PDA

View Full Version : YongNuo YN-460 Speedlite

nigo75
22-05-2010, 7:20am
Looking at ordering 2 maybe 3 flashes off ebay YongNuo "YN-460 Speedlite" and was trtying to work out what I need to work these all at once from the Nikon D5000 I have. If possible provide links to certain other pieces of equipment I might/do need for this to work.
Also can these be mounted on a standard tripod or do I need another attachment......:confused013

All guidence is much appreciated.........:th3:

MarkChap
22-05-2010, 7:42am
nigo,

The 460 has a built in optical slave, so you can fire them with your built in flash.
Of course the problem with that is tha the built in flash also contributes to your exposure, and rang out side will be a bit limited.
Radio triggers would be a much better idea

Search ebay for RF-602, they are the ones I use, cheap and so far very reliable

farmer_rob
22-05-2010, 9:15am
I use the Cactus V4 radio triggers from image melbourne. Inexpensive and useful.

I haven't seen the Yongnuo flashes "in the plastic" but i'd guess they have a standard flash shoe fitting on the base. If you use the cactus triggers, they have a flash shoe on top where the YN will fit and a flash shoe fitting on the base with a standard screw socket as well. They also work as a small flash stand.
Your tripod or flash stand will need to either have the bare thread (in the right size) or an adaptor. Site advertiser servaas has some useful stuff, as does image melbourne. Look at the strobist site - strobist.blogspot.com - for info on how it all adapts together.

JazzXP
22-05-2010, 11:10am
nigo,

The 460 has a built in optical slave, so you can fire them with your built in flash.
Of course the problem with that is tha the built in flash also contributes to your exposure, and rang out side will be a bit limited.
Radio triggers would be a much better idea

Search ebay for RF-602, they are the ones I use, cheap and so far very reliable

Actually the 460 doesn't have optical slave, the 460 II does (which is why I went with the 460 II myself).

My setup is a SB-600 (although this could be anything really) being fired by some Cactus V4's then using my YN-460 II on optical slave mode.

One trick that tripped me up on my D5000 was that the flash had to be set on Rear mode to fire the Cactus trigger.

MarkChap
22-05-2010, 1:34pm
I guess these guys are all wrong then ??

http://##############.com.au/store//catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=211

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2009/03/manual-flashes-two-debuts-and-adoption.html

And the Manufacturer
http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detail.php?ID=236

I stand corrected :)

JazzXP
23-05-2010, 8:53am
I guess these guys are all wrong then ??

http://##############.com.au/store//catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=211

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2009/03/manual-flashes-two-debuts-and-adoption.html

And the Manufacturer
http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detail.php?ID=236

I stand corrected :)

Oh wait, my bad (sorry), but the YN-460 has the sensor in the head itself, whereas the YN-460II is in the body, so you can turn it to face the direction of the firing flash.

Scotty72
23-05-2010, 2:47pm
Correct, the sensor in the head is a little like a fly-screen on a submarine.

Why would you want the flash head facing back at you? lol

Scotty

I @ M
23-05-2010, 3:47pm
Correct, the sensor in the head is a little like a fly-screen on a submarine.

Why would you want the flash head facing back at you? lol

Scotty

You aren't serious are you Scotty??? :confused013

You may find that the meaning behind that is to have the head rotated so that the light output part is facing away from you and towards your subject whilst the "front" panel with the sensor faces your camera when using the unit as a remote.
At least that is the way that most other speedlights seem to work.

Canon500D
23-05-2010, 5:34pm
I have 2 of the yn-460's and they're awesome! great recycle time and well worth it!

Scotty72
23-05-2010, 10:29pm
You aren't serious are you Scotty??? :confused013

You may find that the meaning behind that is to have the head rotated so that the light output part is facing away from you and towards your subject whilst the "front" panel with the sensor faces your camera when using the unit as a remote.
At least that is the way that most other speedlights seem to work.

I know, not sure why we are disagreeing when we are not disagreeing ?????

I have used - and have ordered the 460 ii.... It has it's sensor in the body so, it can face you whilst the flash head faces the subject.

But, the old one - as i understood it from a mate's grumbles - its sensor was pointed in the direction of the flash. So, often, it would not fire unless it was pointed at your on-board flash.

It could work as a second slave if you a speedlite (radio trigger) off to one side and the 460 on the other. So, you'd press the shutter; the speedlite would go off (and because it was to the side, it would set off the 460.

Anyway.. the design was dumb lol

Scotty

exmrblonde
09-06-2010, 9:47pm
Just ordered a couple of these too.
Not bad as a #2 & #3 flash.
I'll be using V4's to trigger these..

Lincolnbl
10-06-2010, 5:07pm
let us know your thoughts when they arrive exmrblonde. Am considering the same purchase shortly.

Any reason you chose the Cactus triggers over the Yongnuo ones that are a bit cheaper - or did you have the cactuses already?

Scotty72
10-06-2010, 6:32pm
Mine have arrived. I honestly can't complain.

You have to understand, they are fully manual (no TTL) so, you can't blame it for exposure levels.

Once you understand just how much light each setting gives out, then they are fine.

I've used them in my dingy school hall to fill the stage (one on either side triggered either by the flash on the camera (optically) (580 ex II) or via radio (with the 580 ex II) as a third off camera flash. I just need a few test shots to get the power settings right (and I'm quickly getting better at guessing those). I've yet to notice any mis-fires etc.

With three flashes - you get a nice even light across the stage and each flash doesn't need to be set to "death ray".

As the lighting doesn't really change that much in the hall, I can leave the settings alone (mostly). Even if it does, I can adjust exposure on the camera and that is enough (usually). So far, that has been ok.

I keep experimenting.

Scotty

Lincolnbl
12-06-2010, 1:17pm
This is a silly question but rather than waste the money I thought I would risk the shame in asking it :o

Will the Yongnou TX602 radio trigger, trigger the Yongnuo 460II strobe? Its just the ebay website and ############## site neither lists the Yongnuo 460II as compatible flashes for either the TX602 and Cactus V4 triggers.

Let the flaming begin :)

Scotty72
12-06-2010, 1:24pm
Can't comment on that particular trigger but, in general the cheapies (such as I have) will trigger the flash in a purely manual mode - that is, there will be no TTL (not that this flash has it anyway) nor will other functions such as rear curtain flash be supported.

In other words, it will simply send a pulse which fires a 1st curtain flash.

If you want to get tricky and use 2nd curtain or multiple pulses per exposure, you can work around by using optical slave - which simply copies what your on-camera flash does (be mindful of pre-flashes though)

Hope this helps.

Lincolnbl
12-06-2010, 2:21pm
Thanks. Plan to use it in full manual mode anyways so thats fine.

Will ask the ebay shop too just to confirm before laying hard earned down.

exmrblonde
13-06-2010, 12:08pm
let us know your thoughts when they arrive exmrblonde. Am considering the same purchase shortly.

Any reason you chose the Cactus triggers over the Yongnuo ones that are a bit cheaper - or did you have the cactuses already?

Already had the V4 trigger and receiver, but your post prompted me to order a couple more receivers - DOH !!
I'll keep you posted

Jeanick
14-06-2010, 6:05pm
Yong Nou 460, a very nice and in-expensive flashgun. you can use it with the equally in-expensive RF-602 radio triggers. which is also manufactured by Yong Nou.

nigo75
15-06-2010, 8:10pm
Yep #1 turned up today pretty good so far....................:)