PDA

View Full Version : small cheap tripod for travel

Regnis
19-05-2010, 4:12pm
Hey guys,

i'm in need of a "small cheap tripod for travel" when i go to the US in a couple of months. My budget is pretty restricted say max $70. I have had my eyes on the Gorillapod SLR Zoom but have recently read reviews that it may not handle the weight. I will be taking a 40D, wide angle and a 50mm prime. I obviously want it to be sturdy enough to hold my camera and not take to much time to set up.

any suggestions?

cheers

Dylan & Marianne
19-05-2010, 4:16pm
forgive me for not directly replying to your question , I just wanted to ask : how good a set of images do you want to take while travelling?
Until recently, I thought pics weren't a priority but then I considered that I wouldn't be returning to most of these places and wanted as good a quality bunch of images as I could take - so I ended up bringing the landscape tripod along for travel.

Regnis
19-05-2010, 4:25pm
yeah i obviously want some high quality pics... and i know u get what you pay for but i have alot of expenses coming up and really want something pretty light on...so i just thought i would throw it out there and see if anyone knows of some hidden gems;)

plus the tripod i own at the moment is very large

Dylan & Marianne
19-05-2010, 4:27pm
if you're willing to spend abuit more than 70, benro carbon fibre tripods are a few hundred dollars , are light, and I've been told, as sturdy as their higher priced but super reliable gitzo counterparts

Darey
19-05-2010, 4:46pm
Regnis,

Maybe if you can stretch your budget by $30 the tripod linked below may fit the bill. At least it could act as a guide of what you can get.

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod5743.htm

Best wishes for your trip and bring back some nice shots for us to see. :)

(I hope it is ok to post this link in this thread.)

Charmed
19-05-2010, 5:32pm
Compare the prices here & in the US, take the rate of the $ into consideration of course & even think about buying once you arrive.

Regnis
19-05-2010, 7:57pm
darey thankyou very much... that may be just what i'm looking for.

Charmed, yes that is the idea.... i've seen the item above listed for $75 on amazon. I may just get it delivered to my friends house over there so it is ready when i land

Philr
19-05-2010, 8:04pm
I took a small manfrotto with me when I went, but as we were storm chasing most of the time it was more of a hinderance as it was too light for what I do. If you need one, go to Walmart when you get there and buy one. You will get a reasonably good one for 100 bucks or so. Saves carting it all the way over and worrying about it getting broken in your check in luggage.