PDA

View Full Version : Need help... please

danny
16-05-2010, 9:17pm
Ok a couple of months ago I got my first DSLR, an entry level D3000 nikon. It came with the nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G edII and of course I now am looking at getting another lens. I think I have narrowed it down to one of the following.

1) Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f4-5.6G IF-ED or
2) Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG Macro

They are both the same price so it simple comes down to which would be the best lens. All I am after is the next range from my current lens. I am leaning towards the Sigma as it has the larger range.

It would be great if someone could give me some advice. What do you think?

Cheers
Danny

arthurking83
16-05-2010, 9:38pm
Hi Danny.

You mentioned two key words in your post:

price and range(larger range).

larger range at lower price generally means a slightly inferior quality(but not always)

there are always compromises to be had in engineering, and when price is a factor, then it;s generally inversely proportional to the resultant quality!

From those two lenses, I'd definitely take the 55-200 lens. having very briefly used it myself, I can say it works quite well(given it's intended purpose, that is).
BUT having also owned the Sigma 70-300 lens, I can also say that it also works quite well too.

As far as I know(and I don't keep up with every aspect of camera news) I'm sure that this particular Sigma doesn't autofocus with these lower end Nikon bodies that require SWM type focusing systems in the lens. those types of lenses wil have to have the designation of AF-S(Nikon) HSM(Sigma) and for any Tamron lens you look at as an option, it should have the designation, something like [BIM] or For Nikon with Built in Motor.

IF you can stretch the budget, then Nikon's own 70-300mm VR lens is definitely worth the money.
if you can't stretch it to approx $600-700 then the 55-200VR is the lens to go for.

EDIT: I just found that the Sigma lens does come with a built in motor for the motorless Nikon cameras.. so if you go that route make sure that you get the correct lens.

bigdazzler
17-05-2010, 8:23am
Why do you want to buy another lens ?? Do you need 200mm+ at this stage of your development with the new camera ... ??

old dog
17-05-2010, 9:09am
Go the 70-300vr for a little more bucks.

MTV
17-05-2010, 11:05am
If you don't have the cash to stretch out to the Nikon 70-300 VR like a few others have said then definitely go with the Nikkor 55-200. Its a fantastic lens, very sharp and the autofocus is surprisingly quick and frequently touted online as the best 'bang for your buck' telephoto zoom for Nikons in that range. Also, VR is worth its weight in gold. Fantastically effective.

I own this lens and have for around two years now and can attest to its quality. The only thing I don't like about it is the plastic lens mount, but even it is holding up surprisingly well. It also compliments the 18-55 perfectly so that there is no perceivable gap in the middle.

Also, I seem to remember that when I was asking this same question a number of years ago that the Sigma is only a 'true 300mm' when focusing on subjects a long way away, so when zooming on something close up the results prove closer to 200mm than you would think (or like perhaps!). Although that was a few years ago and I may be confusing it with another lens...

pgbphotographytas
17-05-2010, 11:07am
Go the 70-300vr for a little more bucks.

Agree :)

ving
17-05-2010, 1:59pm
having a 55-200 af-s vr i can recommend it.

swifty
17-05-2010, 4:45pm
I also second or wassit third or fourth the 70-300mm vr nikkor.
But if budget is a problem, look for second hand 55-200mm vr since many get this in a twin lens kit and look to dump it cheap when they upgrade. U could buy it and use it in the mean time and re-sell when u've saved enough for the 70-300 vr without loosing much or any since u bought it second hand in the first place. Have a look on gumtree, there's usually a few 55-200's there for sale.

danny
17-05-2010, 7:23pm
A big cheers to all for your advice. I'll definitely check out the 70-300mm vr but other wise thanks to all your advice it will be the 55-200mm.

Cheers

Danny

danny
17-05-2010, 7:43pm
I also second or wassit third or fourth the 70-300mm vr nikkor.
But if budget is a problem, look for second hand 55-200mm vr since many get this in a twin lens kit and look to dump it cheap when they upgrade. U could buy it and use it in the mean time and re-sell when u've saved enough for the 70-300 vr without loosing much or any since u bought it second hand in the first place. Have a look on gumtree, there's usually a few 55-200's there for sale.

Thanks for the guntree idea, have looked and already contacted a couple of sellers.