PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop CS5 installation issues

ricktas
14-05-2010, 4:08pm
A couple of days ago I installed the trial version of Photoshop CS5 extended onto my laptop. This afternoon I decided it was time to install it on my desktop system and give it a good look over

Win 7, 64 bit system.

Installation of the 64 bit version went without a hitch, but the 32 bit version falied to install (twice). I need the 32 bit version as well cause my Nik Software plugins do not work in the 64 bit version yet.

After much searching of the net and a phone call to Adobe we came across the solution. Even though my user account on my system had administrator access, for some reason it would not work. Adobe got me to create a new administrator called : Admin : change to that user and install. It worked straight away.

The error I was getting was :
WARNING: OS requirements not met for {7DFEBBA4-81E1-425B-BBAA-06E9E5BBD97E}

And for information there is an Abobe CS5 installation troubleshooting guide here : http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/829/cpsid_82942.html

This issue is being reported on the net on various forums and seems the solution is to have an Administrator account called Admin, and install from that user.

Lani
14-05-2010, 5:37pm
be interesting to see how you find it Rick, and whether it is worth upgrading from CS4.

arthurking83
14-05-2010, 7:02pm
I'm also curious as to if there is any performance increase in using the 64bit version on a 64bit OS, compared to using the 32bit version(on a 64bit system). Could make a difference depending on how much RAM is installed on your 'puter of course.

As you may know, I recently finished building, my new PC, which of the sake of future proofing is all 64bit, including Win7.

But I have no 64bit capable software yet(CaptureNX is still only 32bit.. but I've read rumours that there is a 64bit version coming for both PC and Mac).
I only got myself 4Gig ram to begin with, as I was budget limited at the time, and wasting RAM on programs that won't use it is not an efficient way to spend money.

PC is hilariously quick too!

and a small BTW too: I spent over 5 hours on Sunday morning, from 7AM to after 12 trying to install my Quicken accounting software due to their totally incompetent software programming abilities.
The software I bought was an old version(v8) combined with a newer version(2004), which was the upgrade CD. So to install v2004, I had to have a copy of v8 installed. Easy!(easier said than done!!) 2004 wouldn't install with v8 installed and insisted I uninstalled v8, then upon intstalling v2004, it returned an error saying that this is an upgrade version and required a valid installation of Quicken on the PC!! :crzy:

Talk about a god forsaken endless loop!.. and I was almost tempted to search for a cracked version of the stupid program(I'm starting to get desperate coz I haven't done any accounting since Oct 09!)

in the end I found and downloaded a trial version of 2004, that installed over my v8 and I used my CD key to register the trial version.. even though I already have the 2004 version on CD!!

I was >< close to calling it quits and declaring myself bankrupt... just to save myself any more headaches that Sunday morning.. being Mothers Day too.

I hate it when incompetent programming, or software development makes life so annoying!

main thing is you got it sorted :th3:

ricktas
14-05-2010, 7:16pm
64 bit photoshop is faster, but... it is nothing to go WOW at. Yes at things like merging for a pano you gain a slight speed difference and the 64 bit version does render the final merged pano slightly faster. It is not so fast though that you think YEEEESSSS, this is what its all about!

pgbphotographytas
17-05-2010, 11:33am
I have had / seen a few issues with Win7 and installing software at work. It seems that even if you have an account with admin rights it won't install, if you log on using the administrator account it all works fine.

dieselpower
17-05-2010, 12:20pm
Windows 7 uses a technology called User Account Control - so when you're an admin on the machine you still don't have admin rights (for security reasons, it makes it much harder for an attacker to get admin rights on your machine).

As some have found, you need to logon as Administrator to install these (it is the only true admin account in Windows 7 as installed out of the box). There's also a handy right-click option called 'Run as Administrator'. You can right click on a setup file (or another application) and choose this, and the setup process will run with administrative rights. It is also possible to disable the User Account Control however I wouldn't recommend this as it provides an avenue for attackers to more easily gain admin rights.

pgbphotographytas
17-05-2010, 1:12pm
Windows 7 uses a technology called User Account Control - so when you're an admin on the machine you still don't have admin rights (for security reasons, it makes it much harder for an attacker to get admin rights on your machine).

As some have found, you need to logon as Administrator to install these (it is the only true admin account in Windows 7 as installed out of the box). There's also a handy right-click option called 'Run as Administrator'. You can right click on a setup file (or another application) and choose this, and the setup process will run with administrative rights. It is also possible to disable the User Account Control however I wouldn't recommend this as it provides an avenue for attackers to more easily gain admin rights.

I use "run as" quite a bit but even doing that at times does not work. Some techs have admin access but for security reasons don't have the administrator password so I have to at times log them in :(

maccaroneski
17-05-2010, 2:44pm
But I have no 64bit capable software yet(CaptureNX is still only 32bit.. but I've read rumours that there is a 64bit version coming for both PC and Mac).

So is Christmas Arthur.... :)

And Christmas comes more regularly than NX updates :)

BLWNHR
18-05-2010, 8:02pm
be interesting to see how you find it Rick, and whether it is worth upgrading from CS4.

Lani, I skipped CS4 completely. Some of the other software in the Master Suite caused me so many dramas I stuck with CS3. I've now got CS5, and although there is nothing earth shatteringly new in there, it has enough that it is worth the upgrade. However, if you've not long bought CS4 I would stick with it and get your monies worth.

I'm also curious as to if there is any performance increase in using the 64bit version on a 64bit OS, compared to using the 32bit version(on a 64bit system). Could make a difference depending on how much RAM is installed on your 'puter of course.

CS5 runs like a dream on my 3 year old Dell 1420 laptop with 64-bit Win7 Ultimate. Basic specs are: Core2Duo 1.66GHz, 2.0GB RAM, Intel on-board video.

It runs equally well on my work machine; Core2Quad 2.40GHz, 4GB DDR2, Leadtek Quadro video, WinXP Pro 32-bit.

I only got myself 4Gig ram to begin with, as I was budget limited at the time, and wasting RAM on programs that won't use it is not an efficient way to spend money.

I would highly recommend buying the biggest SSD you can find. PS uses the page file heavily and a quality SSD makes more difference to the speed of this program than RAM or CPU.

pgbphotographytas
18-05-2010, 8:44pm
Lani, I skipped CS4 completely. Some of the other software in the Master Suite caused me so many dramas I stuck with CS3. I've now got CS5, and although there is nothing earth shatteringly new in there, it has enough that it is worth the upgrade. However, if you've not long bought CS4 I would stick with it and get your monies worth.

CS5 runs like a dream on my 3 year old Dell 1420 laptop with 64-bit Win7 Ultimate. Basic specs are: Core2Duo 1.66GHz, 2.0GB RAM, Intel on-board video.

It runs equally well on my work machine; Core2Quad 2.40GHz, 4GB DDR2, Leadtek Quadro video, WinXP Pro 32-bit.

I would highly recommend buying the biggest SSD you can find. PS uses the page file heavily and a quality SSD makes more difference to the speed of this program than RAM or CPU.

Thanks for that info Adam, what is the speed difference like between CS3 and CS5? I am going to be rolling it out at work soon.

ricktas
18-05-2010, 8:52pm
I did a test with CS5 on my PC with a merged pano of 8 NEF raw files. Using CS5 in 64 bit did process it a lot faster than the same test in CS4 in 32 bit. I didn't time it, but it certainly was faster at that task. I should do a timed comparison.