PDA

View Full Version : Balancing flash with ambient

DesmondD
23-05-2010, 5:02pm
I added this to my blog here (http://desmond-downs.blogspot.com/2010/05/flash-plus-ambient.html) for those interested .
Since the images won't show when I copy and paste to this site I'll just leave the link there .

Chilli
24-05-2010, 12:06pm
Thankyou, very helpful.

Dylan & Marianne
24-05-2010, 12:16pm
Interesting read - I've had to use manual flash on my setup recently because of variable contacts - how does your setup vary with the use of ETTL modes?

DesmondD
24-05-2010, 2:01pm
Thankyou, very helpful.
Good to hear !

Interesting read - I've had to use manual flash on my setup recently because of variable contacts - how does your setup vary with the use of ETTL modes?

Basically the ambient is independent of the flash , as long as the flash falls within the 'normal' limits of output without actually blowing the exposure and washing out the ambient .
It shouldn't matter which flash mode you use once you have the ambient where you want it .

MJH
09-04-2011, 3:12am
Thanks for your suggestions for balancing ambient and flash light. I'll be trying a few trials of my own following your procedures and hope to gain a better understanding of the process. MJH

DesmondD
09-04-2011, 5:36am
Thanks for your suggestions for balancing ambient and flash light. I'll be trying a few trials of my own following your procedures and hope to gain a better understanding of the process. MJH

Post some results here when you do :)

selaw
24-04-2011, 10:11am
I added this to my blog here (http://desmond-downs.blogspot.com/2010/05/flash-plus-ambient.html) for those interested .
Since the images won't show when I copy and paste to this site I'll just leave the link there .

Interesting blog Desmond. I'm contemplating my first flash unit and the info here has been helpful in understanding the basics of balancing the two lights. Thanks for sharing :the:

DesmondD
24-04-2011, 11:20am
Interesting blog Desmond. I'm contemplating my first flash unit and the info here has been helpful in understanding the basics of balancing the two lights. Thanks for sharing :the:

Thanks for the feedback :) enjoy the learning experience that comes with using flash ! :D

JM Tran
24-04-2011, 11:30am
a bounced flash would have yielded more favourable conditions there. This can be easily summarized by saying that the slower the shutter speed, the more ambient light is drawn in and thus creates a better balance between exposed subject and background. With ultra wides its easier than using a tele to do 1/15th and 1/20th with bounce or direct flash with EV compensation for a natural looking photo. Though you can also get away with 1/5th even if you are supporting yourself on something without a tripod.

I @ M
24-04-2011, 7:13pm
JM Tran, somehow I think you missed the whole point of Desmond's post ( did you read it or just look at the pictures? ) as it was purely about the relationship that shutter speed plays when photographing with an ambient light source that you want to balance or complement with flash output.
In the clear concise and detailed post, Desmond has presented facts and a very clearly illustrated examples, not just a quick patch up of how to make the image "better".
Yes your post has summarised some of the points and purely repeated others that Desmond took the time to post in detail to help people have a little more thorough understanding of the topic instead of a few lines that may not educate those that haven't had a great deal of experiencing flash use.

DesmondD
24-04-2011, 7:19pm
somehow I think you missed the whole point of Desmond's post.

That happens a lot :) always someone wanting to contradict a post without taking the time to understand what it is trying to accomplish ;)
I felt that direct flash on the subject may not be the most pleasing to the eye , but it was less likely to interfere with the ambient in this demonstration - which was not about getting the most pleasing effect .

JM Tran
25-04-2011, 12:14am
JM Tran, somehow I think you missed the whole point of Desmond's post ( did you read it or just look at the pictures? ) as it was purely about the relationship that shutter speed plays when photographing with an ambient light source that you want to balance or complement with flash output.
In the clear concise and detailed post, Desmond has presented facts and a very clearly illustrated examples, not just a quick patch up of how to make the image "better".
Yes your post has summarised some of the points and purely repeated others that Desmond took the time to post in detail to help people have a little more thorough understanding of the topic instead of a few lines that may not educate those that haven't had a great deal of experiencing flash use.

No I did get the point of his post thank you very much, and I wanted to summarize it in 1 simple sentence, and further elaborate on it. That is all. Lets not jump to assumptions here. Last time I checked this great forum is about sharing knowledge and information and personal experiences and I am merely doing that for those who wish to know more, or something relating to it. Would you or do you have something to share to the use of flash and ambience too, besides trying to find faults in my original post? That would be greatly helpful.