PDA

View Full Version : which program to get?

john sharon
16-05-2010, 9:02am
hi all
its all new to me. the thing i'm learning is that as well as having a good camera you all so need a good photo editing program which to me is a little scary cause i'm also computer illiterate. so any advise for a user friendly programs for dummies would be great.:lol2:

thanks john

ricktas
16-05-2010, 9:53am
HI John,

Friendly programs..hmmmn

OK. I would suggest photoshop elements. It uses the software engine of Photoshop, but a much more consumer price bracket. There are a huge pile of tutorials on the internet for Elements to help you on your way. Youtube can be a great source of instructional videos. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=photoshop+elements+tutorials+for+beginners&aq=1

bigdazzler
16-05-2010, 10:08am
Welcome to AP mate.

If you plan to take a LOT of pictures with that shiny new camera (and you will :D), along with Photoshop Elements as Rick suggested above, you should check out Adobe Lightroom (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/). It is an image cataloging program that allows you to organise your images and keep your collection all neat and tidy. It is also a RAW processor (which you will eventually need), and an image editor as well. This book (http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Computers/Graphics_Design/General/9780321555564/?cf=3&rid=692044369&i=1&keywords=SCOTT+KELBY+LIGHTROOM) is fantastic for someone new to Lightroom .. it will make life a whole lot easier for you if you do choose to buy.

Lightroom and Elements are both Adobe Software so they integrate and work seamlessly together. You wont go wrong with that combination for your editing :th3:

nah1981h
16-05-2010, 10:58am
I am in the same boat and have been looking for a reasonably priced program - although I've only just got my computer back after not having it since the start of March so now I can get serious with it.

ameerat42
16-05-2010, 11:03am
Cheap, eh? PaintShop used to be, and maybe still. Have a look at this page, and down the bottom for others. Am.
http://download.cnet.com/Corel-PaintShop-Photo-Pro/3000-2192_4-10001995.html

BIG PSSSS! Whatever you do, DON'T run the "Free" scan at the top of the page.

bigdazzler
16-05-2010, 11:11am
if you want ultimate cheap ..... like "free" cheap ..... The Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/) is a very capable editor. I used it for a long time before upgrading to PS + LR.

Thomp
17-05-2010, 10:47am
+ 1 for gimp, I think its a great program to start on, does many things that photoshop can do and its free!

Kym
17-05-2010, 10:58am
I like The GIMP but it is only an 8 bit program, but its free!

As a really simple start and handy quick editor... Paint.NET (http://www.getpaint.net/download.html) which is also free.
Its not related to Windows Paint other than name, it is the easiest photo editor and if you are at all cyberphobic this is the program for you.

If you process raw Lightroom + Elements are probably the best low cost option.

pgbphotographytas
17-05-2010, 11:20am
I use the Gimp and Picasa which both suit me well.

fisher
17-05-2010, 6:05pm
Hi Everyone , I am much the same as John regarding computer and camera experience, has anyone had any involvement with the nikon capture NX2 program.

Cheers Glen (fisher)

I @ M
17-05-2010, 8:26pm
john sharon, try downloading any of the free programs that you can. Take time to understand the way they work (or don't) and assess what your main needs are -- photo editing or photo enhancement.

Glen (fisher) a fair bit of Capture NX2 experience here ( I have torn all my hair out :D ), what is it in particular that you wanted to know?

fisher
17-05-2010, 8:37pm
Hi Andrew,

just wanted to know how easy/hard it is to use, or is there a easier program to use.
Being a novice and looking at some of the photos here that have been processed they are pretty spectacular.

Cheers Glen

I @ M
17-05-2010, 8:45pm
Glen, (with apologies to john sharon for hijacking his thread) I find Capture NX quite easy to use and believe it is the best way to get a very good NEF to JPEG edited conversion in a relatively short time.

If you are wanting to create hollywood style processed to the max images it doesn't suit but as an easy to use image development tool it works very well in my opinion.

nigo75
17-05-2010, 8:51pm
A great program that is free and works better than a lot of exspensive ones is Microsoft Image Composite Editor (ICE) http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ice/ used for photo stitching.........:th3:

Thomp
18-05-2010, 6:16am
A great program that is free and works better than a lot of exspensive ones is Microsoft Image Composite Editor (ICE) http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ice/ used for photo stitching.........:th3:

I've been using hugin ever since I started taking panos, just tried ICE and all I can say is WOW! Compared to hugin creating a panorama is just so simple, no need to place control points just drop the photos in and you're done. Auto crop is pretty cool too:th3:Hugin seems to give more control and options but for ease of use ICE is looking pretty awesome. That said, I think hugin is better if the pano is tricky, be much easier to fix any errors in the image.

maccaroneski
18-05-2010, 8:25am
I will echo Andrew's endorsement of NX2 (as well as his apologies).

I would recommend Jason Odell's e-book on it. NX can be bought as a package with the Nik plugins (Color Efx) and both can be downloaded as a free 30 day trial.

fillum
18-05-2010, 1:02pm
Just to add to the above...

All of the major commercial software (Photoshop CS5, Elements, Lightroom, Capture NX2) are available as free trial downloads for 30 days. (Note that Capture NX2's primary use is for processing raw Nikon files). A quick google should locate the sources for downloading.

FWIW I use NX2 plus an old version (v4) of PS Elements.

Cheers.

jeffde
18-05-2010, 1:57pm
Start with a free one GiMP / Picassa or those mentioned above then move up later.

Concentrate on your photogrpahy first - Then play with the better programs as you need.
I've moved up to Lightroom and love it (used Picasa before that) but am still learning (and probably always will be with software LOL )...

Good luck

jennyw
18-05-2010, 4:36pm
I totally agree with Phil about downloading the free trials before purchasing, as that way you get an understanding of how each program works and you can decide which one best suits your needs.

Cheers,
Jenny

Showipix
18-05-2010, 9:24pm
HI guys - i have photoshop 6 with no user guide etc - it was installed free when I got my computer last year so had no choice when it was installed
Im trying to locate some sort of user manual or am i better to give up and upgrade to Lightroom or a more recent Adobe product? i dont even know when Photoshop 6 was brought out!!

Help!?

Thanks
Kellie

fillum
18-05-2010, 11:00pm
i have photoshop 6 with no user guide etcJust to clarify Kellie, do you have Photoshop 6 or Photoshop Elements 6?

Photoshop 6 is probably 10 years old and I would think fairly outdated whereas Photoshop Elements 6 is only a few years old and should be still quite useful.

Cheers.

Showipix
19-05-2010, 6:15am
Just to clarify Kellie, do you have Photoshop 6 or Photoshop Elements 6?

Photoshop 6 is probably 10 years old and I would think fairly outdated whereas Photoshop Elements 6 is only a few years old and should be still quite useful.

Howdy
I just click the about icon in the program and all it tells me is photoshop 6......so i think i only have the old version - me thinks i need to upgrade!

No wonder i have found virtually no user guides or dummy guides on the net to help learn how to use it

Cheers
Kellie

roz
19-05-2010, 11:00am
at home I use paintshop pro 7, yes its old but i know it inside out :) at my camera course they use photoshop CS4, its great and i wish I could afford it.

bigdazzler
19-05-2010, 11:17am
at my camera course they use photoshop CS4, its great and i wish I could afford it.

you may be able to .. depending on your course status .... you may be entitled to the student version which comes in at under $150.

ving
19-05-2010, 11:20am
I use psp12....

but you cant get cheaper than free so look for irfanview and the associated raw plugin. it is so easy to use but limited. if you dont want to do too much processing than this would be the way to go.

roz
19-05-2010, 12:03pm
you may be able to .. depending on your course status .... you may be entitled to the student version which comes in at under $150.

I just did some research about it, thank you so much.. your a gem :) I will contact the school asap and see if they can help me, according to the site I went too I need a letter from the school on there letterhead or even an email address, and I am pretty certain I have one of them, just had no need to use it as yet. :)
it would be so much easier to be able to take my own laptop, and not be wasting time each week going through theirs trying to find one with CS4 and not elements.

bigdazzler
19-05-2010, 12:05pm
I just did some research about it, thank you so much.. your a gem :) I will contact the school asap and see if they can help me, according to the site I went too I need a letter from the school on there letterhead or even an email address, and I am pretty certain I have one of them, just had no need to use it as yet. :)
it would be so much easier to be able to take my own laptop, and not be wasting time each week going through theirs trying to find one with CS4 and not elements.

Your welcome .. Hope it works out for you :th3:

If you have a student ID card, all you need to do is provide a scan of that to Adobe and they will send you a serial# to activate the software. Very easy.

couchie
21-05-2010, 8:28am
Hi,

I have Photoshop Elements 8, I brought it when I brought my new computer.
But when I went to try and use it, It was OMG... how will I ever learn to use this thing.
So I did a online search and came up with these guys,http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/

And I have to tell you, they are fantastic. For me anyway, they have so many Tuts
and so easy to learn from, I learn best buy watching, they have a video on every Tut,
so easy to just follow along. There is also a fantastic forum, so you will never get stuck.
There is so much more.

Well worth it if you go PSE.

Cheers
couchie

Regnis
21-05-2010, 9:49am

really? I am currently studying a Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning. Would I be able to get it studying this? or does it have to be a photography related course?

and by course status do you mean part time/full time?

bigdazzler
21-05-2010, 12:41pm
really? I am currently studying a Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning. Would I be able to get it studying this? or does it have to be a photography related course?

and by course status do you mean part time/full time?

You would be entitled to it ... All you need to do is provide a scanned copy of your student ID to Adobe and they will email you with a serial # to activate the program.

No it doesnt have to photography related, and some short courses arent eligible at some institutions. You will be fine.

You can buy the Student Version for Windows or mac here. (http://www.citysoftware.com.au/photoshop%20student.aspx?Menu=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&Search=1)

Regnis
22-05-2010, 9:17am
hey daz thanks very much you just got me pretty excited:D....would I be after the Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended - MAC - Student/Teacher Edition?

bigdazzler
22-05-2010, 9:47am
hey daz thanks very much you just got me pretty excited:D....would I be after the Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended - MAC - Student/Teacher Edition?

Yep ... :th3:

kmets
20-07-2010, 11:54am
My husband was able to get me Photoshop CS3 from work. I also downloaded trials of Lightroom and ACDSee Pro3. My camera came with software as well. The conclusion I came to, is I have no clue how to use any of them! So I guess my advice would be pick one, find a book or some videos and learn how to fully use it.

bigdazzler
20-07-2010, 12:51pm
What you need to understand kmets is that Lightroom and PS are different things, and most workflows will consist of both. (or something similar)

Lightroom is primarily a file storage and management (D.A.M - Digital Asset Management) program and RAW file processor, it also has some more editing capabilities such as spot healing, adjustment brushes etc.

Photoshop is a dedicated photo editor and used for more complex editing. PS allows you to work with layers which LR doesnt.

Photoshop also has a built in component called Adobe Bridge which will allow you to sort and store your files, and Adobe Camera Raw that will allow you to edit your raw files as well.

Therefore, LR is not absolutely necessary, you can set up a basic workflow from camera to print within PS.

jasevk
20-07-2010, 1:06pm
I can't comment much about Lightroom, but I use photoshop. My best tip would be to take it slow and not get frustrated while trying to learn it, it's extremely powerful but it's easy to 'over-do' it. I once heard that it takes on average about 1000hrs of use to become proficient in photoshop.... I think I agree with this, but patience is the key! :)

JzB
20-07-2010, 5:06pm
Hi All,

Now Im not trying to be a stickler for details but am curios after reading some of the replies here...

Within one of the "Stickies" Kym has written:

"The following programs are more than sufficient for 98% of PP that any photographer is likely to do.
a) The GIMP http://www.gimp.org/ (this has many plugins and has similar capabilities to Photoshop)
b) Picasa from google http://picasa.google.com/
c) Paint .net http://www.getpaint.net/ (Very lightweight, good for JPEGs and simple stuff)

And the missing 2% can be done using other programs (eg. Autostitch for panoramas)"

Now after reading this thread, I am left wondering if "free" is the way to go or not - as many seem to still recomend spending $ up front.

Thanks,

JzB

bigdazzler
20-07-2010, 7:08pm
GIMP is great for beginners. I used it for a long time before upgrading to LR and PS.

It uses layers and masks just like PS, and has most, if not all, of the essential tools that any beginning photographer will use in PS.

As you shoot more and more frames, and your library builds, LR or Aperture are a good idea to keep your photos organised.

Kimbolina
25-07-2010, 8:45pm
I downloaded Oloneo Photo Engine (http://www.oloneo.com/) two days ago, mainly because it was free and I haven't decided on a program to buy yet. It seems easy enough to use as I haven't had much experience with photo editing software. :)
They also have video tutorials on how to use it on their site.

shezz
27-07-2010, 10:56pm
great question john because i was wondering the same now i have lots of trials and research to look at

Rick
02-08-2010, 9:26pm
I'd also like to know which program would suit me to start enhancing photo's. I have Photoshop Elements and have heard that GIMP is also a great program. I'm after something relatively basic so I can get the fundamentals down. I don't see the point in getting a program that has all the bells and whistles when I wont be using them as I don't know what they do etc!

PS Elements or GIMP to start out with?

I have never done any post processing before so I have no idea at all!

etherial
02-08-2010, 9:49pm
Hi Rick, it depends on what you want to do in PP. Single photos, layers, details, etc go with GIMP (because it is free) or PSE. On the other hand, managing many photos, and basic to medium level adjustments go and buy Lightroom.

Gemini2261
02-08-2010, 10:57pm
All this PP stuff makes me feel like I need to go get another degree...it is not straight forward:confused013

bigdazzler
03-08-2010, 6:54am
OK I would suggest that the best way for someone having their first go at post editing of their pictures would be to have a play with something very simple that will allow you to adjust exposure, colour, contrast, cropping, sharpening etc ...

I think you should forget about programs that are based around the use of layers and masks in the beginning.

I would suggest Lightroom as a good starting point. It will allow you to fo a few things with one program. Like storing and managing your libraries, playing with white balance, adjusting RAW files (very important to learn how to do !!), make colour and contrast adjustments, sharpening , pretty much all the basic steps required when adjusting a digital photograph.

It doesnt use layers so you will not delve in too deep too quickly with Lightroom, but PS can be added later on and integrated seamlessly when the time comes.

Lightroom is a great starting point for practicing your editing :)

Rick
03-08-2010, 10:33am
Great input guys!! Thanks alot

Pixley
05-08-2010, 1:23pm
After the recommendations given here I downloaded GIMP and have been able to do some basic stuff already - will next be looking at some tutorials:th3:. Thanks for the advice!

achee
06-08-2010, 9:54am
Hi All,

Now Im not trying to be a stickler for details but am curios after reading some of the replies here...

Within one of the "Stickies" Kym has written:

Quote:
"The following programs are more than sufficient for 98% of PP that any photographer is likely to do.
a) The GIMP http://www.gimp.org/ (this has many plugins and has similar capabilities to Photoshop)
b) Picasa from google http://picasa.google.com/
c) Paint .net http://www.getpaint.net/ (Very lightweight, good for JPEGs and simple stuff)

And the missing 2% can be done using other programs (eg. Autostitch for panoramas)"
Now after reading this thread, I am left wondering if "free" is the way to go or not - as many seem to still recomend spending $ up front.

Thanks,

JzB

I'd second that. For someone who wants to do fairly basic (read: easy, but will get you quite far), and doesn't want to spend a lot of time learning something quite complex, I'd recommend Picasa. I think most people who are into photography as a hobby and want to do some level adjustments, crops and B/W's but don't need to make changes to the content of their images would be very satisfied with what Picasa can do.

Try that, it's free. If and when you find you need to do more, go to the next step.

Flash Hit
06-08-2010, 2:47pm
For great FREE editing and lots of other terrific fun things try PHOTOSCAPE at http://download.cnet.com/PhotoScape/3000-2192_4-10703122.html
For PANORAMA work try ICE (Image Composite Editor)from Microsoft at http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ICE/
Simply put, they're FREE & EASY.

aycee
07-08-2010, 8:36am
Start with Gimp and go on from there..it really is quite good.....and free and would do most thing that the expensive ones do just as well

if and when you master Gimp and would like the best then get out the wallet and buy Photoshop

Alan!

peterb666
07-08-2010, 8:58am
Picasa is free and probably the easiest to use but has some limitations, e.g. no noise reduction but other aspects of it are brilliant.

Paint Shop Pro and Elements are reasonably priced. I have used Paint Shop Pro and I find it very easy to use. I haven't tried Elements so cannot comment.

I am trying my best with Photoshop and find it infuriating for some things such as adjusting colour balance. The menu structure is terrible with some stuff under the Image menu and a lot of what I would consider basic editing stuff you might expect to also be in the Image menu is in the Filter menu. I find some of the controls more difficult than others.

I have used ACDSee which is another cheapie (around the price of Elements and PaintShop Pro) and found it easy to use too.

I have used GIMP and found it hideously slow. It is almost as difficult to use as Photoshop but the price is right (free)

You might start using Picasa and see how you go as it is a no cost solution and the simplist of programs to use. If noise in your images is a problem, you could use dedicated noise reduction software to supliment Picasa.

Miss Ella
09-08-2010, 10:24pm
Microsoft Digital Imaging is a cheap one and really easy to use but PSE is 100 times better and PSE8 can process RAW images.

SimonKH
09-08-2010, 10:51pm
I like Photoshop not cheep
and ACDSee it see most raws and it is fast to draw on screen some can take abit to put pic on screen. Also not cheep but it works.

Bubbleyboy
01-09-2010, 10:23pm
As a Student I was looking at Creative Suite 5 master collection , I realise that this is a profesional level program collection but as a student I may be able to get it for $500 a big saving on retail.
Would this be too much for a beginner to take on or should I get this while I am studying as I dont think I could afford it later on (around $5000) .
To buy elements 8 premier and lightroom 3 would cost $300 (so for another 200 I could get a suite with a potential to do anything Im likley to tackle.

Kym
01-09-2010, 10:32pm
CS5 master collection is ALL the adobe products bar Lightroom.
(eg. sound, video, web (dreamwaver))
So... will you use all that? Or is Photoshop CS5 extended enough (student version)

Adobe will replace CS5 in about 12 months and new cameras will 'need' the latest.

Keep you software cost down, put the money into glass !!

Also: Edu Adobe licenses cannot be used for commercial purposes

peterking
01-09-2010, 11:47pm
First question is what platform, PC or Mac?
First suggestion is get free trial copies.
If you are going to by then books can be a big help.
I've got a Mac and PSE8 and Scott Kelby's book. The book was the best investment.

macmich
02-09-2010, 7:35am
i see what you are saying about the write up
i think that is the worst write up for any product i have seen
macca

rellik666
02-09-2010, 8:22am
I would advise you download a trial of lightroom, it has changed my life.....really easy to use, handles RAW, gives you the most common requirements, (exposure, filters, cropping, spot healing, contrast etc) in one package with the storage solution.

I have CS5 and have very little use for it. Most of the adjustments I need are in lightroom....wish I had jumped on this band wagon a lot earlier!

Roo

wattsgallery
02-09-2010, 11:29am
I use Lightroom and love it. It is one of the only pieces of software I go out of my way to buy as I think its worth it. Whatever option you are thinking of at least download the trial of LR and compare it.

I use GIMP if I need to do anything with layers but Lightroom is a 98% full solution for me.

bigdazzler
02-09-2010, 2:16pm
Lightroom Lightroom Lightroom Lightroom Lightroom ....have I said that already somewhere in this thread ?? Maybe ...

ving
02-09-2010, 2:43pm
I use psp12....

but you cant get cheaper than free so look for irfanview and the associated raw plugin. it is so easy to use but limited. if you dont want to do too much processing than this would be the way to go.

things have taken a turn for the frustratingly funny... PSP12 doesnt support D90 Nef files!!!! :(

so now i am converting to tif in irfanview and processing in PSP.

got a D90? you might not want PSP...

maccaroneski
02-09-2010, 2:50pm
David you should check out View NX 2 (free) if you are just converting to TIFF and passing them on to PSP.

johnno02
27-10-2010, 1:07am
For great FREE editing and lots of other terrific fun things try PHOTOSCAPE at http://download.cnet.com/PhotoScape/3000-2192_4-10703122.html
For PANORAMA work try ICE (Image Composite Editor)from Microsoft at http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ICE/
Simply put, they're FREE & EASY.

I totally agree PhotoScape is my favourite Editor,

Easy to use for us newbies,does everything I could ever want as an Amateur
Wildlife photographer.

Its at least worth a try.
Regards.
John

salnel
02-11-2010, 2:22pm
Being very new to both photography and editing programs, I did not know what to get but I downloaded the trail of lightroom 3 and I think it is brilliant. I also have PS cs5 but I am finding that 98% of my editing is done in lightroom.If I need to I can finish it in Photoshop. Lr 3 will also upload photos direct to flickr and facebook. I have yet to learn all the features but I find it so easy to use and it is non-destructive. You can make as many virtual copies of your original as you want and use the same image for all sorts of effects.I would recommend this to any one wanting a powerful but easy to use program (and, if you are a student) it is no where near as expensive as PS.

Bubbleyboy
03-11-2010, 9:57pm
After starting at 1000kph to learn "everything" about everything after starting a digital media course at tafe and stumbling onto this site some things have stood out.
*research as much as you can about anything before parting with any dollars.
*there is no "BEST" in most areas,just some that suit some better than others.
*most programs are available as a trial so try before you buy and see if it stacks up
*No programs come "naturally" all must be learned and used to hone your skills to a level that allows you to become comefortable getting it to do what you want it to.
*adobe LIGHTROOM seems to be a starter program and the one to start with for cataloging and simple adjusting of pictures . Not a simple program to master be more than capable of suiting the need of a beginner.
For me I am using (trying to) LIGHTROOM 3 on a trial for now and will trial PS5 when I am confident with LR3 . (Will probably purchase after trial is over) . Its a slower process than I thought it would be , you have to work at it and get assistance to progress.

Bubbleyboy

theking
11-11-2010, 11:30am
I use iphoto as it came with the mac when I purchased it, I'm thinking about upgrading to Aperture- do anyone know where to a get a guide from?

SNAFU II
04-12-2010, 9:36am
Hi,

I have Photoshop Elements 8, I brought it when I brought my new computer.
But when I went to try and use it, It was OMG... how will I ever learn to use this thing.
So I did a online search and came up with these guys,http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/

And I have to tell you, they are fantastic. For me anyway, they have so many Tuts
and so easy to learn from, I learn best buy watching, they have a video on every Tut,
so easy to just follow along. There is also a fantastic forum, so you will never get stuck.
There is so much more.

Well worth it if you go PSE.

Cheers
couchie

Hi couchie and everyone..i am a new member and have just recently bought a SONY SLT-A33 camera and with my deal i got Photoshop Elements 8 with another disc Premier Elements 8..i installed the software and opened it and thought wow how do i use this..so thanks couchie for putting up that website,i now have a better idea on what i am doin...:th3:...cheers Mick!!!

Genna
30-01-2011, 11:26pm
Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between say Photoshop Elements, CS5 Photoshop and Photoshop Lightroom 3?

Genna
30-01-2011, 11:28pm
Does PhotoScape work on Macs??

pkaye2004
31-01-2011, 12:52am
For many years before moving up to Photoshop CS3 I used a program called Photoimpact. Had many of the features of Photoshop especially layers, web publishing and was light on CPU requirements. Best of all the version was free without limitations on a magazine cover CD.

Mikepaus
31-01-2011, 10:50am
I use a mac and have photoshop elements 7 Mac version. I am considering upgrading to elements 9 but have also looked at a Mac program called Pixelmator doe anyone have any experience with this program

itybitypieces
31-01-2011, 5:43pm
a few years ago in the days of jasc i would have recommended paintshop pro but these days with corel now doing it i cant ,for me paintshop pro x3 wont even load under windows 7 even in compatibility mode.and i tried every thing to get it to run,

i do run photoshop cs5 but i wouldnt recommend that either as it is not beginner friendly.

gimp or gimpshop are the way to go for a beginner.

picassa is also a great program even if its just to catalouge photos

etherial
31-01-2011, 7:00pm
Forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between say Photoshop Elements, CS5 Photoshop and Photoshop Lightroom 3?

Hi Genna, in a nut shell:

Photoshop CS5 - the full editing package, very complex, capable of amazing things, full layers etc, expensive and big learning curve.
Photoshop Elements - cut down version of cs5, for editing single photos using layers etc, cheapest of the three, reasonable learning curve.
Photoshop Lightroom - More suited to managing heaps of images as a full catalouge, has excellent imaging editing for multiple images and a basic set of adjustment brushes that do the job 95% of the time.

I use lightroom 95% of the time, and venture to cs5 when I need to do some complex editing which isn't often.

If I was buying just one, it would be Lightroom without hesitation.

strictfunctor
07-02-2011, 11:26pm
If you have an up-to-date Mac, the show-stopper of the new Mac App Store is Aperture for a lot less than it used to be (can't see the price as it just shows "Installed" for me. Aperture is not a whole lot harder to use than iPhoto, but much more capable. You can do everything in it that iPhoto does, and a lot of the jobs that you might otherwise use PhotoShop for. It takes plug-ins, and with particularly the Nik suite, you can do a lot * removed: Members with less than 50 posts and/or 30 days membership cannot complain about services/product/companies or people * . Since it's still available outside the App store, there's still the opportunity to try it for free.

cowboydave
09-02-2011, 3:19pm
Hi All, so the program you get with you camera is that just a very basic one? I have just bought myself a Canon 550D EOS and it come with its own program and I have been trying to play around with it a bit but apart from cropping and zooming dont really know what else to do with it. Did not come with a manual as such but a help guide on disc format but I still struggle a bit. I guess what I am asking is should I keep trying to figure this program out or am I better of getting something better..:confused013

Love to take the pictures but not enjoying the editing side of things yet, I know you can do allot in the editing side but just have not figure that out yet.

itybitypieces
09-02-2011, 5:34pm
have not used the canon software b4 ,as i own a pentax camera and is different software silky pix. my recommendations are if you are an absolute beginer with editing software give picasa 3 software a go.and when you feel comfortable with using that software ,give gimp a try.which is also free.just google it .

strictfunctor
09-02-2011, 10:20pm
Hi All, so the program you get with you camera is that just a very basic one? I have just bought myself a Canon 550D EOS and it come with its own program and I have been trying to play around with it a bit but apart from cropping and zooming dont really know what else to do with it. Did not come with a manual as such but a help guide on disc format but I still struggle a bit. I guess what I am asking is should I keep trying to figure this program out or am I better of getting something better..:confused013

Love to take the pictures but not enjoying the editing side of things yet, I know you can do allot in the editing side but just have not figure that out yet.

The Canon software does have its uses. There are multiple programs in there. One lets you do important configurations, like embedding your name in every photo and tethered shooting. If you shoot in raw, then Canon argue that the best conversion from raw for your camera is done with their software, and the only one that converts using the picture style you selected on the camera.