PDA

View Full Version : C lens to Nikon D90 - Navitar 8mm f1.5

JulesR94
16-05-2010, 5:23pm
Okay, so to my absolute amazement. I found one in my dads old shed, mint cond. Now i want to mount it too my Nikon D90...Im having trouble finding an adapter that would be best, as the lens has no focus control.

If anyone could post a link to one, or if anyone has any experience using c screw mounts on a new nikon. Go ahead prove your amazing research skills.

I @ M
16-05-2010, 5:33pm
If what you are describing as a C mount lens is what I think it is then you are out of luck.
As far as I know, the C designation was applied to the early rangefinder lenses and they cannot be used on a dslr.

Edit time, I just read the description and brand name, it seems that the lens is some sort of astronomical lens and once again I don't think that you have any chance of using it on a dslr.

JulesR94
16-05-2010, 5:36pm
Here is one on ebay, with heaps of pics. http://cgi.ebay.com/ELGEET-FAST-1-5-8mm-RARE-ARRIFLEX-MOUNT-LENS-/270452496551?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3ef83998a7

You sure you cant? ive seen lots of people using c mounts on 4/3 cameras

I @ M
16-05-2010, 5:41pm
I'm not sure at all but I have heard of a few different lenses and adapters being used on Nikon DSLR bodies but never that one, sounds like you have done miles more research than I have (and am ever likely to do) so you obviously know more than me on the subject. :)

JulesR94
16-05-2010, 5:45pm
haha, thanks for your help man. I really dont know much else apart from the fact that people have used c mount adapter on 4/3. The information about this lens is pretty stub apart from that it was on the Tiros-1.

arthurking83
16-05-2010, 8:18pm
C-mount lenses are for a smaller video frame size.
They are (apparently) very common, and the lenses can be found very cheaply on ebay too.

Due to the very limited DOF characteristics of the 4/3rds mount(compared to full frame and APS-C) very fast(large aperture) lenses are sought to give back to that system what the design takes away when coming from a larger film or digital system.

So a 50mm f/0.95 lens may sound wonderful by it's pure specs, on a 4/3rds camera it's basically equivalent to a 100mm f/2.8 lens on a full frame system, in terms of FOV and DOF as a set of combined values.
(from memory I think the difference in DOF from full frame to APS-C is about 1.5stops, and from full frame to 4/3rds is about 4stops.. or something like that).

mounting a C-mount lens to an APS-C frame size will vignette like mad(more of a circular fisheye look) and of course not having the ability to focus means that you'll need a bellows type of mounting system behind the adapter

Any lens can be mounted to any imaging system with a great deal of dedication.. but the question you should be asking yourself is .. is it going to be worth it in the end?