PDA

View Full Version : Doing my first baby portrait

QueenBeesWax
14-05-2010, 12:17pm
My friend has a new baby and she's going to let me take some baby pics in the weekend.

I'm taking 2 backdrops, black and white, because that's what I like. And I don't want anything in the background distracting her.

It's an indoor shot, with pretty good natural lighting, I'm only taking my speedlite an umbrella, a reflector and backdrop with me.

I've just been reading my Nikon manual on flash. Would you use a flash? Would I have it on Front Curtain sync?

Any tips for shooting small babies, she's about 6 weeks old.

Tikira
14-05-2010, 12:47pm
Hi
I can't help re flash etc, others will be along to help there I am sure, but the best advice I can give re poses etc is do a search in Formal and Posed section for Minnum. Her work is incredible, and well worth checking out for ideas on posing etc.
I envy you having a baby to practice on- they are so much fun if they are "in the mood" or asleep.
Di

QueenBeesWax
14-05-2010, 2:20pm
I just looked at Minnum's photo's, WOW, they're really nice!

ricktas
14-05-2010, 2:40pm
what gear are you planning to use. Ie, what camera and lens?

QueenBeesWax
14-05-2010, 2:52pm
D300 and probably use a 18-135mm lens?

I'm a bit worried about using a flash if the baby is awake, and it flashing into her eyes? I have a speedlite, but doesn't your camera flash need to be on for it to sync?

Adrian Fischer
14-05-2010, 2:57pm
I use radio triggers and also flash to trigger other flashes. I think from memory that when set up right the on camera just puts a out a weak flash just for the purpose of triggering your off camera flash. As long as the speedlite can see the flash from the oncamera it should work. May pay to read up on it.

Im impressed with your attitude. Youve gone from posting that you have little or now experience to now shooting with backdrops and off camera flash. Well done.

QueenBeesWax
14-05-2010, 5:28pm
Mmmmm, I spose I could put something over the camera flash so it doesn't flash in the babies eyes, but would still let the speedlite flash? What do you reckon?

Does anyone know what these are, I found them in my camera bag.

ricktas
14-05-2010, 5:51pm
You tell us, you bought them, what is their purpose?

kiwi
14-05-2010, 6:03pm
Mmmmm, I spose I could put something over the camera flash so it doesn't flash in the babies eyes, but would still let the speedlite flash? What do you reckon?

Does anyone know what these are, I found them in my camera bag.

Intergalactic walkie talkie ?

Seriously, How's stuff arrive in your photo bag ? Did you buy a second hand kit or something ?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QueenBeesWax
14-05-2010, 6:04pm
haha, I wouldn't have a clue, I brought all my Nikon stuff from someone, he said something about being able to make the camera go remotely, (I don't think he'd even used it) but he didn't show me how to use it, and unfortunately I didn't take it all in at the time.

I just looked up the product, and it looks like it could be a remote shutter release. I'll have to have a hunt around for a cord, it might be in another bag of stuff I've got.

ricktas
14-05-2010, 6:07pm
haha, I wouldn't have a clue, I brought all my Nikon stuff from someone, he said something about being able to make the camera go remotely, (I don't think he'd even used it) but he didn't show me how to use it, and unfortunately I didn't take it all in at the time.

I just looked up the product, and it looks like it could be a remote shutter release. I'll have to have a hunt around for a cord, it might be in another bag of stuff I've got.

Umm, so you have had your gear since at least Aug 2008, but haven't tried to find out what some of is it, and you bought stuff that you had no idea what you were buying. :confused013

kiwi
14-05-2010, 6:08pm
Yes, I have the same one. No cord required, it's radio triggered. It's plug fits a socket you'll find hidden under a rubber cover on the top right front of the camera.

I'm not exactly sure what the black cigarette case is though I suspect it may be an external battery pack fir your flash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QueenBeesWax
14-05-2010, 6:36pm
Yes, brought the camera's and gear in 2008, it's a long long story, but part of a business deal that we were doing, which turned to custard, so was depressed about the whole thing for quite a while, (lost lots of money, blah, blah, blah), so didn't really want to have anything to do with it so to speak.

Had brought a Canon a couple of years before that for our wedding, so had only been fiddling around with that, until recently I thought I'd start using the Nikon, and have been slowly going through 2 bags full of stuff.

The more I've been using both cameras, the more I've become interested in photography, before that I just snapped away at anything and everything

QueenBeesWax
14-05-2010, 6:39pm
And the more I've become interested in photography, the more I've starting experimenting and become interested in what the camera actually does.

darylcheshire
18-05-2010, 9:40pm
Years ago, digital camera adverts seem to show photos of babies with food smeared all over their mouths. I don't know if people find that appealing but I suppose you can try one shot with ice cream or vegemite or melted chocolate.

Any mealtime is a good time. Use a filter on your lens.

Daryl