PDA

View Full Version : Macro Lens

kazdez
10-05-2010, 3:51pm
I would like to try to take Macro of insects, and don't know what lens to use. I cannot afford a macro lens at the moment, so am looking for alternatives and suggestions, and tips. My current lens are 18-250 Tamron zoom, and the standard kit lens, and in about 6 weeks will have my new Nikon 70 - 300 vr lens. Can I use extension tubes with these lens
I don't know enough about lens to understand all the techie jargon on here, so please go easy... just a newbie

Karen

Dark Mist
10-05-2010, 6:49pm
I'm no expert but I think you'll find it easier to get good results using a prime lens with extension tubes than the zooms.

Redgum
10-05-2010, 7:22pm
There are always work-arounds but you really do need a macro lens to do macro work successfully. Is there any reason at this stage why you're getting another long zoom rather than say a macro or prime lens?:)

kazdez
10-05-2010, 8:45pm
There are always work-arounds but you really do need a macro lens to do macro work successfully. Is there any reason at this stage why you're getting another long zoom rather than say a macro or prime lens?:)

my current lens is not a VR and as I do a lot of handheld work I feel that I need a lens with VR. I am planning in the next few months to get a prime.

Karen

Redgum
10-05-2010, 10:49pm
I guess it's a matter of priorities. Work out what sort of photography you like to do most and buy those lens that you need. Many lens can double up and a macro lens (say 100mm) can also work well with portraits. Unfortunately it all comes down to money, or the lack of it.
On the professional side (when money's short) we can hire lens but that's not always practical as a hobby.

simonr23
11-05-2010, 5:13pm
i've used my 70-300vr with the screw on close up lens adaptors. a +4 gives good results at 70-100mm. you do lose image quality though in the outer parts of the frame, and if i try using it at the larger end of the 'zoom' the quality is pretty bad all round.

wideangle
11-05-2010, 5:46pm
Have you considered getting extension tubes? They are a cheap and good way of trying out macro photography. I forget the brand, but you can get sets for around $150 on ebay that will let you play around without having to shell out for a macro.

mcdesign
11-05-2010, 6:58pm
Karen the Kenko tubes will work with your 18-250, I have used them on my 18-200, also Tamron (http://www.shopbot.com.au/pp-tamron-sp-af90mm-f2-8-di-macro-11-price-97287-1965172.html) make an excellent macro lens that isn't expensive, quite a few people have them on here and take great shots with it, you can also use the Kenko tubes with that lens. Have fun!

wideangle
11-05-2010, 8:28pm
That's the brand - the ones that Margaret mentioned - kenko tubes. And if in the future you decide to buy a dedicated macro lend the tubes will go beyond the 1:1 magnification which is a bonus

GJC
01-06-2010, 3:44pm
Yep - I agree - The Kenko Tubes are a good investment, you can get a set of three (12mm, 20mm, 36mm) delivered for about $170.

Cheers,
GJC