PDA

View Full Version : Pentax K-x and the I-AVC7 cable

soundslikechocolate
18-05-2010, 3:52pm
So I've been trying to find out if using said cable with a K-x would enable you to use a TV/monitor as, basically, a much larger version of whats LCD on the camera. I stumbled across this on pentaxforums from user rawr:

"With the K-x you only get a component-video feed that outputs PAL/NTSC video though - ie standard resolution video. If your laptop doesn't accept component video inputs directly maybe you can use a TV to preview the images and tune your focus. A full description of using this is on p221-222 of the K-x manual. You will need a USB to component video cable like the Pentax I-AVC7 cable or similar."

The manual is very vague in what is actually displayed on he TV/monitor simply saying "The camera turns on in video mode, and the camera information is displayed on the screen of the connected AV device"

What i want to be able to do is use the TV/monitor as monitor for when I'm shooting video, as that would come in amazingly handy, even if it somehow conforms it to 25fps and SD.

So has anyone tried this?

Cheers
Josh

(sorry if this is considered out of place at ausphotography)

tim71
18-05-2010, 11:05pm
G'day Josh,

does the K-x have HDMI? or can you just go composite video (single yellow) from camera to tv?

cheers,

Tim

soundslikechocolate
19-05-2010, 11:52am
Hi Tim, thanks for the reply. The K-x doesn't have HDMI. From what i've read, i'm still uncertain if using the composite out into a TV will then turn the TV into the LiveView screen (for video and photos), or it simply displays video and photos already taken on the camera, hence turning the TV into a review device, instead of a preview device.

This is what I was wondering if anyone has any experience with.

Mat
21-05-2010, 11:52pm
Hi Josh

I just tried it with my K-x and the I-AVC7 cable and it does replicate the LCD but the LCD does not operate whilst the TV is connected (not that that is a problem).

Mat

soundslikechocolate
25-05-2010, 10:03am
Awesome! thanks for testing that out for me Mat! Really useful info.