PDA

View Full Version : Macro lens V's Extension tubes.

7D user
23-05-2010, 8:29pm
Hi All,
I am seriously looking at getting into macro photography. therefore I am exploring the options. Should i lash out and get a macro lens - say a Canon 100mm 2.8. Or will a set of tubes coupled with my existing medium zoom do the trick?

Ta

wideangle
23-05-2010, 9:13pm
If you are unsure how much you will get into macro photography then maybe just get a set of extension tubes to begin with as this will allow you to get results without having to spend lots on a dedicated macro lens. Extension tube sets can be bought for under $200. Then if you get into macro shooting you can get a macro and also use the extension tubes on it so you are getting even more close shots.

NikonNellie
23-05-2010, 9:19pm
Wide angle has given you some good advice - I just wanted to add that I also use my macro lens for portraiture as well to make it a little more versatile.

maccaroneski
23-05-2010, 10:25pm
However a Tammy 90 can be had for around $400... and it's not going to go to waste if you're not shooting macro all day.

I only use my macro lens for close up work about 20% of the time, but having a longish fast prime can IMO only be a goo thing.

rwg717
23-05-2010, 11:02pm
All the above applies but what you need to think about is just how much use you will get from a dedicated macro, I have a Canon EF100 f2.8 and use it for lots of different things, but I must say that after I bought it I didn't do nearly as much macro work as I thought I would.:confused013
Always hard decisions these, is there something more pressing in your budget?:D
Richard

Mary Anne
24-05-2010, 12:07am
I love my Tamron 90mm Macro lens I use it more than any other of my lenses almost every day.
99% of my flower pics are taken with it plus all the insects and butterflies, dragons, frogs, bees and the list goes on.
Its great for portraits and lots of other things..
I have ex tubes and have only used them three times since Christmas :confused013

7D user
24-05-2010, 5:48pm
Thanks Guys,
That sounds like good advise. I gather from the resonses that a dedicated macro lens is favourable to a set of tubes - if you had a choice between one and the other?

I @ M
24-05-2010, 6:26pm
Buy both and get double the benefits?

What is your budget credit card like?

Philr
24-05-2010, 6:54pm
If you are serious get the dedicated lens. Extension tubes are not overly expensive but are a great benefit to macro photography. As there is no glass in and image quality is not affected by them don't bother with the Canon ones or even Kenko, you can get a cheap set for around $100. I have owned a set of Triplus tubes I picked up for $90 for the last 2 years without an issue at all.

Check around too, there are always a few good second hand lenses for sale on ebay and the likes from time to time.

NikonUser
30-05-2010, 11:04am
Another vote for 'get both' here.

I would start off with the tubes on a 50-90mm lens and see how you go. However once you start getting into macro, you will find that NOTHING is close enough and you will end up using a dedicated macro lens and a set of tubes together for that extra magnification ;-)

Good luck
Paul

Tricky
30-05-2010, 9:55pm
I'd get a macro lens first - buy a used tammy 90mm, EFS 60mm or EF 100mm. If you find that you don't enjoy macro photography, then you can sell the lens for about the same price that you paid for it.

Whilst I'd agree that tubes AND macro lenses are great together, my advice would be to learn with a macro lens alone for a while. Depth of field is so narrow once you're using tubes, that it could get disheartening for a first time macro shooter... learn how to use a 1:1 macro lens first and then (in due course) get tubes for >1x magnification.

I'd advise against using tubes with a kit lens. The results will be disappointing compared to even a cheap macro lens, and might put you off macro photography altogether.

OzzieTraveller
31-05-2010, 7:43am
G'day 7Duser

May I offer my 2-bob's worth - as having used all this stuff for many years
Firstly, Extension tubes are a very good & easy way to enable any lens in use, to take close-up/macro images, and like any of our photographic endeavours, the better the glass, the better the result

Now - some minor technicalites ...

Rule #1 ... when the extension equals the focal length you are viewing at 1:1 image size

So that while a "macro" camera lens will have more-than-normal extension via its focussing mechanism to get you to (say) 1/2:1, adding to it via an extension ring will soon bring it to 1:1 life size stuff ~ all well & good.

Rule #2 ... Depth of Field reduces as image size increases
So as you get into macro mode, you automatically get closer - to see better - and the image size increases ~ in practical terms at 1/2:1 you 'should' be shooting at f16 at least, and at 1:1 you 'should' be using f32-f45 whenever you can [my old macro lens went to f45]

Rule #3 ... When Extension tubes are used with a zoom lens [I]you must not use the zoom mechanism because immediately you do so, you change the focal length, you also change the % of lens extension compared with the extension tube, and the point of focus will dramatically alter and you're out of the race.

To come back tou your original Q - While you can use tubes on a zoom lens (with great care) you are infinitely better off using 1- a dedicated macro lens and 2- maybe using Ext'n tubes if necessary

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil

hugle
01-06-2010, 8:22pm
Just to re-iterate what many of the other posters have said, the tamron 90mm is amazing value for money and is versatile. It produces stunning images over a range of focal lengths and will definitely be a lens you will love!
Whilst i can see the advantage of extension tubes, the optical quality will not be as high and in my experience makes focusing more difficult.

rick75
01-06-2010, 8:35pm
Ok so about to get a macro lens, either the tamron 90mm f2.8 or the tamron 60mm f2.0, so my question is which is going to give the best all round performance, interested in jewellery photography, bugs, but also as a general lens. For the bugs etc I assume the 90mm would be the best, but I thought the ability of the 60mm in general and low light conditions would be better, what does everyone think?

Showipix
17-06-2010, 12:33pm
Im also looking on getting a tamron 90mm for general macro work with Canon mount - does anyone know if the extension tubes will work effectively on this lens coupled with my 40D? Cant see there being a problem but better checking than getting caught out!

NikonUser
17-06-2010, 12:35pm
I think that would work just fine Kellie.

I know my Dad uses a Tamron 90mm with tubes on a Pentax body with no problems.

Paul

ving
17-06-2010, 12:38pm
tammy's 90 and 60mm macros are excellent value. even it you dont use them as macro they make nice primes.

Showipix
17-06-2010, 12:41pm
Thanks guys - heres hoping getting a few dollars for my birthday to go and buy one! then thats it now more! LOL
(once this photography bug bites it bites hard! LOL)
Cheers