PDA

View Full Version : Tripod & Head

TAYLORW619
21-05-2010, 10:09pm
I'm considering buying http://www.qualitycamera.com.au/manfrotto-055xprob055xprob-tripod-with-498rc2-ball-head-p-4950.html this tripod and head from our site sponsors. What do you guys think?

Is the 498RC2 head better than the 488RC2?

And also the specifications of the 055XPROB is different on the DD Photographics website. Why is this.

All help appreciated, thanks,
Taylor

TAYLORW619
21-05-2010, 11:00pm
Also the colour says it's silver, thats a downside.

arthurking83
22-05-2010, 5:46am
I'm not a huge fan of Manfrotto heads and legs, but these products have decent reputations.

The 488 head is one I would definitely avoid tho!.. mine has been sitting forlorn for many years now as it's basically so badly worn that it hardly tightens itself up any more.

had a quick peek at the new 498 head and it looks weird and probably more of a compromise compared to a standard ballhead. It doesn't seem to allow the same level of freedom of movement as a normal ballhead. It looks too restricted in the amount of space at the stem ball.
Therefore you'd have to keep the rotating base plate loose as well to allow yourself the same level of movement as a normal ballhead does.
This may also not be a bad thing, after all the two most important aspects are the ability to line the camera up as you need too.. not always how quickly you do it! And rigidity!! The device does look a lot more solid than the 488 head does!(which is not hard.. not a solid ballhead)

if it were my money on the line now... personally I'd go for a higher end Benro setup as my first tripod/head(and then progress from there).

Tripod and head is really dependent on a two factors:
How big is your biggest lens(and any plans for biggie lenses) do you shoot in low light?

If you don't have plans for super tele lenses and only planning to explore the surface of the sun then any tripod can be good. If you want/need better quality you need to pay for it.

How much is this set up going to cost?

Roof
22-05-2010, 5:50am
i reckon you need to search on this site plenty of tripod threads.

TAYLORW619
22-05-2010, 9:09am
My biggest lens is the 70-200mm f2.8 IS.

TAYLORW619
22-05-2010, 9:56pm
I ended up purchasing the Manfrotto 055XPROB and the 498RC2 midi ball head.

Does anybody know where I can purchase a second quick release plate? Thanks

KevPride
23-05-2010, 12:08am
I ended up purchasing the Manfrotto 055XPROB and the 498RC2 midi ball head.

Does anybody know where I can purchase a second quick release plate? Thanks

Try here:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/One-1-quick-release-plate-Manfrotto-Bogen-heads-/230477294055?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item35a98469e7

I have bought items & is a reputable seller on Ebay.

TAYLORW619
23-05-2010, 10:42am
Thanks for going to the trouble to find the link, but the plates don't support the head i'm getting (986RC2). Do you know of anywhere else apart from ebay?

Thanks

mercho
23-05-2010, 10:59am
Thanks for going to the trouble to find the link, but the plates don't support the head i'm getting (986RC2). Do you know of anywhere else apart from ebay?

Thanks

Vanbar:

http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/index.php?item1=TRIPOD&item2=QUICK-PLATE&item3=MANFROTTO&brand=

Not sure if they have the model your after though, but they have a few..

arthurking83
23-05-2010, 5:25pm
.... but the plates don't support the head i'm getting (986RC2). Do you know of anywhere else apart from ebay?

Thanks

They should!

RC2 plates are RC2 plates, irrespective of what ballhead you have(or have ordered)!!

'frotto have many other models of RC type plates with different numbers in the suffix.

There are RC0 plates, RC2's, RC4's, and RC5's amongst the ones I know and have used.

if you purchase a head and it has the description RC2, then any RC2 type plate will fit onto that head plate.
If you purchase an RC4 plate then you can't fit an RC2 plate.. only the RC4 plate.

Depending on your main usage the larger the suffix the more sturdy the plate too!

But for that size and type of ballhead an RC2 plate is sufficient.

The link to the ebay plate is what you need.. but manfrotto plates shoudl be easy to find at any Ted's/Michaels/Camera House/other camera store where they sell Manfrotto equipment. They're very common.

Big Pix
23-05-2010, 5:30pm

Thanks

...... try here http://photovideo.com.au/-c-30.html a joy to deal with and quick if in stock