PDA

View Full Version : Is the D90 dead??

Mr Lensbaby
24-05-2010, 7:45am
I see their is a $200 cash back on the D90 in the past this was the start of the lead up to a replacement of a camera in that series

Any clues when the D90 "s" or what ever its name will be released

What upgrades do you think it will have ??? video with video auto-focus???

I @ M
24-05-2010, 8:24am
Plenty of speculation about the replacement for the D90 and the D700 ($200.00 cash back on it as well) but the only thing is for sure is that we will all know what the specs are when they are released by Nikon. :D

I reckon I can safely predict that the replacement will offer new features and retail at a higher initial shelf price than the model it replaces. :p

Wayne
24-05-2010, 8:57am
I could be tempted to lose my D3(I hardly use it) if the D700(I already have one) replacement has even better ISO performance and a faster frame rate than the current one. HD video like the D3s would be a bonus!

maccaroneski
24-05-2010, 9:42am
I don't know if the $200 cashback can be seen as evidence of anything - I think that is a mechanism to drop the price in certain markets as a result of the weak American dollar without eroding the "retail" price. I bought my D90 about 8 months ago, and there was a $200 cashback on then as well.

aurora
24-05-2010, 10:07am
HI maccaroneski, I just bought the D90 and am learning to use p mode. What is your all round general lens from your collection?

Kym
24-05-2010, 10:10am
It will be replaced by a D100 :p

maccaroneski
24-05-2010, 10:48am
HI maccaroneski, I just bought the D90 and am learning to use p mode. What is your all round general lens from your collection?

Aurora,

Generally speaking, budget will determine everything :). I'm not sure what lenses you currently have?

However I really like the Tamron 17-50: it is reasonably cheap (I paid about $750, and the equivalent Nikon is about $1500), it is a fixed 2.8 aperture, very sharp, and has Vibration compensation (Tamron speak for VR, Vibration Reduction).

If you are on a budget, I would go for a Nikon 35mm 1.8 (for a couple of hundred dollars). You will keep it in your kit forever, it has a very wide maximum aperture, and has long been the sort of lens that is recommended to beginners.

As far as general advice goes - get into the learning plans in the New to Photography section here, and get the camera off P mode! :)

Mr Lensbaby
24-05-2010, 12:38pm

Best bang for bucks lens would have to be the 18 - 70

Ronnysimulacrum
24-05-2010, 12:44pm
It will be replaced by a D100 :p

hahahaha or a D100s:lol:

kiwi
24-05-2010, 1:16pm
Aurora,

Generally speaking, budget will determine everything :). I'm not sure what lenses you currently have?

However I really like the Tamron 17-50: it is reasonably cheap (I paid about $750, and the equivalent Nikon is about $1500), it is a fixed 2.8 aperture, very sharp, and has Vibration compensation (Tamron speak for VR, Vibration Reduction).

If you are on a budget, I would go for a Nikon 35mm 1.8 (for a couple of hundred dollars). You will keep it in your kit forever, it has a very wide maximum aperture, and has long been the sort of lens that is recommended to beginners.

As far as general advice goes - get into the learning plans in the New to Photography section here, and get the camera off P mode! :)

Nothing at all wrong with using P mode - if you know why

campo
24-05-2010, 1:23pm
Nothing at all wrong with using P mode - if you know why

exactly...i know a few pros who use P mode and they earn a truckload of money doing so :)

Gluggy
24-05-2010, 8:43pm
lost track of the thread there for a bit...I can't wait for th replacements for the D90 and D700 tp come in, it will mean there will be a flood of for sales on here and ebay of perfectly good cameras (D90's and 700s) which I'll gladly take off their hands. I'll take a 700 and demote my 5000 to my second camera and I'm set. There's nothing wrong with either models and very solid upgrades for us newbies to Nikon gear... Can't wait.

peterb666
24-05-2010, 10:33pm
It has been on the market for quite a long time. There were rumours that Nikon were going to drop the D90 and just make do with a D700 replacement for use with the old camera driven AF lenses. This would sadden many Nikon owners with collections of old glass.

At the moment, the D90 is at bargain prices and if you can add a $200 cashback on top of that, grab one before they are gone.

cafezeenuts
25-05-2010, 10:12am
Looking around the internet the D90 replacement is a hot topic atm, i think nikon will release them towards end of the year. I have a D90 and its a great camera. Most people will eventually upgrade to full frame sooner or later if they are committed to this hobby. Unless its a full frame i don't get what the fuss is all about.

Wayne
25-05-2010, 10:54am
lost track of the thread there for a bit...I can't wait for th replacements for the D90 and D700 tp come in, it will mean there will be a flood of for sales on here and ebay of perfectly good cameras (D90's and 700s) which I'll gladly take off their hands. I'll take a 700 and demote my 5000 to my second camera and I'm set. There's nothing wrong with either models and very solid upgrades for us newbies to Nikon gear... Can't wait.

Sadly for people like yourself looking for bargain used D700's, I think it will still be some time before they are going cheap. They don't lose a great deal of value even once superseded, because you and many others will keep demand for them pretty high, meaning people like me who might sell one, get an excellent return on my initial purchase price.

Unless you want to carry the full size D3/s bodies about(and spend the coin accordingly), the D700 with performance almost on par with the bigger brothers makes them a desirable high ISO, FF machine for 1/2 the price.

fillum
25-05-2010, 12:48pm
Most people will eventually upgrade to full frame sooner or later if they are committed to this hobby. Unless its a full frame i don't get what the fuss is all about.

Why?

ricktas
25-05-2010, 1:09pm
D90 Dead. NO, there are lots of D90's out there that work perfectly. Obsolute soon maybe, but then all camera's end up obsolete after about 18 months to 2 years. Obsolete model doesn't make them faulty, or worthless.

ricktas
25-05-2010, 1:10pm
Most people will eventually upgrade to full frame sooner or later if they are committed to this hobby. Unless its a full frame i don't get what the fuss is all about.

I would like to know why as well? Certainly some will, but talk to bird and wildlife photographers, and the crop factor of a smaller APS-C sized sensor is a boon to them.

Edit ...Ah: *from another thread posted today also*

I'm new to photography but coming from Hi-Fi Audio background i always shoot in raw because i want the best possible digital data available. Just like in a studio recording all pros record in raw wav files and they can process them and convert to which ever format they wish later..

Sorry and with all due respect, seeing you are new to photography, I feel it worth pointing out that there is a lot to learn about photography before you can make claims like that above. So I feel it is necessary to post here, so that other members reading this thread do not take your full frame comment as correct and based on sound knowledge and a wealth of valuable experience in photography.

Calxoddity
25-05-2010, 1:27pm
After reading this thread, I now understand that my photos are not as good as they should be, because I'm still using a D40, and that was discontinued years ago.

That would explain why there was a sudden drop in image quality the day after the D40 was dropped from the model lineup.

I should no doubt keep this in mind when considering buying the D90 - imagine the embarassment of forking out for the D90 only to have its image quality fall after a couple of weeks, when its replacement arrives....

Meanwhile, I think I'll stay away from full-frame. I figure you only need the bigger pixels if you're not very good at using small ones. Cropping is for people that can't frame shots properly.

** For those with weak sarcasm filters, at least some of the above should be read in a sarcastic vein.

Regards,
Calx (actually, the D40 was probably responsible for my muffed pano shot, not the circ polariser...)

Kym
25-05-2010, 1:35pm
Most people will eventually upgrade to full frame sooner or later if they are committed to this hobby. Unless its a full frame I don't get what the fuss is all about.

Summarising Rick's post !! :Doh:

Why? This thread explains it all in regard to wildlife (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=198617).

And I could say that if your really serious about portrait, studio and landscape work then
something like the Pentax 645D 40Mp medium format is the way to go.
(For reasons in Tannin's thread above in a different scenario)

Kym
25-05-2010, 1:40pm
@Calx ... the CPL is still the real reason. The D40 is a good camera but at 6Mp is a bit dated.
Get yourself a D300s or a D90 ! ;)

Calxoddity
25-05-2010, 2:55pm
@Calx ... the CPL is still the real reason. The D40 is a good camera but at 6Mp is a bit dated.
Get yourself a D300s or a D90 ! ;)

Oh, silly me - the pixels are *old*, and that's why it's not as good as it used to be! :Doh: (but they're *Nikon* pixels!!)

The 300s is out of the question - my missus would recognise that it's a different camera. The D90, on the other hand, looks sufficiently similar to the D40 that I could get away with it...

Regards,
Calx

ving
25-05-2010, 3:33pm
LOL Calx, your a crackup!
I am still using the D40 too :D

BTW everyone. if you have a D300, D700, or D90 you are better off just giving it away. It's terribly outdated. Please send them all to me... If you want to want to give me one PM me and I'll give kyou my postal address.

ving
25-05-2010, 3:34pm
Ps:

go d40 power!

I @ M
25-05-2010, 3:38pm
Ps:

go d40 power!

Pffft, my D50 at least drives REAL lenses. :p

ving
25-05-2010, 3:51pm
real, old lenses! :p

Calxoddity
25-05-2010, 4:00pm
Pffft, my D50 at least drives REAL lenses. :p

Huh? with such old pixels, it's a wonder you can see anything. Mind you, being able to take sepia-effect photos straight out of the camera might be beneficial in some circumstances...

Regards,
Calx

I @ M
25-05-2010, 4:19pm
Huh? with such old pixels, it's a wonder you can see anything.

Yeah I know, I am sure I am starting to see gaps in between the pixels on 12x18 prints these days.
Can you get new pixels from ebay or somewhere like that?

Anyway, back to the original topic, the present D90 is a bloody good camera and even if it became superceded in 15 minutes time, one bought today at a bargain price is still going to be taking excellent photos in 5 or 10 years time.

That is a fact.

cafezeenuts
25-05-2010, 4:24pm
I would like to know why as well? Certainly some will, but talk to bird and wildlife photographers, and the crop factor of a smaller APS-C sized sensor is a boon to them.

Summarising Rick's post !! :Doh:

Why? This thread explains it all in regard to wildlife (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=198617).

And I could say that if your really serious about portrait, studio and landscape work then
something like the Pentax 645D 40Mp medium format is the way to go.
(For reasons in Tannin's thread above in a different scenario)

Here is what i wrote earlier

"Most people will eventually upgrade to full frame sooner or later if they are committed to this hobby."

That's why i said "most people" the keyword here, i didn't say "everyone" will upgrade to full frame. I believe i cover myself quite well here....

I've have a question, are you guys using full frame body yourself at the moment or thinking of upgrading to full frame??? If so, why?

And my answer to why "most people" will upgrade to full frame. It's quite simple really, it's because we're human. It's the same reason people upgrade to 1080p LCD panels from CRT, bigger house, 600cc motobike to 1000cc bikes etc etc...

Why? because we want the latest and greatest.... That's WHY....

maccaroneski
25-05-2010, 4:31pm
Change the "most" to "some" and I will agree with you.

ricktas
25-05-2010, 4:33pm
OK, going on that theory cafezeenuts, we would all be using medium format digital backs.

I use both cropped sensor and full frame bodies, both have their place and I use the best body for the job at hand. My issue with your post is that if someone else who is new to photography read it, they would assume that the only upgrade path was to full frame, when that is incorrect. We have a lot of members here who are committed to photography (much more than as a hobby) and don't use full frame sensor cameras.

I @ M
25-05-2010, 4:38pm

"Most people will eventually upgrade to full frame sooner or later if they are committed to this hobby."

And my answer to why "most people" will upgrade to full frame. It's quite simple really, it's because we're human. It's the same reason people upgrade to 1080p LCD panels from CRT, bigger house, 600cc motobike to 1000cc bikes etc etc...

Some may follow that path mate but I think that you will find that "most people committed to this hobby" think long and hard before making any decisions on camera gear and don't do it because it is the latest "fad".

Seeing as you are new here and don't know some of the history of the members and their habits I will fill in my personal details.

I don't have a TV, my last motorbike purchase was a 400+cc step down in capacity and I haven't finished building this house so I won't be upgrading any time soon. :)

Kym
25-05-2010, 4:41pm

Nah.

People downgrade homes, vehicles etc. for any number of reasons.
Explain Prius drivers? :confused013 :cool:
(They are ugly, not really that environmental (factor in CO2 in producing them) and once you get to 6 years old you have to pay $16k to buy new batteries) :p

Latest and greatest? or best for the job!
As per the link I gave ... cropped sensor are the best for wildlife, and do very well for sports.

Another example: If people wanted the latest and greatest why netbooks?
Slow, small screen, not much storage. They are (in some circumstances) convenient.

Kym
25-05-2010, 5:01pm
While we are on the subject....

Full Frame (meaning equivalent to 35mm (135) format) is a silly misnomer.

In the film days 135 format film (24×36 mm) was a step down from the 120 format film that preceded it.

120 (typically 56 × 41.5mm) is what we call medium format
(which is strange as the digital version is 44mm x 33mm)
and since when is Medium bigger than 'Full' anyway :confused013

Large format usually 4x5 and 8x10 inches (20x25 cm) and other variations. Again Large is MUCH bigger than 'Full'.

So the reality is that Full Frame is really a bit of silly marketing hype to make you spend more on cameras.

APS (C, P, and H) were also film sizes before digital.

Mr Lensbaby
25-05-2010, 5:03pm
:Doh:

What have I done :confused013 LOL

My inquiry should have been:

If this is the end of the D90 as we know and love it the same way we love our D40 and D70 for the measly saving of $200 cash back would others be willing to wait and see what the D90 replacement will be ? And what the replacement may have or not have

cafezeenuts
25-05-2010, 5:08pm
I know where you guys are coming from, maybe i should change from "most to "some". Upgrade or not its really horses for courses for most things...

As for vehicles diesel FTW and NETbooks it's Vaio X-series, or if you want more ponys the Z series 13.1 screen, i7 and under 1.5kg...

At the end of the day it comes down to cash available to burn...

ricktas
25-05-2010, 5:10pm
At the end of the day it comes down to cash available to burn...

Nup, it comes down to research and buying the best device for the job you want it to do.

I @ M
25-05-2010, 5:29pm
:Doh:

What have I done :confused013 LOL

My inquiry should have been:

If this is the end of the D90 as we know and love it the same way we love our D40 and D70 for the measly saving of $200 cash back would others be willing to wait and see what the D90 replacement will be ? And what the replacement may have or not have

What have you done?
Simply opened a topic up for discussion and certainly no harm doing that. :th3:

As for waiting to see what the D90 update has in the way of features etc. over the present model then I guess you had better wait and see what the update of the update has to offer in case you miss out on something there as well. :D

I don't think it will be the end of the D90 as we know it. It fills a role within Nikon's marketing line up that is a quite a good money earner and I really can't see them killing a model that consistently sells well just as the D80 did under the D200 and the D50 did under the D70 etc. etc.

There will probably be improvements to the design and functionality of it but as a part of the model range it will stay at much the same level as it is now. I think.

fillum
25-05-2010, 5:53pm
If this is the end of the D90 as we know and love it the same way we love our D40 and D70 for the measly saving of $200 cash back would others be willing to wait and see what the D90 replacement will be ? And what the replacement may have or not haveIf I didn't already have a camera I'd be happy to buy a D90 now, however if I was looking to upgrade I'd wait to see what the replacement offers. The cashback itself wouldn't influence my decision. I assume the cashback is only available from authorised resellers. A quick google showed a price (body only) of $1075 after cashback from an authorised reseller and a price of $995 from a grey market shopfront (with no mention of cashback).

Having said that, I don't really know what improvements they could make to the successor and keep it at a similar pricepoint and not cannibalise sales of current higher spec models. Maybe a lot of "non-core" stuff related to video, wireless uploads, etc?

Cheers

maccaroneski
25-05-2010, 6:02pm
Having said that, I don't really know what improvements they could make to the successor and keep it at a similar pricepoint and not cannibalise sales of current higher spec models. Maybe a lot of "non-core" stuff related to video, wireless uploads, etc?

An excellent question that I have pondered myself. Half an FPS in framerate? 1080p video? hardly compelling stuff. There is no significantly better sensor around to drop into it, and I would not imagine that they would put a better sensor than the D300s in there.

Calxoddity
25-05-2010, 7:51pm
okay, back at home now. Here's a D40 shot across Lake George with the Sigma 17-70 at 70mm, and a 100% crop of the wind farm in the distance.

If you look carefully, you can see where the pixels are sagging from old age. After all, there's only six mega's worth of them, so they have to work so much harder at holding hands to keep the pikkie from falling apart.

Okay - if I hadn't told you it was 6MP, would you have been any the wiser? (and they're mid-quality jpegs to get them below the size limitations).

cafezeenuts
25-05-2010, 9:27pm
Nup, it comes down to research and buying the best device for the job you want it to do.

Haha, one can never cover all the variables. A individual could do all the research they want and know the product inside out. But if the same individual don't the money to buy the product they need or want for the job, at the end of the day they have nothing but dreams....

DJT
25-05-2010, 9:32pm
okay, back at home now. Here's a D40 shot across Lake George with the Sigma 17-70 at 70mm, and a 100% crop of the wind farm in the distance.

If you look carefully, you can see where the pixels are sagging from old age.......

wow, I had better show this to my dad, as he will most likely be having the same problems with his D50. :eek: oh no his pixels will be falling off his screen having an even older camera than the D40. Have you been able to find a fix for this Calxoddity :confused013.

swifty
25-05-2010, 10:09pm
I would not imagine that they would put a better sensor than the D300s in there.

Logically it'd seem unlikely they'd put a better sensor in a lower model but if they don't cannibalise their own models, others will. Plus the D90 and D300 are on different cycles.
Ppl who appreciate what the D300s has to offer will still likely pick it over a D90 successful even if the sensor in the D90 successor turns out to be better.
If memory serves me right, didn't the D70 sensor out-do the D100 sensor when it was released?
But of course the question is what sensor does Nikon (Sony?) have ready?
Maybe some of that D3s research will migrate down the pipeline to APS-C.

Calxoddity
25-05-2010, 10:20pm
I'm working on it this very minute.

The D40 is in the oven getting the sensor up to temperature. Next I reverse mount the lens and look thru it to spot the droopy pixels, before quickly taking the lens off again and whilst the camera is still hot, poking the offending pixels into the right shape with a knitting needle. I then stabilise the pixels with a small (very small) dab of epoxy. You can also tie them off with extremely short pieces of string, but I have trouble tying off the knot.

You should not try this procedure without extensive training. I happen to be an expert in the field of nanoscale pokage - give me a call if you need assistance.

On a final note, please be aware that the D50 pixels may be beyond recovery, having drooped so far that they've swapped position with adjacent pixels. Unless you only use the D50 upside down for at least two years, you will suffer chronic adjacent pixels reversal errors. These typically show up in photos as unexpected placement of vases and banjos in otherwise mundane scenes.

Regards,
Calx

farmer_rob
25-05-2010, 10:53pm

That's why i said "most people" the keyword here, i didn't say "everyone" will upgrade to full frame. I believe i cover myself quite well here....

I've have a question, are you guys using full frame body yourself at the moment or thinking of upgrading to full frame??? If so, why?

Following your argument, people will then all go to medium format and then large format - but this isn't happening.

Most/few/being human.... It's the "committed" part that I disagree with.

Most people committed to their hobby will try to achieve the best out with it. The best in this instance is the best picture (preferably printed) - and sensor size has very little to do with it.

Bigger is not always better. The *only* advantage to full-frame cameras is an engineering one - it is easier to get lower noise and higher sensitivity (ISO) when you have more area of pixel to work with. A basic understanding of trigonometry and optics makes clear that there are NO other issues that can't be solved with the right lenses.

farmer_rob
25-05-2010, 11:05pm

The D40 is in the oven getting the sensor up to temperature. Next I reverse mount the lens and look thru it to spot the droopy pixels, before quickly taking the lens off again and whilst the camera is still hot, poking the offending pixels into the right shape with a knitting needle. I then stabilise the pixels with a small (very small) dab of epoxy. You can also tie them off with extremely short pieces of string, but I have trouble tying off the knot.

You should not try this procedure without extensive training. I happen to be an expert in the field of nanoscale pokage - give me a call if you need assistance.

On a final note, please be aware that the D50 pixels may be beyond recovery, having drooped so far that they've swapped position with adjacent pixels. Unless you only use the D50 upside down for at least two years, you will suffer chronic adjacent pixels reversal errors. These typically show up in photos as unexpected placement of vases and banjos in otherwise mundane scenes.

Regards,
Calx

Are you sure you're not seeing pixelrot (like bitrot in computers - when you have to throw the computer out after 3 years because the newer model is out ms windows has corrupted its registry you want a new computer the bits are burnt out.)

Have you thought of trying dental floss? You can really wrap it tight around the pixels, and it has a nice minty flavour for when you are tying the knots.

Anyway, the advantage of the d40x is that it has 4mp of spares to keep image standards the same as the d40. So you can rope in the extra pixels to fill out the missing ones.

farmer_rob
25-05-2010, 11:14pm
Having said that, I don't really know what improvements they could make to the successor and keep it at a similar pricepoint and not cannibalise sales of current higher spec models. Maybe a lot of "non-core" stuff related to video, wireless uploads, etc?...

The real difference in the models is build quality, weather sealing, features accessible with switches and knobs, and shutter life. I doubt that a new mid-range camera would really cannibalise the top end models in any serious way regardless of image specs. If the d90+ is superduper everything, you know that those specs will appear in a better dxxx and dx series body soon, with further enhancements. So the Dx and Dxxx market will just hang on.

DJT
25-05-2010, 11:14pm

Regards,
Calx
Awesome thanks for that. I'll tell him not to panic & there is a fix. He wont believe it when I show him how easy it is :wd:
But if we get stuck I'll call you.

peterb666
26-05-2010, 6:34am
I have a team of pixies fix my wayward pixels but have never tried it on a Nikon.

Calxoddity
26-05-2010, 8:31am
I have a team of pixies fix my wayward pixels but have never tried it on a Nikon.

now you're just being silly! :p

ving
26-05-2010, 11:36am
are you saying they are canon pixies? I think there would be a compatibility issue if you tried to use them on another brand....

on a more serious note, D40 pixel sag is a real problem! I recently took a pic of a tree stump on a dry lake bed. when i had a look there was an orange and green glass vase floating as if by magic in the air... I swear it wasnt there when i took the picture.
I can see I am going to have to try tying some cotton on my sensor to keep those pixels from dropping right off....

farmer_rob
26-05-2010, 12:33pm
Wouldn't the nikon pixies be nixies?

mcdesign
27-05-2010, 3:56pm
Best bang for bucks lens would have to be the 18 - 70

I would agree with this, it came with the D70s as a kit lens, I still have mine and it is great for Landscape work, plus a good walking around lens, Cameras Direct have it for a good price, it will do you for a long time until you decide what else you need...buying lenses is addictive! https://www.camerasdirect.com.au/index.php/lenses/for-nikon/prime-lenses/wide-angle/nikon-18-70mm-f3.5-4.5g-af-s-dx-low-stock.html.

I also had the Tamron 18-200 mm F/3.5-6.3, it was a lovely lens too, very sharp...I dropped it :( but still have it but can only use it a level angle.

Don't buy lenses at a Camera store, there are plenty of places online that are very reputable like Cameras Direct and D-D-Photographics (http://www.d-d-photographics.com/), I have bought most of my lenses there. There are others too.

campo
27-05-2010, 4:06pm
Don't buy lenses at a Camera store, there are plenty of places online that are very reputable like Cameras Direct and D-D-Photographics (http://www.d-d-photographics.com/), I have bought most of my lenses there. There are others too.

There's nothing wrong with a camera store and it's not hard to find one that'll match the best prices you can get online for a reputable Australian (non-gray-market) product.

Once you're gone through a warranty repair with an online seller, having to package everything up, spend a fortune on registered/insured post and wait for months you realise where those few extra dollars may have been better spent (ie. with a local dealer who'll look after this hassle for you, if not help you out with a loan item etc)

dowden photography
27-05-2010, 4:45pm
work says its still got a little while to go.

The cash back thing is done because they only get about 60% of people doing it.
Its better than dropping the price by $200.

The D700 started last week or so, the D90 finished the end of the month

Wayne
27-05-2010, 4:47pm
There's nothing wrong with a camera store and it's not hard to find one that'll match the best prices you can get online for a reputable Australian (non-gray-market) product.

Once you're gone through a warranty repair with an online seller, having to package everything up, spend a fortune on registered/insured post and wait for months you realise where those few extra dollars may have been better spent (ie. with a local dealer who'll look after this hassle for you, if not help you out with a loan item etc)

Well and good if you live anywhere near a camera store, and I would say that the retail of OZ market items in many cases will be somewhat more expensive than grey or online, and that saving often offsets the cost of returning the item to an online seller or warranty place.

I don't live within 900km of a camera store, and I calculate I have saved several thousand $$ in buying every piece of camera gear ($20K worth) I own from O/S in the past 12 months, and I have had 1 small warranty issue and sent the item back to USA at a total cost of $70 postage for the return journey. The key here is to buy from reputable online sellers, not the cheapest, most obscure seller you find.

Mr Lensbaby
29-05-2010, 1:44pm
Looks like the $200 rebate finishes very soon their is a $200 rebate on the D700 as well :rolleyes:

Watchamacallit
02-06-2010, 12:34pm
Appears Nikon have extended their rebate, so it looks like a near end-of-year update could be possible (or maybe pushed back to clear stock?)

http://www.nikon.com.au/pagearticle.php?pageid=243-e3ed3e297e

A quick summary if you don't want to click through:
D3000/D5000/D90 extended to 31st August, 2010 with cashback of $50/$100/$200 respectfully - claims in by 14th September, 2010
D700, extended to 30th June, 2010 with cashback of $200 - claims in by 14th July, 2010

ving
02-06-2010, 12:48pm
no one has send me their obsolete d90/700 yet... mustn't be that obsolete hey? ;)

maccaroneski
02-06-2010, 1:55pm
no one has send me their obsolete d90/700 yet... mustn't be that obsolete hey? ;)

David I have sent you all of the D90s that I own that don't currently do the job for me :)

Herp Affinity
07-06-2010, 6:33am
I was just going to start a new thread but I like this one.

Other than all the fancy buttons on the body is there really much of a difference between the D90 and D5000? On paper they both seem extremely similar. Of course until they discontinue the D90 and it suffers from pixel degeneration. Then the D5000 might reign supreme.

Herp Affinity
07-06-2010, 6:37am
Wouldn't the nikon pixies be nixies?

:umm: No. They are called pixies because they fix pixels.

Man get with the program :lol:

old dog
07-06-2010, 9:23am
amusing thread guys. Some of yous have a pretty good sense of humour. Now, you must decide for me.....wait 10 years until a really better camera appears, send my D80 in to get a turbo fitted or get my old pentax slr out and...nah, don`t think so. Looks like 10 yrs wait.....:eek:

now seriously....I love my D80 but I want more 300s type features. I don`t think I really need them though to be a better tog. I just want much better iso performance without going full frame and having to sell/buy other lenses....you all know the story.

farmer_rob
07-06-2010, 9:29am
...wait 10 years until a really better camera appears, send my D80 in to get a turbo fitted or get my old pentax slr out and...nah, don`t think so. Looks like 10 yrs wait.....:eek:

No, you could cut the wait to nothing: the best camera is always announced just after you buy your next camera. Anyway, I am sure you will be able to recycle some of the obsoleted d90 pixels into your d80. Ving and Calx should be able to help you glue them in.

old dog
07-06-2010, 9:39am
sounds good Rob...Thanks for the advice....good advice I might add...:D

bigdazzler
07-06-2010, 12:07pm
whats this about a dead D90 ?? :D

farmer_rob
07-06-2010, 12:14pm
It's not dead, it's just resting

bigdazzler
07-06-2010, 12:23pm
Gotcha.