas import facility.

Bit of a pain but I am used to it now.

Karl