PDA

View Full Version : Which lens ?

canman98
16-05-2010, 5:51pm
Hi all,

I am about to upgrade my Pentax "ist"DL to the K-7. My problem is that I was looking at the sigma 50-500 to go with it, but when I went shopping the guy suggested I go for the new Sigma 120-400 as it is a bit faster, lighter(for hand held & low light shooting), is a bit sharper and around $800 cheaper.

My original reason for going for the 50-500 was mainly more for the lower end option but also good to have that upper range. I have done some OS travelling and now going to Africa in August and found in the past having to change lenses from long-short-long can mean the loss of the shot and having the versatility of the 50-500 would allow me to be able to only have to take the one lens away.

Would the 120-400 give me enough range for general shot? or would I need to still have a shorter lens on hand?

Is my thinking all wrong?

Unsure please help.

Thanks

Graham

I @ M
16-05-2010, 6:38pm
The only person that has to live with the consequences of your thinking is you :D

Or maybe the minister for finance in the household as well?

Anyway now that we have solved your financial problems I guess we had better examine your photographic needs.

My thoughts are that if you were happy to budget the amount for the 50 - 500 then you would be better served with 2 good quality lenses rather than just the one.
There have been quite a few discussions on here in the past about how long a lens you will need for wild life in Africa and then what sort of lens that you will need for scenery and general closer range shots.
Seeing as I am the sort of person that doesn't really go for the "all round" lens solution I would probably look at the 120-400 and then spend the "leftover" cash on something like a Tamron 17-50 and worry about the focal length gap between the lenses another day. :)

canman98
17-05-2010, 8:11pm
The only person that has to live with the consequences of your thinking is you :D

Or maybe the minister for finance in the household as well?

Anyway now that we have solved your financial problems I guess we had better examine your photographic needs.

My thoughts are that if you were happy to budget the amount for the 50 - 500 then you would be better served with 2 good quality lenses rather than just the one.
There have been quite a few discussions on here in the past about how long a lens you will need for wild life in Africa and then what sort of lens that you will need for scenery and general closer range shots.
Seeing as I am the sort of person that doesn't really go for the "all round" lens solution I would probably look at the 120-400 and then spend the "leftover" cash on something like a Tamron 17-50 and worry about the focal length gap between the lenses another day. :)
Yes maybe it would be easier to get the less expensive choice passed by the finance minister/leader of the opposition :D.

Thanks for your thoughts, I know you can't have one lens "fits all" & wouldn't be my only lens. I do have some shorter kit lenses ...18-50, 28-90 (my post maybe sounded a bit this way-sorry :o ) So maybe that gives weight to your thoughts Andrew & I should go for the 120-400.

I guess I'm looking at the convenience while travelling of taking the one lens that will cover most situations.

Thanks

Graham